Last day at work

Thats it !!
I'm out of the PAYG / employee workforce.
Today is my last day.
Its a real mix of emotions and I don't think it has quite sunk in yet.

I have resigned ( on good terms!) to pursue property investing/development/building full time.

I'm probably going to be working longer and harder for awhile, but at least its more interesting than the old day job was.

It was property investing that got me to this point which effectively gave me the options and choices which included giving up the day job so I have a lot to be thankful for.

Can't recommend it highly enough ( property that is ... )

KEvin

Well done, kph, to be in a position where you can make that kind of choice.
Enjoy your new found "freedom".

Congratulations.

Hi Skater,
Started from one property in Perth in 2001.
We subdivided and built a duplex on it in 2003 and kept going after that.

I believe a 10 year plan is do able conservatively and you can condense that down to 5 yrs depending on the type of property and how aggressive you go.

K

Hiya,

Fantastic!! That's great news Kevin, absolutely awesome stuff :D

Best of luck with the next phase of your investing, mate. Looking forward to hearing more of your successes soon.

James.

Thanks Bernly,
Its not quite freedom yet ( took a left turn last year away from a passive income plan and started a building company which is effectively high risk but it is a lot more satisfying) but this should lead to 'freedom' pretty soon ( 12 months guesstimate)

well done Kevin, what a "prison break" in 6 years. Hopefully I'll be out of this
9 to 5 jail soon as well. But the only way to get me out of this job is a decent golden handshake or a heart attack.

Great stuff Kevin. What price freedom hey. Bet you had some cracking questions from the people at work as to how you could afford to pack it in.

We should catch up for a chinwag....

Well done. :)

Cheers Dazz,
You're dead right about the workmates.
You don't give up a well paid secure job to go chasing high risk pastimes like 'property investing' unless you're nuts. ( so call me nuts...)

Irony is that we have chronic a labour shortage in this country, and the more successful investors that pull the pin, the more we contribute to the problem.

Conclusion:
Property investing and investors are not good for the nation.

KEvin

well done Kevin, what a "prison break" in 6 years. Hopefully I'll be out of this
9 to 5 jail soon as well. But the only way to get me out of this job is a decent golden handshake or a heart attack.

Ta oasisfrog,
I'd recommend the first option if you get the choice! ( second one may be fatal)
Otherwise maybe a change of mindset to overcome the employee mentality ?
It may be daunting, but its worth the effort for the freedom it creates in your head.
Its not for everyone though, I'll admit that.

Irony is that we have chronic a labour shortage in this country, and the more successful investors that pull the pin, the more we contribute to the problem.

Conclusion:
Property investing and investors are not good for the nation.

Spot on....but then, we don't invest for the good of the nation - do we ?? We leave that noble past-time to the politicians. They can have their 150K p.a. plus perks to worry about that stuff. We'll concentrate on the well paid stuff.

To wind the clock back to where there was a plentiful source of cheap unskilled labour which is great for nation building and factory output......then I bags being the factory owner, not one of the poor sods sweating it out on $ 5 / hr.

Although, as a successful investor who turns into a self funded retiree.....who isn't a burden on the system, that's surely a good thing ??

Yes thats all correct in the end.
My response was tongue in cheek ...

Fact is one lost employee (me) has been compensated by me employing four full time staff and numerous subcontractors in the building company so I guess I am making up for it.

And my one resigned position has lead to the creation of three new positions ( no I didn't do the work of three men, quite the opposite in fact) but of the five initial applicants they are now down to one.

Reality is that the more successful investors you have out there who are in a position to pull the pin, the more individuals you have out there who have won back their time, and its time thats the most important thing.
Time to dream up new ideas
Time to plan
Time to implement plans
( I wish I had more time..)

Congratulations, Kevin! And all the very best for your 'new direction' in developing, building and (more) property investing! :)

Cheers
LynnH

Good on you Kevin.

Must be an awesome feeling.

When you started your building company, how much knowledge did you have in the building game?

Regards
Marty

Back