My new pastime aquariums

I have gone nuts with tropical fish.

I have a 1ft tank, 3 by 18" tanks, a 20" tank, a 2ft tank, 2 by 3ft tanks, and the latest which I haven't even filled with water yet is a 4ft tank. Oh, and a pond.

Fish I have are 20 firetail gudgeons, 4 clown loaches, 4 kuhlie loaches, 3 sydontis eupterus (upsidedown catfish), 2 angelfish, 2 pearl gouramis, a dwarf gourami, 6 glass catfish, 4 bristlenosed plecos, 6 L397 plecos, 2 bettas (siamese fighting fish), a Siamese algae eater, 2 chinese algae eaters, 2 octocinclus algae eaters, a bolivian butterfly, a balloon ram, several different tetras, several species of corydoras, 5 bumblebee gobis, 6 halfbeaks, 2 scats, 7 kribensis, 10 sparkling gouramis, a couple of species of whiptail plecos.

My other interest is photography and a zoom macro lens and the fish for closeup photos go well together.

Here is one of my L397 plecos eating cucumber.
IMG_3321.jpg

Who else has aquarium fishies for a hobby? If you frequent fishy forums, my name on there is Brengun. :D

Good for you Brenda. I think fish are great. I have an old bathtub with african chiclids that have had lots of babies in there and also a pond with gouramis, originally 5 x 3 spot boring ones but now they too have bred and I have an endless supply of 3 spot, pearl, blue and yellow ones, which is a nice surprise as the parent fish were all the same. I even have an eel that I did not put in and can't work out how it got there.

Louise

I have approx 60cm aquarium, with 4 goldfish - 2 big comets, 1 little black moor and one little eggfish. And also 4 mystery snails in it.
We got given it on a freecycle, it used to have 6 fish, but 4 died from high ammonia after transition, only goldfish survived. We have bought another 3, and one died from high ammonia again. Now the water has settled so no more ammonia spikes.

Planning on a 4ft aquarium and more fish once we get a PPOR.

Hi Brenda,

I also have an upside down catfish, I have had him since I was 17 years old! That is over 13 years old he is now. He has outlasted my labrador.

Hi Brenda,

I also have an upside down catfish, I have had him since I was 17 years old! That is over 13 years old he is now. He has outlasted my labrador.

That is great information. I love hearing of fish which have had a good home like one of the family for years.
My upsidedowns won't know themselves in a few weeks. I have finally got my 4ft tank and have put it in its display area. Now just add water. :)

PS: I got the eupterus as little babies from the aquarium shop. They were labelled as corydoras but they just grew and grew. The aquarium offered to take the fish back and refund my money but when I found out upsidedowns were 4 times the price of corydoras, I decided to keep them. :D

A photo of one of my synodontis eupterus, also known as featherfins or upsidedown catfish. No, they don't often swim upsidedown cause they keep bumping into things. :D

IMG_3449.jpg

i got more then all of you!

hahahaha!

i got over 400 fish tanks and about 50,000 fish at any one time, actually got an aquarium shop and breeding room (closing the room down at present)

I noticed from your pics over last 12 months or so you seem to be getting into it, its an addictive hobby (dont have time now days).

i remember as a kid we started off with 1 small tank, then 2, then 3, then 4... then couple of shops, and yeh...

keeps you out of trouble.

oh BTW, i remember a couple of years ago the zebra plecos were illegal (smuggled into country), now there becoming popular around the tracks.

Very nice species.

I have seen pictures of the zebra plecos but I am not sure I'd like some yet.
Someone said they aren't really a fish which comes out in the open in the tank. I would hate to pay 1000's for something I hardly ever get to see.

My sparkling gouramis have turned out quite dissappointing. They are a gorgeous blue eyed little fish but they are always hiding behind plants.

I am enjoying the challenge of learning, not only fishkeeping but the intricacies of biological balance in the aquariums and the water as well.

Tell you what, it's a lot easier to trim an aquarium garden than a flower garden, and a lot less grubby. :D

Back