Picture of a kitchen reno...

Looking for a picture…

The good lady and myself are planning a reno on our IP. The place in question has an old wood stove/cooker built into a fireplace in the kitchen. Great old feature piece but completely unusable. I am considering removing the old wood stove and putting in a new stainless steel free standing cooker into the fireplace area.

I remember seeing pictures of a renovation project do exactly on this forum and it looked great. However I cant seem to find the thread or picture any more.

Does anyone know the thread I am talking about and can you point me to it? Or do you have some pictures of your own that you could post here?

I am trying to convince the good lady that doing this is a better option than simply blanking off the fireplace and putting in a new kitchen over it – we would lose at least 60cm (depth of kitchen bench) from one wall doing this. Also we’d lose the ‘feature’ of the fireplace from the kitchen. Although the good lady’s option would be easier I don’t think the outcome would be as good.

Any help, and especially pictures, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

TB

You may be talking about my kitchen reno?

I will attach some pics. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Do you have any pics of what you describe?

Cheers
McBrain

Some better pics

Picture%20019.jpg

Picture%20025.jpg

This is what I dont want. Very similar kitchen. Nice enough cupboards etc, but a waste of space (i.e. stove could be positioned in cavity instead of losing 60cm in kitchen floor at one end).

55727_MP3.jpg

What about converting the two spaces into a well for the massive restaurant style fridge, and a walk-in pantry? Or maybe just a normal fridge.

You should be able to pull out the walls around the space right up to the ceiling, unless they're load-bearing, but I'd doubt it, and have some cupboards above the fridge and a ceiling to floor pantry.

Hi LAA,
Great minds think alike...

Yeah, we are now thinking of knocking out enough of the fireplace to put in some wall cupboards into the space, and install cupboards and cooker into the space on the floor.

Will post pics when we are done...

I think that whatever you do, if you can keep that "period feature" it can be an advantage.

Any new kitchen in any house can look the same, but something like the kitchen chimney is quite unique.

Initially I was going to remove the shelf above the fireplace as I thought it would clash with the wall cupboards, or at least look wierd. But I left it there and I'm glad I did.

That picture of the one you 'don't want' is awful, what a waste of space! You need to use that space; if not for a cooker, then at least for a feature wine rack or something.

Hope it goes well.

Cheers

I think that whatever you do, if you can keep that "period feature" it can be an advantage.
I agree and have had to dig my heels in with the missus and the builder to do this, but I will be proved right in the end ;)

That picture of the one you 'don't want' is awful
Isnt it?

That is from the house next door. It was for sale a bit before the on I have and I downloaded the pics from re.com for reference/comparison. But waht a waste of space, we gain about 45-50cm more space by recessing into the chimney than enclosing it.

Working happening over Christmas / New Year. Should have some pics in 1st week of Jan.

TB

PS - anyone in Perth want to buy an old wood stove or a working gas cooker (see pictures above)?

Last edited:
Back