Office lease Problems

We are about to move into new office premises, and the lease was signed with the undertaking that the owners would put a door on the toilet :eek: and also finish off the verandah floor outside (currently waiting for a concrete floor and tiling). Also, we signed off that our power would be separately metered for our use (currently it is shared with other tenants in a separate but attached office, who operate 24/7)

Well, of course, we move in on Tuesday and nothing has been done. I spoke with the owners two weeks ago (while waiting for Telstra to install the phone lines) and they were commenting about price etc etc.

It is an old house, which has been modernised (hence no toilet door as yet) and these things have just been left.

Where do we stand? We still want to move in (well, we have to know having spent over $2000 on phone installations, and given our old landlord the departure date) but what other leverage do we have to get things done?

All of these things have been written in the contract btw. Even when the conveyancer didnt want it, I still put them in there.

Oh yeah, and then we find out that the other tenants have their telephone system in our office area; and they can access our rooms from their side through a common door. We will have a small fridge against it so that should block their access. We will have a separate alarm system though, so any move on their part will trigger it. I presume we do not have to give them our alarm code? Cant imagine the Insurance company would allow that.

I don't know how you stand legally, but surely a toilet door would fall under the "necessary" category and you could give them say two days to have one installed or you will get it done and send them the bill. That is just awful.

Maybe give them a time frame for the verandah to be made presentable.

I would hope you don't have to allow access any old time to the neighbouring business to access their phone system. I would be doing a bit of jumping up and down.

Do you have a solicitor who could look over the details and advise you and help to have those issues that were promised fixed to a satisfactory standard?

it is always difficult isnt it Wylie. You dont want to make waves as new tenants, but then that can mean you get manipulated in the process. We wont be allowing access to their phone system, but as they are an answering service, we just hope this works out and we dont get contacted in the middle of the night if they trigger the alarm.

I think we will give them a month to get everything done; trouble is, what can we threaten them with if they dont? We dont want to have to relocate again, so are there any other options? I gather we cant refuse to pay rent, or can we in this case? And then there will be the building noise when they do the building work anyway!

In NSW you would be able to apply to the Consumer.Trader & Tenancy Tribunal for a hearing. You would be able to seek a "Specific Performance Order".

I would check if you have a similar avenue in SA.

Edit: googled it for you

Back