Selling subdivision with restrictions ..

I was thinking of buying a block of land, subdividing into 2 blocks, selling one off and building my home on the other block.

I don't have enough $$ to build 2 houses so I'll prob have to sell 1 block as empty land.

However, a worry I have is that the purchaser will build a really crappy looking house (which would really drive down the value of my place and make me plain miserable).

Is there any way that I can place some restrictions on the type of house that gets built ? Or at the least the kind of facade ?

Can I sell the land with pre-approved building plans on the condition that the owner builds it ?

Thanks !

Is there any way that I can place some restrictions on the type of house that gets built ? Or at the least the kind of facade ?
Can I sell the land with pre-approved building plans on the condition that the owner builds it ?

Many developers put a covenant on the land they develop in new sub-divisions which specifies things like:
1. Time you must commence a build (so land does not sit vacant)
2. Roof materials
3. Minimum m2 floor area
4. No dual occ allowed
etc

So although I don't think you could force your own building plans on a purchaser, why not talk to your solicitor and see if you can lodge such a covenant on your newly created block?

I would just get approved plans through council for the other block as i think most people would just go with what was approved. or you could try sell a house on the other block off the plan soo as you have total control may be worth a think and talk to your broker you mite be able to do some kind of deal using this method.

... or you could try sell a house on the other block off the plan soo as you have total control may be worth a think and talk to your broker you mite be able to do some kind of deal using this method.

Hmm .. that's a very interesting idea which never occurred to me as an option.

Can even use the front PPOR as some kind of display example too as its being built ... thanks !

I am currently trying to get some duplexs approved soo as i can sell off the plan before building starts. Alot of builders are doing it that way nowdays.

The other option you could look at, and I'm trying to do now, is getting a relocatable house put on front site of the subdivision. You can often pick these up very cheaply, and make a good return by renting them out. You then of course can choose what you want the house to look like. I don't imagine you'd get a modern house, but maybe a nice old bungalow. Still a bit of work, but probably a whole lot cheaper than having a new house built.

Back