My steal of the week. $20,000 cairns unit which vendor paid $113,000 for rent $160pw.

As for the error..... Its no error its based on fundamentals I will get $160 for it. I was told less from the agent but I do my own due diligence to come up with the number of $160pw.

Congrats Nathan $20k is cheap, i doubt you'd ever lose on a resale and you've possibly set a record for the lowest price in the building. Good luck and i hope it rents easily but the one for $140pw may likely get rented first if it's similar so you're waiting in line.. but even at $120pw you'd still be doing ok for $20k, more than 30% gross? Edit, just saw the 10% figure so more than 20% for outgoings?

These things are part of holiday resort, yet they rent private rentals. Strata is high, but at the figures purchased using cash it is 10%pa return on my cash purchased :)

I love games; Lets say $150pw and for every dollar less I receive I will match it personally and donate to charity? :)
Nathan.

ok so if it rents for $120pw then you'll donate $30 to charity ? :D

Last edited:
Looks like a newby/beginner purchase. High costs, and promised high rental return. What about vacancy rates.

$20000 for $160/wk rental income. Isn't the saying that if it looks to good to be true, it often is.

hahahahahaha * breathe in * aaaaaahhhhhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Have you got that in writing:rolleyes:

your cognitive dissonance is truly astounding. you, yourself, were harping on about "cherry picking" come 2013/14/20 (whenever..... :rolleyes:) and yet you have a go at someone doing the same thing.

i really look forward to you putting your money where your mouth is.

FTR, chances are you would pay cash for that price - only Nathan could clarify.

any return - 2, 5 or 10% is still a return and better than the cash sitting in the bank.

Not one of Nathan's best buy unfortunately...

1.service apartment
2. small, a lot of another unit in the complex has gone on sale for a low price as well
3. im guessing strata is extremely high for the size!
4. high vacancy and rent will be short term ( <3-6month)
5. Management control.
6. hard to sell

Reminds me of the student accommodation on top of Broadway- UniLodge
- City location, $150,000 --- rent for $340pw! --- but def a poor buy.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/NSW/Broadway/?adid=2009197977

Either way; without some risk you wont see return, and Nathan is still within his element and good at what he does; good luck with the purchase mate, hope it goes well :)

Regards
Michael

Michael,

I knew a woman back at least 10 years ago who was trying to sell her unilodge 'broom closet' for $130,000. It apears not much growth since then.

Nathan,

Seen some units up in cairns in A current Affair last night. Right opposite a backpackers. It seems its 24 hr noisy partying up there with drunken nude pole dancing on the streets, projectile vomit competitions etc.. I wonder if you one is near there??

Yes, she did buy it with cash. I wonder if she still has it.

And, I have nothing against drunken nude pole dancing on street signs, but it tends to get a bit noisy so wouldn't want to live next to that sign post.

I don't suggest anyone follow me on buying here. Nor do I on any of those cheap regionals I buy, just sharing what I am up to. It does have its risks but I have minimised these. I have found with Cairns units when tenant moves in they stay long term. I will have this rented to a permanent tenant, not as a holiday let so vacancy minimised. I bought it cash, and not after anything really except the opportunity to sell it in the next few years for quadruple what I paid for it and it be covering itself till this day arrives. :)

I don't suggest anyone follow me on buying here. Nor do I on any of those cheap regionals I buy, just sharing what I am up to. It does have its risks but I have minimised these. I have found with Cairns units when tenant moves in they stay long term. I will have this rented to a permanent tenant, not as a holiday let so vacancy minimised. I bought it cash, and not after anything really except the opportunity to sell it in the next few years for quadruple what I paid for it and it be covering itself till this day arrives. :)
with 20k, you bet you will see it at least double in few years time!

Not one of Nathan's best buy unfortunately...

1.service apartment
2. small, a lot of another unit in the complex has gone on sale for a low price as well
3. im guessing strata is extremely high for the size!
4. high vacancy and rent will be short term ( <3-6month)
5. Management control.
6. hard to sell

Reminds me of the student accommodation on top of Broadway- UniLodge
- City location, $150,000 --- rent for $340pw! --- but def a poor buy.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/NSW/Broadway/?adid=2009197977

Either way; without some risk you wont see return, and Nathan is still within his element and good at what he does; good luck with the purchase mate, hope it goes well :)

Regards
Michael

Good analysis. That said for so little money, why not? Can probably spend more on a birthday party for himself.

I probably wouldn't touch something like this specifically for some of the reasons you mentioned - but less those few issues I think it's okay.

Seen some units up in cairns in A current Affair last night. Right opposite a backpackers. It seems its 24 hr noisy partying up there with drunken nude pole dancing on the streets, projectile vomit competitions etc.. I wonder if you one is near there??

I'm wondering when I can move in. :D

The thing about Nathan's $20k investment is this;

Most people happily pony up for a car worth this much to buy, and in 5 years it will have returned them zero, and be worth - at best - half what they paid for it.

I know what I'd rather throw my $20k at.

A quick google shows body corporate rates of over $3000 a year for studios. Based on $160pw rent, thats more than a third of your rental income eaten up.

Still for $20k, returning $5k, better than ubank :)

A quick google shows body corporate rates of over $3000 a year for studios. Based on $160pw rent, thats more than a third of your rental income eaten up.

Still for $20k, returning $5k, better than ubank :)

Gross Rent (less 4 weeks vacancy) - $7680
Strata - $3000
PM fees - $600
Insurace - $250
Repairs - $200
Rates - $600
Water - $200

Remaining - $2830

Have I missed anything?

Back