Settlement Agent - Perth

Hi All

I have never bought in Perth before and was wondering if anyone could recommend a quality settlement agent that covers the Perth northern suburbs?

We are looking at buying an established 4x2 house and there are no special issues with the property, so it should be a fairly straightforward conveyance. What would be a reasonable fee for a settlement agent to charge in this scenario?

Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Angela :)

Different states have different terminology. What exactly is a 'settlement agent' in WA?

In NSW a solicitor would do the conveyancing and then maybe hire someone to go to the settlement and do the handover - these people are called settlement agents here.

Different states have different terminology. What exactly is a 'settlement agent' in WA?

In NSW a solicitor would do the conveyancing and then maybe hire someone to go to the settlement and do the handover - these people are called settlement agents here.

A Conveyancer; funnily enough they used to be a shop or two down from a real estate agents office and hold a different name though 'controlled' by the same persons ;)

Your REA would always recommend the conveyancer a shop or two down if you did not have one, as they 'always' used them and gave them a good rap.

Australian Institute of Conveyancers WA Division - AICWA link

I use Lorenza at LDL settlement services for all my Buyers' Agency deals and my own personal transactions. I don't get any financial incentive/kick back for referring to her, but she makes my life super easy. This is much more important!

http://www.ldlsetts.com.au/

I've only purchased in WA once. We used "Evolution Settlements" in Osborne Park, and won't go anywhere near them again.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the many replies to my post! :D By way of some feedback, I contacted three of the settlement agents recommended in this thread and I have to say that Focus Settlements was by far the best. As would be obvious from my original post, I have no association with this company and did not even know of them until they were recommended by Redwing.

I have only ever bought property in NSW and Qld, both of which are very different to WA when it comes to making an offer and at what point a buyer is contractually bound. Not only did Focus have a competitive discounted fee but the person I spoke to was very generous with his time and advice when helping to educate me on the whole offer process here in WA. It was obvious that he knew his stuff!

Hopefully that might help someone else looking to buy in the Perth northern suburbs. Thanks again for the replies!

Any insights to share for anyone who stumbles on this thread later?

Okay here goes...these are some of the key points that I wrote down as best I could during the call. However, please accept the usual disclaimer to not rely on this information and to do your own due diligence to verify the accuracy! If any of this informaiton is inaccurate please don't hold it against the settlement agent, as it is likely my interpretation and misunderstanding and I wouldn't like to unintentionally affect their reputation! :eek: Unlike me some/a lot of this information will no doubt be well known to many long term WA locals but it is by no means an exhaustive list!

Inspections to complete:
Termite Inspection:
Expect ~$150-$180.
Real estate agent will recommend an inspector or we can choose our own (preferred). Any pest activity identified has to be rectified by the seller at their cost.

Building Inspection Fee:
Be aware that the contract contains restrictive time periods in which these inspections (building and pest) must be completed and the report served (if required) on the vendor. If time periods are not met the buyer waives their rights under this clause.

Comments on Contract Clauses & Common Warnings/Problems in WA Purchases:

NOTE: The Real Estate Agent creates and/or inserts any additional clauses that the buyer desires to have in the contract. This includes pest & building clauses.

Pre-Offer review of contract:
The majority of WA purchaser’s alarmingly (from my perspective) do NOT have a settlement agent peruse the Offer and Acceptance Contract prior to signing! REA’s will try and state this is the ‘norm’ and whilst it is, it is not recommended. Buyers have an absolute right to request that the contract is forwarded to their settlement agent to peruse for suitability/completeness prior to signing and submitting their offer.

Finance Condition:
A reasonable finance clause is to allow 21 days (not business days) to reach unconditional finance approval. Ordinarily settlement occurs 21 days after the buyer advises they have unconditional finance approval. A buyer is obligated under contract to confirm approval at the time it is received. So for example, if unconditional approval is advised within 7 days, then the time to settlement would only be 28 days in total. A specific settlement date can be stipulated to give certainty as to how soon settlement will take place (rather then the date of obtaining unconditional finance triggering the end date).

Unauthorised additions/structures:
In WA about 8-9 out of every 10 property purchases involves unauthorized changes to the property. For example, pergolas, closed in carports, pools/spas, sheds, etc… All these require building approvals. Part of the enquiry fee includes requesting copies of any orders and requisitions (which includes building approvals) from the shire. If there is only one building approval than this would generally be for the original house.

There are two approaches to resolving unauthorized structure issues:

1. Monetary Claim – normally the seller gives a warranty (as distinct from a condition) that all extra’s/changes/additions are shire approved. If the seller breaches this warranty this can not hold up settlement for breach of contract. This breach results in a claim for compensation only. The seller usually agrees to apply for the relevant approvals and if they ultimately are not able to be issued or aren’t received than the seller must rip down the unauthorized structure.

