Radio Rentals

Radio Rentals made $90 million from Centrelink payments last year

Centrelink payments made up almost half of white goods leasing market leader Radio Rentals' revenue last year, the ABC can reveal.

Last financial year the company's total revenue was $197 million, and $90 million of that came from the federal Department of Human Services through the direct debit Centrepay system.

The Centrepay system was originally designed to help Centrelink customers budget, with money for bills directly debited from bank accounts as soon as benefits are paid.

However, in recent years payments for more discretionary spending ? such as leasing flat screen televisions and sounds systems ? have increased.

A report released this month by finance company Credit Suisse found that half of the Centrepay revenue received by Radio Rentals, or about $45 million, was for entertainment items like televisions or smart phones.

When not working it was all about rent, food and transport for me :confused:

When not working it was all about rent, food and transport for me :confused:

Yes, I agree with you. However on the facebook page there was a lot of rant about radio rentals being vultures and feasting on the vulnerable. It made me close the page. :mad:

Interesting that they can take centrepay deductions. Our agency is also set up to take direct payments but I thought we could set that up because we are a real estate agency and shelter is a basic.

I have no interest in judging what others do in their lives but what other business are able to set up direct deductions from centrelink payments?

Btw there is a cost associated with the direct debit system that in real estate at least - tenancy legislation- cannot be charged to the tenant. Landlord or agency wears that cost!

You can use Centrepay to pay almost anything, providing the company is large enough.

There was this big hoohar about the possibility for centrelink money to be on a bank style card, which could only be used for necessary items such as rent and food.

I don't get why it's such a big issue, I think it's a fantastic idea.

Regarding radio rentals, of course they're "vultures"... People don't read the fine print. These companies are specifically set up to target those that can afford items, but aren't any good at saving.

It's not a fantastic idea because it was clearly introduced to favour large businesses. For groceries, I believe you can only use the card at Coles or Woolies. You can't even go to Aldi, much less your local butcher or farmers market who would be potentially be much cheaper and better quality. Then there's all the issues around how "essential" is defined. People have different circumstances and such a policy would not take that into account. As an opt-in measure, sure, but there are other measures that can be taken to reach the people they claim this system would reach when the people it really hurts are those that are trying to do the right thing.

It's not a fantastic idea because it was clearly introduced to favour large businesses. For groceries, I believe you can only use the card at Coles or Woolies. You can't even go to Aldi, much less your local butcher or farmers market who would be potentially be much cheaper and better quality. Then there's all the issues around how "essential" is defined. People have different circumstances and such a policy would not take that into account. As an opt-in measure, sure, but there are other measures that can be taken to reach the people they claim this system would reach when the people it really hurts are those that are trying to do the right thing.

This has been one of the problems with the existing card, it does seem they intend to have this one like a normal bank debit card that can be used anywhere that accepts eftpos to remove any stigma.

The only difference is that certain products are not available for purchase using the card.

Most people on here would be very unlikely to understand the lifestyle of those who are the target of the card and the desperate situation some people, usually women and children, have to live in.

Epic post Redwing-thanks. I always thought RR was a bit of a dog of a business as Harvey and the Good Guys are more competitive- yet it seems the Centrelink scam may be their core business.
Bottomfeeders to be sure- but they are making good money out of it.

This whole thing can also be reversed, so many people with bad credit are refused by HN, Myers, GGs etc that the only way they can get the necessities of life is to pay a premium on the interest.

Would you prefer to lend money to Greece or Australia ? same thing really.

I agree they charge high interest, they need it because they get such a high default rate on their contracts.

Anyone looking for a time payment plan should check all other avenues first, HP, bank PLs, charitable low interest loans, Centrelink advances, RR is the lender of last resort and as such have a high percentage of bad payers with much higher default rates than main stream lenders.

As for using Centrelink to pay for it, if the service is available why not use it ? Makes life a lot easier for everyone and ensures that the Fridge and Washing machine don't get repossessed.

No difference to a LL having Centrelink make the rent repayments, none of it can happen unless the dole / pension recipient requests it

You've obviously never looked at their financials and management.

I was judging by the fact that whenever I walked past there was never anyone in there and when I went in to do a price comparison the customer service was underwhelming and the prices higher than GG and Hardly Normal.

TGA.AX has been a tremendous performer, SP in the 0.50-75 range in 08/09 trading today at 2.68 after a sell off from the beating they are taking re lending practices :) div. 4.3% FF.

I was judging by the fact that whenever I walked past there was never anyone in there and when I went in to do a price comparison the customer service was underwhelming and the prices higher than GG and Hardly Normal.

Only really need to go there once to give them 2 years worth of income

No nothing to do with the size of the company, you need to provide an 'essential service' eg accommodation, child care, utilities, rent of essential household items, etc.

I thought it had part to do with size as well. I'm a small company, but can use it as I provide accommodation.

A new TV isn't an essential service, paying off loans for a personal loan isn't either, but you can do both of those with Centrepay.

Learn a new thing every day though.

I thought it had part to do with size as well. I'm a small company, but can use it as I provide accommodation.

A new TV isn't an essential service, paying off loans for a personal loan isn't either, but you can do both of those with Centrepay.

Learn a new thing every day though.

Radio Rentals get around because they provide essential items like fridges, microwaves, etc.

Here's the full list:
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/bus...ink/centrepay-for-business-and-organisations/

Back