Provide internet for student accommodation?

I want to provide internet access for a house being used for international student accommodation, but do not want to provide access to a land line telephone. These students pay individually, usually stay for 3 or 4 months, and I pay all the bills (e.g. electricity etc) and provide pretty much everything for them.

I'm getting very confused with different offers and plans etc etc and the cost seems to be adding up and up. I've had cabling installed, and there is a phone line to the house. It seems I have to pay a line rental bill anyway, as well as the bill for the internet usage, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best company to go with, that's not going to cost a fortune?

Is there any way that I can make it so that only those who pay a little extra can have access to the net (password or something?) or do I just need to up everyone's rent to cover the expense and make it open slather?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit "technologically challenged" and get annoyed when these computer types blather on with stuff I cannot understand, and seem to think cost is no object!

Hi Glucose

I think Exetel offers an excelent value package with VERY generous download limits and $25/m tel. line rental
I would go for the RS2 or RS3 plan
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_phone.php
The only problem with exetel is they charge you per Mb should you go over their very generous limits.
If it's only for a few students I would leave it open
I would get them to sign a "responsible use policy" form which should get you off the hook
should they misbehave (which is probably going to happen).
Password would be good as you would then be able to do filtering too
but then you will need to run internet sharing through a server.

Finally, VOIP phones could be another good option with cheap local STD and ISD calls.
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/residential-voip-solutions/residential-voip-plan-choices/

This company also offer VOIP adaptors for $30 with $30 call credit
so the adaptor is essentially free of charge.
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/bonus-credit/device-only/

With VOIP have a separate phone number for each outlet if you want.

Cheers

I tried this in year one. But they all used the landline and collecting the money was too hard. Plus everytime there was a network problem they wanted me to fix it.

Now I just provide a wireless router and they do the rest between them - but mine stay for 12-36 months on average so it works for me.

I tried this in year one. But they all used the landline and collecting the money was too hard. Plus everytime there was a network problem they wanted me to fix it.

Unless you provide them with their own VOIP DID line for $5 line rental per month and calls are 10cents/call untimed.
You can buy a line for $30 a year and easily charge them double.
The adaptors above allow you to use any existing analogue telephones.
If you provide them with a network connection then you use the same outlet for the VOIP phone.
Cheers

Unless you provide them with their own VOIP DID line for $5 line rental per month and calls are 10cents/call untimed.
You can buy a line for $30 a year and easily charge them double.
The adaptors above allow you to use any existing analogue telephones.
If you provide them with a network connection then you use the same outlet for the VOIP phone.
Cheers

I like my way. A $150 router and the rest is their problem.

Back