LOC...capitalizing the interest question

Hi All

I have been capitalizing the interest in my LOC and would like to pay the interest that has capitalized.

The amount is $8832.15.

By paying this amount would it be taken as an interest repayment or a principal repayment?

Regards

It would be a repayment of principal - the principal of the loan increases by the interest portion added each month.

However, the capitalised interest may still be claimable as a deduction depending on the circumstances.

It would be a repayment of principal - the principal of the loan increases by the interest portion added each month.

However, the capitalised interest may still be claimable as a deduction depending on the circumstances.

So therefore not deductable :(

Thanks Terry

Regards

You want to deduct the interest when incurred and you want to deduct it again when paying ?

Cheers,

Rob

No Rob that is not my intention. I never said whether i had or have not previously claimed it as a deduction. I apologize if my post made you think that I was trying to double dip so to speak.

My question that Terry had answered was whether the repayment was classed as a repayment of interest or a repayment of the principal.

Regards

No Rob that is not my intention. I never said whether i had or have not previously claimed it as a deduction. I apologize if my post made you think that I was trying to double dip so to speak.

My question that Terry had answered was whether the repayment was classed as a repayment of interest or a repayment of the principal.

Regards

No worries,

By 'capitalising' or compounding you have merely 'borrowed' a further amount.

This 'borrowing' is not a loss or outgoing in earning your assessable income.

If it is an investment loan, it is not the 'borrowing' but rather the 'incurring of a liability' to pay interest that is the loss or outgoing in earning assessable income.

The 'borrowing' is merely the source of the funds, i.e. a new loan.

You are merely 'repaying' loan principal, as opposed to suffering a loss or outgoing in earning your assessable income.

You are not 'paying interest' as such ... otherwise the loan would not have been growing in the first place.

Cheers,

Rob

Back