My PPOR Renovations

The new guy we got in to help with the bathroom is bloody hopeless!

Attachments

• 20140529_221810.jpeg
    20140529_221810.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 20140529_221820.jpeg
    20140529_221820.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 182
Ultra cute. I have two goldens myself and my life is so much richer having them. Though when my youngest was a puppy I was about ready to send her back!

Enjoy!

Ultra cute. I have two goldens myself and my life is so much richer having them. Though when my youngest was a puppy I was about ready to send her back!

Enjoy!

Yeah when they are puppies they are crazy... he voluntarily went into the sink...and tried to dig the drain hole bigger then tried to eat the overflow drain... as you do. Luckily we have another golden that wears him out.

Since the last update, the steels have been put up under the house where 4 posts had been taken out to make way for bedrooms. I've also been doing the walls in the bathroom getting them ready for tiling. And I've done the front deck and I'm starting down the side now. We've also gotten an Apricus solar hot water system installed. It's been an absolute nightmare so far but the installers and apricus have been very helpful so hopefully it will come good.

Next on the agenda is to finish off the bathroom and the side deck and decking roof and hand rails for stairs. Then time to start building in under the house.

--Also those handrails aren't the final colors, they are second hand. We actually got about 60m of handrails for $400 :)

Attachments

• DSC_0265.jpg
    DSC_0265.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 318
Looks great Tim.
Is your lower level raised to be higher than the minimum habitable level for flooding? I'm guessing it's a fair bit cheaper building suspended timber than a slab on ground anyway.
Good work!

Looks great Tim.
Is your lower level raised to be higher than the minimum habitable level for flooding? I'm guessing it's a fair bit cheaper building suspended timber than a slab on ground anyway.
Good work!

Yeah it's got to be about 1.2m off of the ground because there is a nearby creek. The creek never floods, well it hasn't at least in living memory, but all creeks/waterways have a minimum flood zone surrounding them. This one is 1 in 100 years.

And yeah I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than building a slab in underneath. Especially when you get all second hand joists for the floor like we are doing. The bearers are actually going to be 125mm steel beams so that ups the costs a bit, but still cheaper than a concrete slab. Labour of course is free as I get the joy of doing it all myself.

Still have to get the cornices, and all the mouldings and the chandelier put in but it's starting to look like a bathroom finally :)

Attachments

• DSC_0292.jpg
    DSC_0292.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_0285.jpg
    DSC_0285.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0286.jpg
    DSC_0286.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0289.jpg
    DSC_0289.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0295.jpg
    DSC_0295.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 185
Some more pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0299.jpg
    DSC_0299.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0302.jpg
    DSC_0302.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 123
Very nice bathroom... I like it! :)

Thanks!

I still have a bit to do on it but it's pretty nice nearly having a whole room done.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, it's definitely not the typical all white minimalist modern bathroom that is so popular right now. It's going for a more ornate style, especially with the carved cabinetry I'm putting in and the chandelier and the decorative plaster cornices and gold fittings...but I'm a big fan of the manor houses in Britain so my sense of style is a few hundred years old. The challenge is trying to do it all on an overall budget of about $120k-$150k for the entire build.

Anyway by doing it all myself and getting things on sale or from gumtree I managed to do the whole bathroom for under $8000 which I'm happy with considering how much bathrooms can potentially cost even for a basic setup.

Oh and here are some before pics:

Attachments

• before bathroom.jpg
    before bathroom.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 142
  • another before.jpg
    another before.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 136
Great thread. I admire your tenacity. I can't even imagine hoisting my house up to build another beneath.

I like the bathroom too. It has a bit of an art deco/nouveau vibe. I'm a bit tired of whitewashed samey minimalist bathrooms.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the house.

Oh, and great looking puppy too.

The bathroom's not really my style, but I can see how much effort you have put into it! You've done a fantastic job. I'm very jealous that you can do all of this yourself.

Enjoying your updates.

Great job Tim - will be fantastic when finished.

Can I ask what suburb you are in??

Imagine it will add a lot of equity when you are done.

Great job Tim - will be fantastic when finished.

Can I ask what suburb you are in??

Imagine it will add a lot of equity when you are done.

It's in Salisbury (10k's from the CBD).

I'm probably over capitalizing for the area, but for a PPOR that we will live in forever I don't really mind.

Including purchase price I'm hoping the final build will come to $600 000. There are no real comparable sales to what the final product will be in our suburb. If you look at the suburbs next door, Moorooka and Annerly you start seeing similar builds, but nothing to the quality of spec we are doing. Similar land size with not quite as big of a queenlander will still set you back over a million in those areas.

But as we are in suburb where the median is only $440 000 and the higher end sales are still only $700 000, I'm guessing my build might push $750 000 -$850 000. If the suburb continues to improve then it might start attracting the buyers that are looking for million dollar properties, if that's the case then things would look much better.

Thanks Tim.

Mate of mine lives in Salisbury in a tiny house, small block on the busiest road, and its worth about $440k, so I think your numbers are about right.

There will be a lot of gentrification in the area over the next 4-5 yrs.

Third times the charm.

Shower is all working perfectly now with no leaks! :)

And the rest of the bathroom is slowly coming along. The plaster cornices arrive friday so it will be nice to have them up and the bathroom 99% complete.

Attachments

• DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0365.jpg
    DSC_0365.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
Back