Misleading suburb titles on Re.com

I've just been looking for inner city properties in Cairns, and once again have found the large number of properties that come up under Cairns include such places as Gordonvale (a small town in its own right 20klms south of Cairns) and Second Beach, which is on the other side of Trinity Inlet and a good 3/4hr to 1 hour drive away.
It's frustrating enough being from Cairns, and recognizing the street names (e.g. one listed as Cairns, Dempsey St and knowing that is in Gordonvale, one listed as Cairns, Craven St. and knowing that is in Redlynch) - I'd hate to be from interstate, not knowing the area, and trying to search out places in a strange city.
It doesn't give me any confidence to look for places in cities that I don't know personally.
I feel this sort of listing by RE agents is misleading, but surely doesn't help them with sales of these properties anyway.
What do others think?

I hear ya....here you type in "Miles" and get places in Condamine, Drillham and Dulacca, relative little holes compared to Miles....I guess for places like Cairns, they need to be mroe selective...can't you unclick some of these suburbs???

This frustrates me too.
You can de-select suburbs on the second page. also untick 'include surrounding suburbs"

My pet peeve with RE.com is sold listings still there, some weeks old!
I usually check the original real estate page before presuming it's actually still for sale!! :mad: That's not always a guide either as real estate agents love to leave things sit to use as bait and switch! :mad:

You can de-select suburbs on the second page. also untick 'include surrounding suburbs"
:

Yes, but if the real estate agent has listed the property as (e.g.) Cairns, Dempsey St. with no mention of Gordonvale, it will be included in a search of Cairns, and de-selecting Gordonvale will have no effect at all, even if you know it's Gordonvale in the first place!
It seems to me that if you're looking for a place in a city you don't know, you'd need to have a friend there that you could ring up and ask "Is this street actually where they imply it is, or is it actually miles away?"
Are agents perhaps using this tactic to get more inquiries on a property from unsuspecting out of towners whose attention they can then turn to something else?

Back