Possible Perth move - advice needed

My family and I are considering a move to Perth. I have been offered a 12 month contract and am very tempted to accept. I have always found Perth to be a very attractive city and we have always been thinking about moving there.

Having only spend a few days there on a couple of occasions, we are in desperate need of some help in lots of areas but in particular where to stay and what school to send my 7yo daughter to.

Workwise, I will be based in Leederville, so we would looking at renting a 4 bedroom in suburbs around there. Alternatively though, my wife has said she wouldn't mind being closer to the beach (well I would like to be closer to the beach, she would like some sea views).

School wise, my daughter currently goes to a good government school here in Canberra. I'm not sure what state schools in Perth are like but that would be our preference but I am happy to hear about private schools too.

As we don't know anyone in Perth, if we decide to move, it would be great to catch up with fellow forumites.

many thanks
Gazza

Gazza
Im actually living ( apartment not House ) and working in Leederville and love the area as I have all the amenities I need at my front door. Cafes / Supermarket / cinema / Lake Monger / train station down the road / Recreation centre / freeway access ......I could go on
Houses in the area are very nice ( lots of old character homes ) but not cheap by Perth median standards of around $280......given proximity to city and a just little over 10 minutes to the beach. ( do a search on realestate.com ) I imagine you would be renting so value for money you would probably do well given yields in Perth are still very low.
Dont have children so cant comment on schools although there are a few private and government schools in the area ( Mt Hawthorn Primary, Aranmore Catholic school )
Id imagine similar pace of life to Canberra although I dont think Id be being biased in saying climate is much better and beaches .....well ...I guess theres no comparison.
Hope this helps
Ross

Thanks Ross. I have been looking at realestate.com but it's hard just looking at suburbs based on where they are located (by looking at the map) without knowing what the suburbs are really like in terms of facilities, crime, etc. Hopefully some more Perth forumites will be able to offer some insghts.

Hi Gazza,

realestate is an ok site for Perth properties, but www.reiwa.com.au will have far more properties for you to consider. However, the section of Perth it seems you will be considering is the northern suburbs close to the coast (always depending on budget of course) and my experience has shown that alot of the bigger / better agencies in these suburbs do not use REIWA or realestate, instead they typically advertise via the local weekend newspapers (Saturdays West Australian and Sunday Times). See if you can get a copy of these papers in Canberra and you'll find the web addresses for the individual office websites.

Let us know your budget and I might be able to assist better.

Perth's a great place to live, considered a little on the quite/boring side for some but it's a brilliant place to raise a family and we seem to produce better football teams than most states - haha.

Goodluck

paulie

Perth short term rentals, schools,etc

Thanks Paulie.

After much discussion and I might add stress, we have decided to accept the job offer in Perth. Our thoughts are initially to rent a furnished townhouse or apartment for 4-8 weeks. this will give us time to check out suburbs, etc.

What we need are places that can be rented furnished on short term leases. The work is located in Leederville so that area would be perfect but we would be looking to rent in Floreat, Wembley Downs or City Beach down the track.

Advice on good state primary schools in the above areas would also be much appreciated.

I really need help from Perth forumites as we need to be there in a month's time.

cheers
Gazza

Thanks for the best wishes , Acey.

Yep I think we are getting old, the cold really got to us last year and this morning at -5, helped convince me when I was debating whether or not to accept the offer. It's a good opportunity (an 18 month contract in the IT game is very rare), we're going to go over check it out for 6 weeks or so. If I like the job and we like the city, we will look at going to the next level ie moving possessions and dog , etc over. If things don't work out, we'll come back having been over to WA (hopefully done a bit of sightseeing), experienced living in a beautiful city and missed the worst of winter in Canberra.

cheers
Gazza

Hi Gazza,

Welcome to the best city in Australia :)

If it's not considered too rude to ask, what kinda price range are you looking in? Being great distance to city and beach, most of the suburbs around there are a bit on the pricey side, by Perth standards.

Wembley / Wembley Downs might be a good option for you. It's a little further west along cambridge street, away from the city. Not sure of the ages of your kid(s) but nearby Churchlands High is probably one of the best regarded public schools in Perth. Glendalough train station isnt too far away, nor are Leederville / West Leederville train stations. It's probably a bit more family oriented than living in Leederville / W. L. would be, as they are more the yuppie atmosphere / cafe strip kinda places. Depends what you're into I guess.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave

Thanks for the info. Rent wise we would pay up to 500pw for a place (that we will move into). I have seen places in City Beach,Wembley Downs, Floreat for those sort of prices. Initially though we would be after a furnished place, close to work, so don't mind the idea of being in the yuppie area. While there we will look around for schools and that might drive the suburb we chose. We definitely like the idea of being close to the beach and the city (having being in Canberra for 13 years, the beach has been 2 hours away). My daughter is 7yo, so we are looking at primary schools.

cheers
Gazza

Back