Melbourne market-your thoughts

$700k 2 bedroom units in Toorak rent for around $430-450pw.

~3.1% yield.

Possibly an extreme example (it's a real life one), but not a mansion.

whaaaaat?

Try a rent of around $600 per week for a two bedroom apartment, in the CBD. Purchase price around $550k in the current environment. Yes not Toorak, but I still have my cashflow even though its a box in the sky.

Yes, unfortunately yields in Toorak are quite poor for some reason. Great value for renters, the apartment is beautiful. Oversized, city views, top floor, off street parking, trees and charm galore. 6km from the city but you can hear a pin drop on a Saturday night.

i.e. this place asking $485pw is probably worth over $700k - http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-toorak-412154723

Old houses in Beaumaris have a bad yield

Weatherboards that sell for around 800 - 1m

Rent out for about 450 - 500

So about 2.5%

I'm sure there's worse yields around but not many could lower that in the sub 1 million price range

Old houses in Beaumaris have a bad yield

Weatherboards that sell for around 800 - 1m

Rent out for about 450 - 500

So about 2.5%

I'm sure there's worse yields around but not many could lower that in the sub 1 million price range

Yeah, there are worse yields.. most noticeably in Glen Waverley, where many old places jumped to ~1.5-2mil range in recent months (accelerated after jumping from 800K-1mil in early 2013) and one would be lucky to get more than 450 a wk for these places.

Market has been flat since 2010 in Melbourne except for suburbs with good schools. Melbourne is due for a rebound you can buy a house for about $380k in western suburbs that is cheap, when the median is closer to 550K.

As a melbournite and property investor in melbourne I am very optimistic for Melbourne.

Re schools, you are right, there is exponential growth in appealing areas in the east with the attraction of the High School Zone. Places like Balwyn and Glen Waverley are clear examples of this, with a strong influence from our chinese friends.

Areas within 10km of the CBD are transforming, with developments springing up everywhere, whether I feel they are developments to invest in will depend on a variety of factors....use Hawthorn for example, the place is growing quicker than pinocchio's nose, really depends on the developer, location....vicinity to station and transport and for our overseas friends....the number of the building and if its north facing.

Melbourne is a place that will continue to grow.....for at least the next 12-24 months..

What can you get for under 350k these days in melb? :p

Hoppers

Werribee

Or you could chance your arm in Dallas, broady or st albans

270k for a 3 bed house

That's why i worry about all the threads on here about Logan /Elizabeth

These suburbs are almost proof that the bottom suburbs won't grow. And melbourne is a much more expensive city

Hoppers

Werribee

Or you could chance your arm in Dallas, broady or st albans

270k for a 3 bed house

That's why i worry about all the threads on here about Logan /Elizabeth

These suburbs are almost proof that the bottom suburbs won't grow. And melbourne is a much more expensive city

Logan and Elizabeth are outer suburbs of Bris and Adelaide and hence are priced cheaper than other suburbs in their city. How is that any different to the suburbs you've mentioned, they're outer suburbs which are cheaper than their closer-in counterparts, too.

Logan and Elizabeth are outer suburbs of Bris and Adelaide and hence are priced cheaper than other suburbs in their city. How is that any different to the suburbs you've mentioned, they're outer suburbs which are cheaper than their closer-in counterparts, too.

Yeah maybe the post was a bit rash but this is how I see it

You'll have to pay 250 ish in Logan for a house so similar to the melbourne examples ( a little cheaper). However you can buy in Brisbane within 8km to the CBD on a 600sqm block for 500k
Melbourne is much more expensive - maybe double the price

I was just thinking how I see little growth potential in those outer suburbs

Until a city gets to that high population/ low land stage that Sydney got to

Hello forum friends!!
I wanted to get some feedback from some of you clever folk, regarding the state of the Melbourne market.
I have 3 properties, 1 in a leafy north eastern suburb, (purchased 16yrs ago) , and 2 in another leafy eastern suburb. All a units, in nice neighbourhoods, close to all amenities and relatively low maintenance. Their capital growth in the last few years(as with most in melb) has been very very average. The last two properties were purchased 6 and 4 yrs respectively and have seen an average growth of about 5%. Very hard to get moving when the capital growth is so slow.
What do you guys reckon; anybody think that we may see great growth in the next 12 months, or shall I cut some losses and move on. Argh!!! So hard!!
Awaiting your words of wisdom and feel free to ask questions!!
Thanks,
Tgan

...so which way are you leaning to? Keep or Sell?

People invest in Elizabeth / Logan for the cashflow rather than CGs. Yields are higher here than anywhere in Melbourne (house on land +500m2).

I live in Melbourne and love it, but in terms of yield, its rubbish. I agree with much of what Feihong says. Low yields will keep lids on prices and will start to bite once interest rates rise. Its not going to happen tomorrow but rising rates are going to burn a fair few. I would invest within 15km of the city (north side) if anything. I can't believe these McMasions in woop woop (Nobel Park) are going for +$1.3m. It has to be destined for tears.

The Asians are killing the market (for new investors or new home buyers). I know an Asian businessman (lives and resides in Asia) who owns halve of Cheltenham and almost all his money has come from political nepotism. Id love to see how much of this Asian investment money is legit. Australia is a great easy place to hind your dodgy money. Non-citizens should only be able to invest in Commercial or multi-residential property. Its killing our affordability.

Cafe at Kingsway is attracting strong buyer interest because of its street number

As a melbournite and property investor in melbourne I am very optimistic for Melbourne...Places like Balwyn and Glen Waverley are clear examples of this, with a strong influence from our chinese friends...vicinity to station and transport and for our overseas friends....the number of the building and if its north facing...
:confused:

Number 8? :rolleyes:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/realestate/property-attracts-out-of-control-interest-from-chinese-buyers/story-fnhytr0m-1226864372926

Back