Naked DSL

OK - I know there have been a few threads in the past however want to re-surface ths one ...

I am currently looking to eliminate my fixed phone line. The Mrs and I only make local calls and some calls to mobiles.

I am looking at Naked DSL options as we enjoy the fast ADSL2+ speeds delivered via phone cables.

My understanding is that you can't have ADSL2+ without either paying for a fixed phone line rental or having Naked DSL.

I am based in Sydney.

For those who have taken the plunge ... anyone able to provide input/ feedback on their lessons learnt here ?

Thanks !

First up - I would suggest using an ISP who offer integrated VoIP services which are optimised for their network - can avoid many problems with quality. Most VoIP services work well when things are fine - but when things go bad, only the good providers still provide good service.

Personally I use and recommend Internode - their NakedExtreme ADSL2+ service with NodePhone VoIP. Not the cheapest, but I think they are the best in regards to quality, reliability and value for money. VoIP calls are a flat 18c (untimed) to landlines nationwide and the call quality is excellent.

Because going naked involves disconnecting your existing phone service, my suggestion if you already have an ADSL service and if you have a spare copper pair coming in to your premesis already ... is to get the NakedDSL set up on the unused pair and make sure it is fully functional before you disconnect your existing phone service. This will minimise disruption and there will be no pressure if things aren't working exactly how you like first up ... you'll have plenty of time to diagnose and troubleshoot before losing your existing phone and internet. Of course, that only applies if you have the spare pair available.

Im with IINET, have naked dsl 2+, I pay no line rental etc. Only cost is the intial bill $79.95 100gb with free local/interstate calls to other landlines/voip. Mobile and overseas are extra but still cheap.

I get pretty fast downloading speeds ie never wait for things to upload/download (except movies etc).

With the voip it is not the same quality as a normal landline phone. When downloading, my calls do not come through sometimes. Which I'm not to worried about, just as long as I can call people when I want. The volume of calls is low level. But good in the fact I can call relo's interstate and local for free for as long as I want.

Daniel

Note that you cannot be connected to a sub exchange and have Naked DSL. This is especially true in a lot of newish suburbs (< 10 years old), as the telcos aren't going to build brand new exchanges to host all the new houses - they're going to build sub exchanges instead. Much cheaper. But they can't do Naked.

Also, in case anyone is thinking of it, do NOT run VOIP over Wireless Broadband. The call quality is terrible (and variable).

The only problem is if you have a back-to-base alarm system since it requires the line to dial the alert to your security company.

Hiya Sim, just checked out Internode as I am an existing ADSL2+ customer.

The fees listed on their web site are :

$129 on a monthly contract; or
$79 on a 24 month contract.

At these rates why would one bother not keeping their phone line !

Was answering your question 'Why would one bother not keeping their phone line?'

Security systems that require it are the only valid answer to that, as far as I know. In my opinion, landlines are massive unecessary expense.

Hiya Sim, just checked out Internode as I am an existing ADSL2+ customer.

The fees listed on their web site are :

$129 on a monthly contract; or
$79 on a 24 month contract.

At these rates why would one bother not keeping their phone line !

Those are just the once-off setup fees. NakedDSL generally requires a physical change to the phone line at the exchange - so these fees cover that cost. You'll find most similar ISPs charging about the same amount ... typically these relate to costs imposed by Telstra because they actually have to do the work at the exchange.

You're probably paying something close to $30pm or more for your phone line now. Paying $129 to change to NakedDSL, you'll recoup that cost within 5 months (slightly longer in reality given that the monthly charge for NakedDSL is slightly higher than regular DSL due to the copper line rental cost that Telstra charge ... around $10 per month I believe).

Exactly which plan are you currently on?

I have the Quarterly HOME-Extreme-Value package.

1500-24000 kbits/sec. $179.85 Quarterly

Okay, given that you already have ADSL2+ using an Internode DSLAM (Extreme service), the good news is that it is very likely you would be able to get a Naked-Extreme service. The bad news is that there is no direct path for converting your service into a Naked-Extreme service.

You would have to either order a new service on a spare copper pair and waiting for it to become operational before cancelling the existing service (as I previously mentioned), or cancel your existing Extreme service first and then apply to convert your phone line to a Naked line. If possible, Internode recommend you try the first option (2nd phone line) since there are some potential traps if you just go and cancel your Extreme service first.

You are in exactly the same situation I was in - I already had an Extreme service and wanted to convert to NakedExtreme ... fortunately there was a spare copper pair already in place, so I got them to set up NakedExtreme on the new line and waited until that was fully operational to my satisfaction before I cancelled my existing Extreme connection on the other line. Then a couple of weeks later once I was satisfied as to the reliability of the Naked connection and NodePhone, I then cancelled my original Telstra phone line completely ... leaving me with just the Naked service on the 2nd copper pair.

