Short message spamming?

Being friends with female twenty-somethings and teenagers, I'm prone to receiving a ridiculous number of text messages most days.

But, I just received one (literally, only a minute ago) from a number that I don't recognise but suspect is not exactly local;

856207349489 said:
You won $123,000 AUD, send your email address by sms text message to +856207349489 so we can send you an email with more information on how to claim the money.

According to the spam act your message is illegal. It has no unsubscribe information.

Australian text messages must have unsubscribe information if they are commercial.

I think country code 856 is Laos. So I'd suspect they don't have much respect for Australian spam laws.

its because his mothers uncle brothers cousin died , and his billionaire fortune cant be released , so once you blow your savings and send them in multible off shore accounts we will put you into a draw, so you can recieve, 60 million dollers in US notes, its alll above bord , But don't tell anny one, :rolleyes:
Please! don't go for this crap.

Absolutely no use replying - clearly fake.

After all, I received one just a day or two ago by email so the money is already mine... but maybe you are a long-lost rellie?????
Marg

Here's some more info on scams. This particular info relates to Bank related scams.

· CBA customers, and some non customers are currently receiving significant amount of emails (Phishing), automated phone calls (Vishing), and SMS text messages (Smishing) from criminal and unknown sources pretending to be the Commonwealth Bank requesting their account details

· Also believed to be targeting both Westpac and St George customers with Vishing attacks.

Source is believed to be criminals located offshore that have set up an automated voice dialling system that is calling Australian telephone numbers at random, and not specifically Commonwealth Bank customers.

A recorded voice claims to be from the Commonwealth Bank and asks the recipient to call the Bank on another number that looks like a domestic phone number. A recorded message asks the customer to provide their Card number and PIN. The automated voice dialling system is duplicating calls to the same number.

The calls are random i.e. to customers and non customers. The fraudsters have purchased marketing lists created such as when people enter competitions to obtain customer phone numbers. These are freely available for sale. They are also using a predictive dialler which just keeps generating and ringing high volumes of customers automatically.

The Commonwealth Bank does not contact customers seeking personal information including asking for customer account numbers, PINS or 3-digit CVV numbers.

Note: CVV numbers are only on Credit Cards and Debit MasterCards.

The best protection is awareness. All customers should be mindful of the potential threat of hoax emails, and now telephone and SMS scams. Customers should remain vigilant and remember if an offer seems too good to be true, then it probably is. Some things to look out for are:

· Email requests for private information or to collect prizes/rewards;

· Email requests to confirm payments pending;

· Poor grammar and punctuation;

· Foreign voice recordings;

· Unusual or unrecognisable email or phone details

· Embedded Web Links/email address ‘click throughs’;

i'm selling my kingswood and have been contacted by a scammer.

it's so much fun playing along, setting up paypal accounts under Joseph C Stalin, asking for phone numbers which they don't have because it was cut off (really? how do you access the internet? must be a pain using a cafe all the time)...

have fun with it. send them spam instead.

I don't understand why but people must reply to them otherwise they wouldn't persist for so long.

I wonder how many people do reply back???

Received same SMS a week and 1/2 ago.
I loved the fact they wanted me to txt them my email address - Just to double the chances of me being ripped off.

Just like mass marketing but more sinister.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Here's some more info on scams. This particular info relates to Bank related scams.

· CBA customers, and some non customers are currently receiving significant amount of emails (Phishing), automated phone calls (Vishing), and SMS text messages (Smishing) from criminal and unknown sources pretending to be the Commonwealth Bank requesting their account details

· Also believed to be targeting both Westpac and St George customers with Vishing attacks.;

Can't believe people still fall for this after all these years.... and they must or else the "overseas criminals" wouldn't keep doing it

I have only had 1 or 2 sms spams over the year but my email account is getting hit everyday now with all sorts.
They started with CBA (which I have an account with) then St George, Credit Union Australia (don't have any of these) and now the new one.....ATO tax refund :rolleyes: I wish it was true :D
When you open the emails they are always sent from some way off email address so its still pretty amaturish effort but as everyone said, it must be working or they would stop sending them. My brother said he opened a CBA one and went to its website for a look (he doesn't have an a/c) and said it was a good copy though.

Back