Perth - 3 unit/villa development

Hi aaron,

In your view, anything with land component? Or must land be at least of certain size. Am thinking of townhouses on 150 sqm going forward.

Thanks.

depends where that 150sqm is - assuming R60/R80 at those sizes so would most likely be appropriate for the area.

need good product on these size sites though - very different animal to your standard R40 townhouse. can't treat them the same.

Laundry

Hi All
Met with the cabinet maker yesterday and we discussed the laundry areas, he was of the opinion that I should allow for front loader washing machine rather than the norm as this would give me additional bench space.

As I am planning to sell, I am not sure whether this is the way to go. The laundry areas are not that large so trying to maximise wherever possible and make it more workable.

Opinions anyone??

I renovated my laundry about 6 months ago.

I put a 2.4 meter bench across one side of the wall.

Left to right - Sink, Front Loader, Dryer, Cupboard.

It makes it look really nice and minimal.

Yes, Perth.
Spearwood is the area, Croatian, Italians - I would be targeting people down sizing but also young couples/FHB.

Still not sure whether this would limit my market??

It does open up the space. Having a long bench covering up the whole wall looks shmick. Also who doesn't like front end loaders? The elderly and people with disabilities prefers it.

Hi MTR,

we visited your devlopment in Spearwood yesterday, no.8 and 15. Jumped from one unit to the other trying to avoid the rain :D

The units look real swish, awesome attention to detail. The internal features such as the coffered ceilings and beautiful tiling makes a real nice impact. These unit are defo more upmarket than your typical unit in that area. I don't think you'll have any grief selling or renting them.

The tilers were at no.8 finishing the en-suite. I spoke to them briefly about the builder, nothing but positives. The concrete'r was also there, he recons you'll be finished in about 6 weeks:)

Dave

Sorry Blacky, no photos. We we there as we're thinking of going with the same builder. Never thought of taking any photos, especially as they're not our units.

Thanks Dave, appreciate that.

The tiler is brilliant , I am going to poach him for my own home project.

The level to details with both projects are very good, I must say all up pleased with the builder. Of course all building projects are taking a little longer at the moment due to skill shortage, I am also told project builders are taking longer, have no idea whether this is true.

More photos very soon:)

The progress has been slow with hold ups by various trades, however am very happy with the quality of the build, I think its a very good product. Would I change anything?? yes, use a different draftsperson.

Slab was poured on 21 May 2014, was told it will take 5 months for completion from this date.

We are now approaching Xmas, I think the trades have their break mid Dec, I have no hope in hell of achieving lock up prior to this break, realistically it will be completed mid-end January, build time 8 months, over run of 3 months.
Have been told this is common at the moment.

That's around $15,000 additional holding costs.

For those looking at developing something like this would not make any sense in current market, tack on an additional $150K for land. Building costs have also increased. I paid $579,000 for build +52,000 headworks, etc. approx. average size of my villas 150 sqm, and I have high spec villas.

Apparently my builders costings for bog basic 3x2 villas on 728 sqm block for example in Balga, possibly 140 sqm villas will be $585,000 no fruit ie (high ceilings, stone bench tops, overhead cupboards kitchen/laundry, quality tiling, full length tiling, mirrored robes, skirting, jazz cornices etc etc), lots of stuff not included such as fencing, and tack on head works

Rents have dropped off, but from recent research am still expecting $500 pw due to location and new product, still not sure how many I will sell/hold, meeting my accountant end Dec.
I will take some photos closer to lock up.

MTR:)

The progress has been slow with hold ups by various trades, however am very happy with the quality of the build, I think its a very good product. Would I change anything?? yes, use a different draftsperson.

Slab was poured on 21 May 2014, was told it will take 5 months for completion from this date.

We are now approaching Xmas, I think the trades have their break mid Dec, I have no hope in hell of achieving lock up prior to this break, realistically it will be completed mid-end January, build time 8 months, over run of 3 months.
Have been told this is common at the moment.

That's around $15,000 additional holding costs

MTR:)

Lockup? Surely you are are past lock up and mean Practical Completion?

Trades will continue to a few days before Christmas then knock off for 3 weeks with a few tradies choosing to work through.

5 months for a triplex build was very 'ideal world' with no weather, supplies or trade delays. 9 months is a better figure to use for conservative budgeting. Then anything less is a bonus ;)

I can't wait to see them.

Lockup? Surely you are are past lock up and mean Practical Completion?

Trades will continue to a few days before Christmas then knock off for 3 weeks with a few tradies choosing to work through.

5 months for a triplex build was very 'ideal world' with no weather, supplies or trade delays. 9 months is a better figure to use for conservative budgeting. Then anything less is a bonus ;)

I can't wait to see them.

Yeah I think 9 months for a triplex is not too bad at all. :)

MTR,

Not sure what;s an unofficial holidays period in WA but HIA does mention about 8 weeks in total over xmas.

However, similar development like yours in sydney would have easily gone over 12 months!

Thanks for the update. I was particularly interested in this:
For those looking at developing something like this would not make any sense in current market, tack on an additional $150K for land. Building costs have also increased. I paid $579,000 for build +52,000 headworks, etc. approx. average size of my villas 150 sqm, and I have high spec villas.
I am looking at building two townhouses behind an existing house in Cloverdale. I was thinking maybe around 150sqm not including garage and undercover alfresco. My budget is $250,000 per townhouse + $50,000 for headworks and subdivision costs etc. I'm hoping that will work out but I have not even started talking to builders yet, so ... :)

I'd also love to have a look at these sometime.

Re Cloverdale I don't think 250k turnkey is reasonable for a 3x2x2 2 storey townhouse

Back