Keeping out the heat - Gladstone

Hi all

We have a new 4x2 house in Gladstone with new tenants having moved in late last year. They have been good tenants so far and have now requested whether we would agree to have the window in each of the (east facing) main bedroom and a (west facing) minor bedroom tinted due to the rooms getting very hot from the sun - even with the roller blinds down.

Our PM did an inspection this week at 10am and noted the main bedroom was very warm. Both rooms currently have ceiling fans and a blockout roller blind, plus the main bedroom has a split system air conditioner.

Being the first tenants in the property they are certainly the guinea pigs as to the comfort of the property. Having attended handover myself I can understand that the sun is an issue in these two rooms. I have also rented 'hot' houses and ended up moving on due to discomfort, so in the interests of stable tenants I am open to trying to resolve the problem at the outset both for these tenants and for the benefit of future tenants.

Is tinting the way to go and if so can anyone recommend a good window tinting company in Gladstone? Are there other options that I should consider, especially if they might be more economical? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Finally, would I ordinarily be responsible for the full cost of making this change, or would it be reasonable (or not) for me to have the tenant contribute to the cost due to this being their request?

Thanks
Angela :)

Glass Tint is certainly the lower cost option. Depending on the size of the glass in each of the two windows - it would probably cost $200-$300 installed

There are different types of Glass Tint available too. The cheaper Tint will also block a lot of light from the rooms, whereas the more expensive Tint will still allow a good amount of light through.

In terms of performance Roller Shutters or Awnings would keep a lot more of the heat out, but at a much higher cost.

As the Tenants requested Glass Tint, i would go with that.

Stangman.

If you are happy with the tenant so far then it is reasonable to work with them to keep them happy.

Four options IMO

Tint and you pay to keep them happy
Tint and go halves
Tint and they pay.
Tint and raise rent $5 a week

Personally I would go with the last one, any excuse to raise base level rent is always good.

I dont know if you can still buy it as I havent seen it for a while, but about 15 years ago you could buy rolls of a tint covering for a few dollars from I think it was autobarn that was sticcky on oneside you put water on it and stuck it on your window using a rubber blade, likethe type for cleaning windows to press the air bubbles out. You can buy roller blinds for outside made from a mesh,like shade cloth. That look good 180 cm with a 150 drop were only $70 at Dahlsens today, Bunning should have something similar.

Back