2. Get out of the Contract – the buyer can insert a clause requiring the seller to demonstrate they have the necessary approvals within 10 days. If they don’t satisfy this condition then the buyer can cancel the contract and get their money back.

Buyer’s can choose to negotiate on either of these options – for example by trying to knock down the price.

Possible solution – ask the REA for the seller’s full disclosure regarding approvals upfront and then possibly use the existence of unauthorized additions to renegotiate the price.

Listing chattels accurately:
The buyer needs to make sure that ALL chattels have been accurately listed to avoid any issues pre/post settlement, when a seller may remove an item/chattel that the buyer had assumed would remain with the property. For example:

 Fixed floor coverings
 Light fittings
 Window treatments (coverings). i.e. blinds, curtains, etc..
 Dishwasher
 Alarm system
 Reticulation
 Garden Sheds

Working Order Clause:
The buyer needs to check that the contract includes a warranty that all electrical, gas & plumbing fixtures/fittings are in good working order on settlement.

Mandatory Clause:
There must be a clause requiring that the seller has working hard wired smoke alarms installed and also RCD switches. There are big fines for these items not being present.

Once the Offer & Acceptance contract is received from the REA – and BEFORE SIGNING – it is a good idea to send a scanned copy via email to the settlement agent to review generally.

I hope these insights prove useful to some other forum users buying in WA for the first time. Happy investing!

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the awesome info as I am also looking at purchasing for the first time in WA.

You mentioned that it is normal for the buyer to just sign the contract, did you manage to persuade the REA to agree to forward the Offer and Acceptance Contract to your settlement agent for review prior to you signing the document? Should I expect significant resistance to the request?

Thanks,

Joel

You mentioned that it is normal for the buyer to just sign the contract, did you manage to persuade the REA to agree to forward the Offer and Acceptance Contract to your settlement agent for review prior to you signing the document? Should I expect significant resistance to the request?

Hi Joel

Prior to making any offer I did manage to have handed directly to me blank copies of the contract documents that the REA I was dealing with uses as standard. I have provided some information below regarding these documents, but please keep in mind that this is my interpretation only and thus you should make all your own enquiries to be sure of the accuracy. The documents I received were as follows:

1. The REIWA "Contract for Sale of Land or Strata Title by Offer and Acceptance".

This is a single double sided page and is relatively straight forward. Just make sure it is the updated 2011 version and not the previous 2009 version. When submitting an offer this document would be completed initially by the buyer and REA to show the usual contract terms. eg. all parties details, property details, deposit, purchase price, settlement date, list of included property chattels, and finance clause (this is a standard clause and you just elect a lender, cutoff date and the loan amount if known). It also includes a standard Special Condition regarding termite inspections and the need for other relevant items to be in working order (gas, electrical, plumbing etc.). The back of the page has some contractual fine print or 'Conditions' that deal primarily with the effect of the Subject to Finance clause and any right to terminate the contract in relation to this aspect.

2. Annexures. These would no doubt vary depending on the agent you are dealing with, but I received one Annexure that covered the timeframes to be satisfied in obtaining and serving a Building Inspection report and the seller's/buyer's rights and obligations if there were any building issues in the report. I also received a second Annexure that dealt with things like extensions and additions, restrictive convenants/easements, and the state of the property on settlement.

3. "2011 General Conditions - Joint Form of General Conditions for the Sale of Land". This document is a 20 page booklet and is issued by The Law Society of WA and REIWA. A copy must be given to all buyers when submitting an offer (signing a contract). It essentially contains all the relevant clauses applicable at law when purchasing property in WA.

I also rang around to a number of settlement agents (SA's) and found someone who was willing to answer my questions on the contract and make some suggestions about how best to protect myself contractually. Of course you could always engage a solicitor for this purpose, but I was confident enough to have this discussion somewhat informally with the SA. Keep in mind that the vast majority of SA's will tell you that they don't generally get involved until they are sent the contract docs signed by both parties - obviously this is also when they know they will get a fee for their services! :)

In my opinion once you have reached the stage of being prepared to submit an offer (i.e. you are a serious buyer), then there is no reason why a REA shouldn't be willing to provide blank copies of their standard contract docs if asked. I had also noticed at the Open Home that the REA had a copy of the Certificate of Title in his little folder and I noticed that there was a restrictive convenant listed on the Title. This was significant as one of the Annexures contained a clause stating I had been made aware of any convenants noted on the title...essentially meaning I would have no recourse if this ended up being an issue. When I met the REA to complete the paperwork to submit my offer I first asked to see the Title. I was told that the convenant had expired and so I asked to see evidence of this also before submitting my offer. I made sure that they gave me photocopies of the relevant Title and associated pages confirming the expiry before I would sign the Annexure.

Hopefully the info above helps you (or others) when the time comes to buy. Good luck!

Thanks Angela. I sure found your documentation of your experience really useful and I'm sure others who are new to purchasing in WA will too.

Top Effort!

Back