Property Prices Doubles in every 10 years rule

am sure will keep going but who knows, a good holy war or bird flu could cause problems

the main thing is that there is inflation present - debt deflation is as important as cap growth

Double?

Hiya

My 90 year old neighbour bought her house for 4K 50 years ago....poor thing! she is a little bewildered when real estate agents keep on knocking on her door to offer a million dollars plus......

Guess her kids will not be so bewildered eh?:D

My neighbour tells me she paid $40,000 for land and $40,000 to build house 20 years ago. She can't get her head around today's prices around $600,000.

I can confirm that apartments in Port Macquarie did not double in value over the last ten years. They even went backwards a tad. Well, my one did, anyway.

Say the median is currently 500k, following the rule, we'd have:

2024: 1 million median
2034: 2 million median
2044: 4 million median
2054: 8 million median
2064: 16 million median
2074: 32 million median
2084: 64 million median
2094: 128 million median
3004: $316,912,650,057,057,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 median
3014: $633,825,300,114,115,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 median

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

So either we have some spectacular inflation ahead of us or, no, property does not double every 10 years.

Got to love exponentials!

Is that 'price' the actual sale price or the unimproved land value? If it is the sale price then we don't really know how much money got injected into the existing properties.
Sale price. Regardless, the price for the seller has doubled, and the 8 new ones have diluted the median.

Over the last few decades property has been driven higher by:

- Looser lending standards
- Increase in dual income households
- Lower & lower interest rates
- Private debt expanding faster than the economy
- Strong income growth from a mining boom

We've probably taken prices about as far as they can go:
30 years you'd have had the same argument, but with different reasons. Now you're looking backward & appear to be saying that these are the only reasons that will allow growth to continue.

Can you look forward & think of some reasons why long term growth could continue ? Cash buyers, switch from stocks to IP post GFC, BBs inheriting $MM property & trading it up, cash from O/S, desire for clean air, HNWI immigration, natural pop growth, increased disposable income due to technology improvements, there must be a few more ?

I was under the impression most of the published median prices were stratified to avoid the impact of compositional change... what medians are you watching that are affected in the way you describe?
It's only been possible to calculate stratified medians in the last few years. The headline median for a city is usually the simple median, not stratified. It will be interesting to see how the stratified medians differ from the simple median over the next 20 years.

Double every 10-15 years, yes is my guess (which is what we are doing, right?).

Just for the obligatory story, my parents house in Doubleview WA was $32k in 1983. Today, if it were still the original house on a full block, $800k.

Since subdivided, built a rear 4x2 two storey (avg spec) in 2000, front 3x2 single storey (high spec) in 2012.

Combined value today $1.5m, no mortgage owing and retirement looming.

Hi Guys,

Indeed we had a good run in property prices in the last 20 years.
With many examples of properties prices doubling, or even x3, 4 or more over a course of 10 years+ period

Now the big question, do you believe that similar property cycle is going to follow for the next 20 years?

The average house in Melb today is half a mil, based on this model, the average home in Melb going to be 1M in 2024?
Yes, Some Melbourne homes are already the 1M mark, but to average it out across the board

If this cycle is applicable for the future, and that history will keep on repeating itself (hypothetically in a perfect world)

Then based on this model, today, it would not really matter where you buy or what you buy, whether you follow CF or CG, just buy anything and at anywhere

What are you predictions? Share your thoughts
I think it would matter at this stage of the cycle where you buy and what you buy is very important ,,anything with high rise development longterm
in the inner 7-10 klmsCBD ring in Brisbane imho has not even started yet in price rises because most people don't care less that their property has been rezoned,or they reckon there is a simple law in statistics if you expect something to happen in the near future then you already have the same now,,law of iterated expectations..works very well on the ASX..

Cash buyers, switch from stocks to IP post GFC, BBs inheriting $MM property & trading it up, cash from O/S, desire for clean air, HNWI immigration, natural pop growth, increased disposable income due to technology improvements, there must be a few more ?
SMSF
Retirees (sp?) getting their hands on super

30 years you'd have had the same argument, but with different reasons. Now you're looking backward & appear to be saying that these are the only reasons that will allow growth to continue.

Can you look forward & think of some reasons why long term growth could continue ? Cash buyers, switch from stocks to IP post GFC, BBs inheriting $MM property & trading it up, cash from O/S, desire for clean air, HNWI immigration, natural pop growth, increased disposable income due to technology improvements, there must be a few more ?

It's only been possible to calculate stratified medians in the last few years. The headline median for a city is usually the simple median, not stratified. It will be interesting to see how the stratified medians differ from the simple median over the next 20 years.

I could not agree more. The things mentioned in the original post which drove up property prices were unforeseen so what is to stop this trend from continuing forever?
There is every chance in 30 years time someone will be on a forum (virtual forum probably where we will all be in a virtual room having this discussion) saying the exact same thing. Yeah prices only doubled though because of X change in technology and X change in the economy.

This is my non economist but based on logic view

It's always hard to imagine your property worth double in ten years, it's like omg, no way, more a psychological habit

That being said therr are going to be properties that 20% to 500% increase, but if the averageis ten years for example, then you can expect the average home to double, that's what average means

That being said again, if we follow that doubling table above, I too cannot imagine an averagevpropeety being worth 300m in 100 hundred years.

At some point there must be a stage where there might be no growth for ten years to slow the growth down

Also, there must be a point where due to inflation, $1000 is converted into $1' to avoid having to pay $10,000 to buy a loaf of bread like in Zimbabwe

I'm in two minds about the future, the world economy is pretty stuffed, Spain, Greece, Iceland, usa all seem pretty stuffed, even though some are recovering

All part of an economic cycle??? Maybe

Australia has come through quite unscathed, but I feel oz is not that stable, unemployment, mining downturn etc etc

A lot of property "experts" have said the years of doubling every yen years are now over due to various reasons, I kinda agree with them,

I think we are going to se probably more like doubling every 12-15 years type of cycles

When reading one of Jeremy Siegel's books about investments (mainly US stock prices and it's growth prospects) he talks about what will drive future prices and one of the main drivers he believes is going to be as Baby Boomers in Western world retire and cash in their assets investors from the East/Asia will step in and buy these assets.

You can clearly see how keen the Chinese are to buy Australia's assets (farm land/mines/residential housing) currently. This is only going to intensify as Chinese and Indian middle class wealth continues to expand over the coming several decades. I don't think there will be any shortage of investors with cash to buy quality assets from Western economies.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Some properties double in 2 years, some don't move for 10 years.

IN 2 years, not every 2 years. No property in the world has uniform growth every year. Hence why 10 years is oft-quoted as an 'average', it could of course take more years than that.

Back