Need advise on timber flooring

Hi all,

After recent inspection of my investment property, I was appalled at the condition of the carpet that my tenants left it in. There are heavy oil and red wine stains as well as other unknown staining that resulted after 1 year of lease.

Rather than spending money to clean the carpet, I'm considering to move to a more sustainable solution (timber or vinyl flooring) I'm seeking advise on material that is sustainable, durable and require minimum maintenance is ideal as the property is for students.

I would also like some advise on reasonable cost to placing timber flooring for approximately 50sqm. Recommendation of companies or suppliers would be great.

Thanks,

Yes there is existing carpet which will require removing.
Also being a fully furnished apartment, it'd be hard work trying to move everything out and back in again. I want to ensure the floor I put in will be durable so that I won't have to redo this process again for many years to come.

It is on concrete I'm assuming, the apartment is approx 10 years old, built for students, so I don't think they'd have put timber flooring underneath the carpet.

Why don't you consider a hard wearing industrial carpet in a col,our that hides stains?

It might be the cheapest option and better than timber which is also damaged easily and quite expensive. Plus timber floors in an apartment can be quite noisy and cold.

Tenant selection and regular inspections will help keep it clean.

Commercial grade timber look vinyl would probably suit you.

It won't be anywhere near as noisy as laminate and it won't swell if it gets wet, and being commercial would last forever. It comes in strips that you glue down, although someone said there's a click-lok variant these days too.

That's great idea Rumpled Elf, I will look into this!
Lizzie, tenants are not out of the property yet, they will be leaving late December/Early Jan 11. I haven't suggested taking their bond at this stage because they are still there, will need to discuss this prior to them leaving.
Not only the carpet is in a disgusting condition, kitchen looked like it has not been cleaned for a year, bathroom and toilet looks absolutely shocking. Hopefully with professional cleaning, it will restore back to original condition.

That's great idea Rumpled Elf, I will look into this!
Lizzie, tenants are not out of the property yet, they will be leaving late December/Early Jan 11. I haven't suggested taking their bond at this stage because they are still there, will need to discuss this prior to them leaving.
Not only the carpet is in a disgusting condition, kitchen looked like it has not been cleaned for a year, bathroom and toilet looks absolutely shocking. Hopefully with professional cleaning, it will restore back to original condition.

You might get lucky and find they do a thorough steam clean of the carpet and remove stains, and leave the place clean and tidy...so personally I wouldn't be paying a deposit for any installation or materials until they have left.

Look into bamboo flooring as well... For 50msq the appeal of the scratch resistance might make it worth the cost.
Although personally I would be putting in tiles. There are some mighty fine rugs out there now-a-days! ;)

Hi all,

After recent inspection of my investment property, I was appalled at the condition of the carpet that my tenants left it in. There are heavy oil and red wine stains as well as other unknown staining that resulted after 1 year of lease.

Rather than spending money to clean the carpet, I'm considering to move to a more sustainable solution (timber or vinyl flooring) I'm seeking advise on material that is sustainable, durable and require minimum maintenance is ideal as the property is for students.

I would also like some advise on reasonable cost to placing timber flooring for approximately 50sqm. Recommendation of companies or suppliers would be great.

Thanks,

I'd be putting down tiles throughout.

Tiles would be a the better idea, I obtained a few quotes for vinyl and tile.
commercial vinyl at approx $50 per sqm including installation and tile at $40 sqm, however would cost an additional $40 per sqm to install.

I'm considering leaving the bedroom carpet and change the bathroom and kitchen and living area into tile.

Sorry to chime in so late:) I actually work in flooring:)
The product i'd recommend is a vinyl plank. Instead of the glue down variety there is product called Allure which is exclusive to Harvey Norman. It is a vinyl plank with a grip strip on the side of the plank. The planks overlap eachother on the grip strip. This means that they dont have to be glued down so in most cases floor prep isnt required. They are $49.00 a sqm and are a DIY project. All that is needed to cut the planks is a stanley knife.
I have put them in commercial properties, shop fit-outs and shopping centres. Lifetime structural warranty, slip resistant, scratch resistant and waterproof.
Do it once, do it properly :)
Elf

That Allure looks pretty good! Should've used that instead of my crappy a$$ cheap floating laminates that I recently installed for PPOR :p

Will keep this in mind for IPs.

Regards,
ASH

Back