Need your advice.........buying property with periodic lease tenants

Hi,
I need your advice in regards to the property we are buying in Thornlie 6108. It is a 4X2 on a 550m2. Offer has been accepted. As per building report the property is not well maintenanted by tenants. Moisture reading was high and there is mould in bathrooms as tenants do not open windows. They pay $400 per week and they are on periodical lease. Property needs professional cleaning, may be painting of bathroom walls, ceilings.
We have got 2 options, ask for vacant possession and arrange cleaning/painting (loose $400 per week for at least 4 weeks, plus pay letting fees and advertisement etc) or arrange professional cleaning with the consent of tenants and ask tenant sign 6 or 12 months lease and maintain the property.
Settlement is on 22nd of Jan 2011. We are going overseas on 10th Dec 2010 and returning back on 21st Jan 2011. So we are not able to spare a week or two to do all required works.We are confused and can not make decision so we need your advice.
What you would do in this situation? Would you ask owner for vacant possession or with tenant? If tenant is happy to sign agreement, we can let them stay and we pay for house cleaning including carpet cleaning.
Thanks..............

Presumably the present tenants let the property get into its current state. What makes you think that if you clean it all up with them in there, that they will
maintain the property
?:confused:

How much would the market rent be after the clean up? What is the property being purchased for in $'s?

Hi,
Currently, it is rented for $400 per week, I do not think it will go up after clean up. I checked on realestate web site and average rent is around $400 per week for a 4X2 house.
We are buying for $348K.
Thanks.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to clean the place up for $0 more in rent.

Why not leave the existing tenants in place and when they move on, then do a repaint & clean up? Meanwhile just collect $400pw.

Back