My nephew has swine flu! Hmm.....

Well, yesterday my nephew was tested for swine flu (his mother is a Nurse at a large Public Hospital in SA) and he tested positive for swine flu. He is a teenager and attends one of the schools affected in SA. His symptoms - a slightly raised temperature, just feeling unwell, but nothing more. And today, certainly no worse. And he isnt even taking the tamiflu - he has them, but his mum says he just doesnt seem unwell enough to take them.

We are thinking of having a swine flu party tonught to get some immunity.

You were kidding about the swine flu party right?
not the best idea...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i-VB_9IP5TEVmozh2Ua58D_6miqQ

Well, kind of tongue in cheek, but immunity now might be a good thing if this virus turns nasty. Harmless cowpox for instance, is the active part of the immunisation for smallpox. And having read that link, we too did this with chicken pox. My SIL who is a registered nurse and works in Intensive care has no concerns if other family members also get it (this is quite likely) as they are all fit and healthy. Thankfully my 80 year old mother has not been with them recently.

Well, yesterday my nephew was tested for swine flu (his mother is a Nurse at a large Public Hospital in SA) and he tested positive for swine flu. He is a teenager and attends one of the schools affected in SA. His symptoms - a slightly raised temperature, just feeling unwell, but nothing more. And today, certainly no worse. And he isnt even taking the tamiflu - he has them, but his mum says he just doesnt seem unwell enough to take them.

We are thinking of having a swine flu party tonught to get some immunity.
The side effects of tamiflu are similar to the flu itself and the net result is that you shorten the infection by a day. It has the hallmarks a "We've got to do something" type response.

I would need some convincing before I took it.

The side effects of tamiflu are similar to the flu itself and the net result is that you shorten the infection by a day. It has the hallmarks a "We've got to do something" type response.

I would need some convincing before I took it.

Yep, would agree with you about that Sunfish. And in the meantime we have used up all our supplies of anti-virals for a mild disease (so far) and will have none if the virus does mutate. His mother is a very sensible person, thankfully.

I've got a cold right now - man cold, so it's pretty bad. Of course, everyone asks me whether I've got the hog wog.

I've been travelling to and from the office out of peak hour in deference to my fellow travellers. Yesterday, a bloke said to me half joking, 'I hope you haven't been to Melbourne lately?'
'Nope', I said, 'Mexico'.
Had the train carriage pretty much to myself next stop.

my daughter has a cold.

basic chest infection, needed a ventilator-steam-thingo last night.

her grandfather came around, saw her and looked at us, very shocked - "have you had her tested for swine flu...?!"

i just gave him a look like "you're joking right" and i think he realised just how silly it sounded - being the day after kindy and all....

swine flu - panic for the masses.

DH came home from been out bush with the army for two weeks, he was run down and caught a cold from me and the kids - nothing serious. When he went in to work, he's boss sent him home and told him to go to the local hospital to get checked out for swine flu :lol: I couldn't stop laughing when he told me this! No one had even been identified as being infected in canberra at that stage, and the kids and I had been sick with a cold for the whole two weeks he was away (he had no contact with anyone other then his army mates out bush). I think it is just rediculous how everyone seems to overreact to this 'swine flu' thing. The truth is that swine flu is not more dangerous then the regular flu. If you are immuno compromised, elderly or a young baby it may be a problem - but the anything may be a problem.

We've got so many reported cases here in Melbourne, I feel almost left out.

I seriously sort of wonder if we've had it already and just dealt with it as a bad cold. :confused:

The good thing about Swine Flu (if there is a good thing) is that it MAY get morons to cover their mouth when they cough and sneeze. Mind you it didn't stop a guy at the shops "AAAHHH CHOOO"ing two steps away from me in my direction. No hand, no tissue, no hanky. Just let it all rain down freely.

Don't get complacent about the swine flu. It could be nasty.

The excitement in Perth at the moment is that the swine flu is attacking some of Perths finest schools.

If they're not safe then what hope have the rest of us got?!?!

Other laughable side effects of the swine flu are flyers being sent around work on how to wash your hands, how to cover you mouth and nose when sneezing and where to find the sanitary wipes.

The good news is that the paranoia has led to alot of people cancelling travel plans so there are some great international airfares atm.

The side effects of tamiflu are similar to the flu itself and the net result is that you shorten the infection by a day.
Sounds like Granny Clampett's cold remedy--which is quite similar to her moonshine--always works: "a cup every morning, and in a week or 10 days you'll be good as new."

I live in "swine city" and my wife is pregnant so she is scared shitless she will get the hog wog as someone put it. She wont let anyone in her office who has a cold and i am making anyone who is sick with any sort of cold stay away from work.

The interesting thing is that because there is so much information around about what you shouldn't do people with colds are a lot more considerate and the hand wash at work is being used by the truck load. Makes you wonder how many people don't wash there hands normally after going to the loo, kinda gross really.

When i was a kid my brother got mumps so my mother put us in the same bed so i would catch it, very kind of her. Not a very pleasent experience though mumps. I wouldn't reccommend it.

We met with our kids teacher today for a parent teacher conference.

She said they quarantine the kids but not the teachers who teach them... but what are you going to do - shut down the school for the rest of the year?

A workmate's daugter caught swine flu from a boy in her school. The following day my workmate had also been diagnosed with it (this was over the weekend). His desk is 2 meters away from mine...:eek::eek:

He's under quarantine now until tomorrow but I think we'll tell him to take the next couple of weeks off just to make sure.

I'm not really worried but it's wierd when it has come so close to me.

Either Tamifu makes a difference or the Swine flu is very mild.

A boy at my childrens school was put on Tamiflu on the Tuesday because of close contact with Swine flu but the parents even though they shouldn't have continued to send him to school because he felt well.

The health department then stepped in and pulled him out on the Fri and shut the school down after results came back positive. The family had no idea he had flu.

Well, the quarantines are off now, they have admitted it is a mild infection and they cant stop it anyway. About time some common sense came into this.

Yep
Easy to start a panic isnt it... I must admit having a heavy cold and working at the airport in Sydney made me a pariah for passengers... nice easy coupla days......no hassles or people standing 2 metres from me ..... and also passengers walking into the terminal with their hands over their mouths and asking where they can buy "swine flu masks" from...

ooooookayyyyyyy

I find all these various "flu" panics so ridiculous! No doubt big pharma purposely ramp it up so they make more money from selling flu vaccines. More people die every year from regular flu or asthma than have died from Swine flu or any of the previous animal flus that have made the news in recent years.

Frankly, unless it's ebola virus I don't want to hear about it.

My son is 8 yrs old and I heard on the grapevine one of the kids in his grade, not necessarily class, had the swine flu.

They no longer close schools in victoria.

He has been off the last few days with a cough and flu like symptons. More an excuse not to play football on the weekend, i think. He still has the same energy levels.

We took him to the doctor, just to check. The doctor was either confident he does not have the swine flu or they are no longer even going to worry about testing everyone. He was not put on any medication. So maybe we just over reacted.

Back