Small development in Adelaide.

For those SS members who knows the Adealide area.

I am looking, down the track a bit to do a small multy dwelling development. Such as dual occupancy, or three townhouse or maybe a four unit development.

I am totally unfamiliar with the Adelaide market and would very much appreciate some feedback regarding areas to research, any pitfalls to watch out for etc.

The intention would be to build rent and hold.

I would be looking to buy the site in the next 12 to 18 months or earlier given the right deal shows up and develop in 18 to 24 months.

All and any info much appreciated.

Cheers.

Chrisv

Chris,

there are plenty in the Northern suburbs but margins are small and I would not go near anything beyond salisbury.

Best areas are Ethelton and surrounds, as well as suburbs in the Charles sturt and west torrens distrcts. that's where all of our properties are!

Development sites in those areas are very hard to come by at the moment. Every one wants them. :D:D ;)

mines up forsale 700 sqm 16m frontage enough ? otherswise look for close to beach location western suburbs

just interested if you know how much it cost to built 4x units on block like this ?

Hey Atti,

Out of interest what sort of price are you looking at and where (suburb) exactly is it?

As for development sites...the ones that make a decent profit are hard to come by but still out there..i guess it depends on what sort of return you're looking at because what we would even consider taking a 2nd glance at (profit-wise) may be something others would jump at.

In terms of areas...we would look at any area. Obviously there are dodgy suburbs like any state but so long as there are sales data to back up your estimated sale prices and make a decent profit, everything is worth looking at. What may not be a suburb we would consider living in ourselves may well be a suburb that has a high level of potential buyers because of its affordibility. We know several developers who have made alot of money in the areas most would tend to avoid!

From our experience, Port Adelaide Enfield Council have been an easier Council to deal with and more flexible than most. Marion isn't too bad either but Council's we would avoid are Burnside and Mitcham. Now if there's a fairly straight forward complying development then obviously go for it and you shouldn't have many probs but they are known to generally be 'strict' and a pain to deal with.

mines up forsale 700 sqm 16m frontage enough ? otherswise look for close to beach location western suburbs

just interested if you know how much it cost to built 4x units on block like this ?

Hi Atti,

Where is it?

No, I have no idea of building costs in SA. This is my very first and preliminary foray into Adelaide. We will be retiring (??:eek::D:D) to KI in a couple of years and are interested in playing with RE in that region.

Thanks for the info kimanand. This sort of info is invaluable and saves a huge amount of time trying to sort the market.

I also would be interested to hear about any REAs you guys may have had good service and advice from.

I really appreciate everybody's input. Please keep it coming.

Cheers.

Chrisv.

Last edited:
NOT2L8, lots of development going on in inner northern suburbs of Enfield and Clearview. Still plenty of houses on blocks big enough for 2, although hard to find blocks that will give you the option of dble garage dwellings. Land values continue to increase in the area (though not much available, most are building houses before selling) - 6-8km from CBD along good transport routes, near future super school, shopping etc. Adjacent to more expensive suburbs of Prospect, Sefton Park, Broadview etc.

hi, my house is in my signature but if u missed it, its on quiet nice size street, 10 owen street woodville north, 7km from cbd 7 from beach 5 from port adelaide, close to the park/ tennis court, heaps of new houses going up and blocks getting split up atm.

I am totally unfamiliar with the Adelaide market and would very much appreciate some feedback regarding areas to research, any pitfalls to watch out for etc.

Try and stay away from the Tea Tree Gully Council area (North East of Adelaide) if you can. I have seen so many developers have so many problems with this council. They protect every tree, significant or not and their storm water systems are useless so you have to have retention/detention tanks if your site coverage is more than a certain amount. Allot of the council area is also on common effluent so getting a sewerage system in place can also be costly. I would recommend looking outside of this council area if you can.

Out of interest what sort of price are you looking at

You seem like a nice country lad Chris, who would enjoy a bit of elbow room.

At the right price, the wife and I may be encouraged to sell our little Adelaide shed. It's on an 8 acre block about 10km from the CBD. You could start up your own little farm.

A few cows and chickens, grow a variety of vegies - that sort of thing - great in a recession.

Let us know via PM if you are interested.

You seem like a nice country lad Chris, who would enjoy a bit of elbow room.

At the right price, the wife and I may be encouraged to sell our little Adelaide shed. It's on an 8 acre block about 10km from the CBD. You could start up your own little farm.

A few cows and chickens, grow a variety of vegies - that sort of thing - great in a recession.

Let us know via PM if you are interested.

Geez Dazz, you picked me in one.

Unfotunately???:D:D......our little farm on KI settled last Friday and I am looking forward to getting it all set up in the next couple of years. Recession or not.

First cab off the rank is the four bay shed.......the shed we have to have. ;)Chook coup, fruit trees, vegie garden, the driveway long enough to not be able to see the road.

The house green with solar power feeding into the grid and composting toilets and rainwater tanks big enough to swim in and recycled grey water.

When you get to town there are no traffic lights and the local rag boasts about the excitement created by the local copper booking a 60 year old hoon for turning a corner without indicating.

Poeple of all ages smile and return your greeting whether they know you or not......and soon they do.

King george whiting, squid, pink snapper and fresh pacific oysters for the taking if and when you want.

Yep, you picked me in one.

Thanks for the offer Dazz, but I sure would not want to live that close to the CBD. Can't stand the smell of all those exhaust fumes and all the traffic and poeple.

Cheers and happy hunting.

Chrisv

Can't stand the smell of all those exhaust fumes and all the traffic and people.

Yeah - fair enough.

Having lived there for over 3 years, I concur that the people in Adelaide do smell quite putrid. I think it's the water they drink, but dunno for sure. They all reckoned we'd get used to their pong, but the wife and I had to get outta there.

The olfactory senses can only take so much abuse.

whats the right price ? wheres ya shed ? =]

i am looking for 290-310 for my block wanna swap ? :D

that sounds like a very nice lifestyle chris, something i would like.

small multy dwelling development. Such as dual occupancy, or three townhouse or maybe a four unit development..

..The intention would be to build rent and hold...

...I would be looking to buy the site in the next 12 to 18 months or earlier given the right deal shows up and develop in 18 to 24 months.

All and any info much appreciated.

Cheers.

Chrisv
Southern suburbs, around Marion shopping centre (say 3 km radius) or futher south, Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga, Seaford, Moana.

Still lots of development going on in those areas, the soil around Marion is better (cheaper footings) than futhre south. Prices are similar, further south is closer to beach but further from Adelaide.

Which area will increase the quickest? dunno! but I like both areas and will be building in them.

Cheers
Graeme

A great big thank you to all the respondents. Some valuable advice there.

Don't stop now, too much is never enough.;):D

Cheers

Chrisv.

Another big thumbs up for the Port Adelaide Enfield Council. They approved our sub division and plans in 5 days. Have not found anyone that has had theirs approved faster than that!! They are really "Pro" development. Our development is in Windsor Gardens. Sub dividable blocks in there still for < $350,000. Some of the corner blocks are workable so that the dwellings can be built with double garages.

I do like that area, close to public transport and 8km from the city.

Gools

We've got a development in Windsor Gardens as well (again a suburb within PAE Council) and that subdivision went through quite quick with no issues...

There are alot of blocks going for $350Kish that are subdividable but i'd imagine the developer would be making a loss if he/she were only able to split into 2 homes....even with Double Garages??

Blocks that are subdividable from 1 into 2 you'd need to buy for an absolute bargain in order to make a decent profit these days.....the ones that can make you money are the multi dwelling sites (3-4 + units) these days.

Back