Living room floor tile size

Hiya

So i have fallen in love with those polished porcelain floor tiles and intend to put them in my living room cum kitchen (open plan) and also bedroom for my granny flat (thus we are not talking big areas here).

What do you prefer for tile size?

Option 1: 30 by 60 cm

Option 2: 60 by 60 cm

Total area is only about 23 sqm (living cum kitchen) and 12 for bedroom.

(also do you think porcelain will be too slippery for the kitchen??)

Will you be tiling DIY or engaging a tiler?

600x600mm porcelain will be very heavy for starters, and not a novice job. If you decide 600x300mm, will you go 'straight lay' or some type of brick/herringbone/basketweeve pattern?

Is the floor very level?

Polished tiles must be tiled on a very level base, and the better effect of polished floors is a very minimal grout joint (1-2mm) wich will be affected by any abnormalities in the chosen tile (only takes 1mm size variation to show up, or unsquare tiles cause problems).

Make sure each box is from the same batch - if they are not, do not fix them, take them back and get all from the same batch.

pinkboy

Tile Size

Hi Pinkboy

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

The 60 by 60 cm porcelain tile size seems to be very popular these days!

I am thinking of laying tiles in a straight course pattern if it is a square tile (60 by 60 cm) or a brick pattern if it is a rectangular tile (30 by 60).

I will be engaging a professional tiler...

I am only concerned whether my living cum kitchen plus small bedroom can take the 60 by 60 cm ....

Has anyone else used a 60 by 60 cm tile size for a similar room size?

Thanks !:)

Hi Pinkboy

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

The 60 by 60 cm porcelain tile size seems to be very popular these days!

I am thinking of laying tiles in a straight course pattern if it is a square tile (60 by 60 cm) or a brick pattern if it is a rectangular tile (30 by 60).

I will be engaging a professional tiler...

I am only concerned whether my living cum kitchen plus small bedroom can take the 60 by 60 cm ....

Has anyone else used a 60 by 60 cm tile size for a similar room size?

Thanks !:)

You can put 600x600 in any area. Big tiles make small rooms look bigger.

pinkboy

I'm also a fan of polished vitrified porcelain, have installed them in a family property of aroundabout your dimensions, and will be using them in an upcoming large development.

Pinkboys first post was on the money, cant fault anything he said. I would emphasis what he said about the floor needing to be level - if your tiler says that it needs floor leveler, take his advice and do it. The last thing you want is your tiler using very expensive glue to pack the level of the floor up.

As for them being slippery in kitchens, to be honest I can't say this has been the case in my experience, having lived in two separate homes with those tiles in the kitchen. The only time I ever slipped over on them was when installing a door - sawdust and polished vitrified tiles are a recipe for abruptly finding yourself on the floor wondering what the heck happened :D

In regards to tile sizes, it has been my experience that so long as you use a thin grout line, tile sizes and orientations don't really matter much because those sorts of tiles are so flat and regular that the overall surface tends to blend together, making grout lines less visible (and important) than in the case of a wide grout line and ceramic tile. In my opinion, using many smaller rectangular tiles is just going to increase the chance of the tiler making a mistake, and you trimming your toenails every time you walk over that spot barefoot, because porcelain tiles are sharp and hard.

In addition to Pinkboys posts, I would recommend that you test whatever tile you buy before you even think about final purchase, because not all porcelain vitrified tiles are equal. To adequately test them, get a sample tile and make marks on it using anything you can think of - permanent marker, whiteboard marker, lipstick, tomato paste, lead pencil, coffee, food, kids markers, crayons, keys - and then try to remove the marks at certain intervals ie right away, after letting the marks sit for an hour, letting them sit for a day.

The reason for this is that porcelain is porous, and will absorb various compounds if not glazed properly or enough.

When you inspect whatever tile it is, look at the tile from the edge - you will notice that the surface (glazed) layer is of a certain thickness. In general, the thicker the surface layer, the better the tile.

The other thing to look out for is that the manufacturers of porcelain tiles, particularly the Chinese, are a sneaky bunch - what they have been doing lately is to produce a poor quality tile, and then to wax it so that it looks/feels slippery, giving the impression of good quality. The obvious problem is that after the wax has worn off after you clean the tiles a few times/walk all over them, the porous top layer in the tile becomes exposed and they start to mark heavily and look terrible - so when you do your testing as described above, make sure to scrub, say, half of the tile really really well with detergent/scourer so as to get rid of the wax and expose the long term surface of the tile prior to marking with all of your test compounds.

To give you an example of how bad some porcelain tiles are in terms of porosity, ask a tiler how many times they've installed porcelain tiles and made permanent stains using grout, tile glue, or with a drop of sweat.

Anyway, good luck :)

Thanks Ocean Architect
i have proceeded to scrub and to mark! :p
And have decided on 60 by 60 !!

Yes, thanks Ocean Architect.

Virgo let me know the results of your tests - I'm not far off getting my next granny flat build underway and I was wanting to use these porcelain tiles too.

My Experiment -read only if you are keen on porcelain tiles

Hiya

At 9.30 am, had a good look at the porcelain tile; very thick tile with the glazed portion almost half the tile...ran my fingers lovingly across the smooth surface....:p

Proceeded to take a metallic scourer and gave it a good scrub across half the tile; held it against the light ....no scratches!!

Proceeded to mark tile with a permanent marker and a "temporary" marker...

7 hours later.....

1) "Temporary marker" - came off with a wet cloth without any stains under

2) Permanent marker- did not come off (as expected) ; so proceeded to scour it again with a metallic scourer...mark came off without a scratch and no stain under

3) Drop a 425 g can of tuna from eye level onto tile ...hey! did not crack and THEN WHAT THE HECK; it has been been a fun experiment ...let me drop a brick on it (please, no jokes at my expense here!!)

THE POOR TILE FINALLY GAVE UP; IT CRACKED AND DIED:p

Not that I particularly object to you torturing a tile to death and finally executing it by tuna can, but....you do realize that porcelain tiles are many times stronger than concrete and testing them for that isn't really very high on the list of ones priorities, yes? :)

When a tile is being bad or naughty, I generally throw it like a frizbee in the vicinity of a hard surface.

It doesnt get the job done any faster, usually leaves a hell of a mess, not to mention dangerous to anyone around the area........but

DAMN IT FEELS GOOD!!!

pinkboy......no tins of tuna were hurt during this post

Back