Renting of Granny Flats in Redland Council

Hi All,

Can someone please confirm if Redland Council permits separate leasing of a granny flat? I know you can't under Brisbane Council but can't find any threads here talking specifically about Redland Council.

I've noticed a few houses for sale within Redland Council that have granny flats operating with current leases so it's caught my interest.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave

In Redland it definitely was the case that the granny flat had to be used by the same household as the primary dwelling i.e. can't have two leases on one lot. 90% confident this is still the case, however also pretty sure it isn't being enforced - not saying that it won't be however.

A quick call to council will confirm for you though.

Cheers

Currently the case that you can't. A new planning scheme is coming, not sure when and whether that changes it or not I don't yet know.

Logan has gone very GF friendly in their new scheme, Ipswich less so but still ok. BCC is still fighting a large case (I am acting for the GF owners).

Although widespread in a lot of errors, if a neighbour doesn't like it and complains, or the local councilor or enforcement officer decides they don't like it you will get hit with a show cause notice and then an enforcement notice. you either have to shut it down or get fined. Also once an enforcement notice is in place your residential lease is worthless, tenant can leave at anytime with no recourse.

Thanks RPI. Always a wealth of information in this area.

Not to hijack the thread but what timing do you foresee on a decision in regards to your case with BCC?

Also I can't remember if I read or was told that some GF owners have already successfully appealed against BCC - is there any truth to this? Obviously there is always special circumstances in some scenarios.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

cheers

Did some rudimentary research for the Redlands area.
I have stayed in Cleveland and drove around Birkdale, Wellington Point and Alexandra Hills.

Redland City Council

Secondary dwellings have a max GFA of 50m2
Secondary dwellings are located within 20m of the main dwelling
Secondary dwellings must be occupied by one household group

Read through the Planning and Development section of the Council website.
The City Plan 2015 will be asking residents in 2015 to give feedback about the new planning scheme.

Interesting thing is that "Redlands Council is one of the few South East Queensland local authorities meeting its housing targets under the existing state government regional plan".

Back