Queen concert after 30 years!

The last time Queen visited Australia I was barely a teenager. No chance my parents would have let me go to the concert, let alone to Sydney.

Tickets went on sale this morning. If there was ever a band I've wanted to see live, this is it. I completely splurged and got some of the best seats available. :D

The last time Queen visited Australia I was barely a teenager. No chance my parents would have let me go to the concert, let alone to Sydney.

Tickets went on sale this morning. If there was ever a band I've wanted to see live, this is it. I completely splurged and got some of the best seats available. :D

Nah, without Freddie they're nothing to me. What a front man! Who's the singer?

Saw them in zurich a few years ago, still pretty good without Freddie, he features large in a few tribute songs on a screen.

Nah, without Freddie they're nothing to me. What a front man! Who's the singer?

It was a sad day indeed when Freddie died. Adam Lambert is the front man. Obviously there could never be a comparison but the world is an imperfect place. :(

Every time I run my community radio show, I make sure I slide a Queen track into the playlist.

I'll definitely have to check it out.

My dad use to work at EMI and he brought home dozens of CD's. Amongst them were The Beatles Greatest Hits and various Queen albums.

The lyrics to 'We Are the Champions'. Doesn't get more inspirational than that.

Before making it big, in the early to mid 70s, Queen played at a concert in country Victoria and were jeered off stage...the local crowd were calling the band fags and told to go home.

Queen without FM can't be the same.

Gotta love the clip "I want to break free" with FM in drag lol

As Queen fans would know, Brian May is actually a pretty smart cookie.

He did an Hons degree in science years ago and made a start on a PhD, but much to his parents dismay he abandoned his scientific career once Queen took off.

I did read somewhere that his father (who had helped him build his famous "Red Special" guitar as a teenager) was particularly upset by this decision of Brian's. But that, some years later, when Mr May (senior) was invited by Brian to watch Queen perform in front of a capacity Madison Square Garden crowd of adoring fans - his father finally "got it" (he understood why his son abandoned science in favour of music).

Fast forward many years and Brian May did complete a PhD in Astrophysics at Imperial College (an extremely well regarded institution).

Sometimes I see Brian popping up on UK science shows in which Prof Brian Cox also appears. I always get the feeling that Cox (ex D:Ream) feels slightly in awe of May.

It's easy to understand why.

And one thing I like and respect about Queen as a group, even though FM was their principal songwriter, they all wrote hit songs.

Their biggest hit, "Another One Bites the Dust", was a John Deacon song.

Easy to tell with the killer base line.

Though killer might be the wrong word, you can actually do CPR to the beat.

20th April 1976 - Melbourne Festival hall ............ Sigh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Night_at_the_Opera_Tour

I was sitting near the back in the same row as the mixing desk and had the pleasure of having Molly Meldrum tred on my foot as he made his way to the mixing desk to chat with the engineer ....... ( he did say sorry )

1976 was a good year for concerts . Also saw Neil Diamond with his Hot August night tour at the Sidney Myer music bowl ......Sigh ........ sigh

Thought about going to Queen this time . I'm a fan of Adam Lambert and I think he will do a great job , but we've just bought tickets to see the Eagles and I haven't seen them before.

Cliff

Back