A little bit messy, but I was only offline for as long as it took me to unplug my router from one phone line and plug it into the other!

As far as costs go, you currently pay $59.95 per month for your ADSL (is this a 60GB plan?), let's assume you pay $27.95 per month for your phone line (ignoring phone call costs). That's a total of $87.90 per month, or $1054.80 per year.

Your costs to go Naked would be $129 to set up the NakedExtreme service (or $79 if you sign up for a 24 month contract), and then you could choose the Home-NakedExtreme-60 service and pay $69.95 per month for 60GB.

You could then add a NodePhone2-Starter service to be able to make/receive phone calls over your Naked DSL service. $5 per month includes $10 worth of phone calls. If you make lots of calls, you could move to the $10pm plan and get $20 worth of calls included. At 18c per call (untimed) to any landline nationwide, you can make a lot of calls for $10.

This makes the total of $129 setup + $74.95 per month = $1028.40 in the first year and then $899.40 per year in subsequent years. This doesn't take into account savings in call costs either - which can be substantial above and beyond what you're saving just in line rental.

Alternatively, you could have a look at Internode's Easy Naked service - there's only one plan: $59.95 per month for 70GB. The difference here is that this service also counts uploads as well as downloads.

Note also that none of this takes hardware into account. You obviously already have a router suitable for ADSL2+ speeds, but you also need something capable of supporting VoIP services too. Most modern routers have this built in, but you would need to check this first.

Personally, I bypass my router's VoIP capabilities completely and just use a Siemens C470IP Gigaset + additional Siemens C47H Gigaset handsets for my VoIP - this gives me DECT wireless handsets which support multiple VoIP services (I have 2 NodePhone accounts, one personal and one business), and it just works (good WAF).

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

I went MyNetFone for both their naked DSL and their VOIP and then disconnected my Telstra PSTN line completely. Its saving me a fortune.

My total cost of phone and internet is now around $60 per month all in. That's about $49 for my Whirlpool Saver Naked DSL and about $10 a month in VOIP usage at 10c a call nationally again on a Whirlpool Saver type contract.

I think they're a great mob and the service has been fantastic.

$60 a month for ADSL2+ and home phone? Love it! My old copper Telstra phone service was costing me about $70 a month in usage. So its like I'm getting free ADSL2+ internet and a $10 a month discount. Awesome!!

Cheers,
Michael

Good to hear you have good experiences with MyNetFone, MichaelW. My father is thinking of switching to them (he already has the Whirlpool VOIP plan, but I was surprised to hear they now offer Naked DSL - never thought of them as a broadband provider before!)

Meanwhile, we are with IInet for Naked DSL + VOIP, the plans are quite reasonable.
http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html

My total cost for phone and internet hovers around the $60-$65 mark too. For that we get 20GB onpeak, 20GB offpeak, and 10 cent calls Australia-wide (and free calls to other IInet VOIP numbers).

I have a question.
If I have a few optusnet.com.au email accounts - is there some way to keep those email addresses and swap with another provider such as mynetphone for example?

I joined vivid wireless today. Paying 75/month for unlimited downloads broadband, and 22/month for unlimited phonecalls. By time all the interstate calls are taken into consideration, this is $40/month cheaper than being with Telstra.

So far it seems quick, hasn't had any drop outs and was ridiculously easy to set up.

I joined vivid wireless today. Paying 75/month for unlimited downloads broadband, and 22/month for unlimited phonecalls. By time all the interstate calls are taken into consideration, this is $40/month cheaper than being with Telstra.

So far it seems quick, hasn't had any drop outs and was ridiculously easy to set up.

I'd say most if not all other providers are cheaper than telstra for comparable products.

I'm with IInet naked $79 month adsl2+ 120gb and free interstate and local calls.

Its great to look at your phone bill with lots of hour+ calls all over the country and see the charge of $0 next to all of them :D

Hi Guys,

I went MyNetFone for both their naked DSL and their VOIP and then disconnected my Telstra PSTN line completely. Its saving me a fortune.

My total cost of phone and internet is now around $60 per month all in. That's about $49 for my Whirlpool Saver Naked DSL and about $10 a month in VOIP usage at 10c a call nationally again on a Whirlpool Saver type contract.

I think they're a great mob and the service has been fantastic.

$60 a month for ADSL2+ and home phone? Love it! My old copper Telstra phone service was costing me about $70 a month in usage. So its like I'm getting free ADSL2+ internet and a $10 a month discount. Awesome!!

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael, can I ask what equipment you are using (ie- Router and phone). I actually need a cordless phone and not sure I can keep existing one ?

Also, where did you get the info for the "Whirlpool Saver Naked DSL" ?

im on naked DSL with TPG, and pay $49.95/month or something like that.

I have a mobile phone on a $69 cap with vodafone, which gives me something like $400/month worth of calls.... way more than i ever truly need.

Back