Kangaroo Island

Hi all,

First let me wish all a very prosperous 2009.

Anybody currently investing in KI off South Australia

If so why and if not, why not.

Cheers

Chrisv

Last edited:
Sorry, South Aus.

Sorry - you did say SA initially. No, its not for me - does not fit ANY of my criteria - except for maybe 'waterviews if possible'.

Of the 4 postcodes (5220,1,2 &3) on KI - only 1 of them has enough sales data to register a blip on any of the data collection agencies - all the rest say SNR - statistically not reliable.

Are you just being a 'tool' with this Q?

I spent a few weeks in KI in 2003, nice place. Bit backwards due to the little island thing.

I doubt property investment would be a viable business there unless you were local and could fill it with short term holidaymakers. There's not many people on KI and I doubt there's many renters. It would be a very static market.

Could make a nice lifestyle investment if KI is your thing. The couple of hundred dollars for crossing in the ferry with the car would probably put me off.

Hi all,

First let me wish all a very prosperous 2009.

Anybody currently investing in KI off South Australia

If so why and if not, why not.

Cheers

Chrisv

Not connected to the mainland by a bridge ? :D
Sorry, haven't been there for 5 years so I don't know what the current fees for the ferry are but I doubt they'd be cheaper. Last time it cost me $305 for a return ticket for 2people + vehicle and that was the same rate the islanders were paying. Surprisingly they did not have a discount for locals, I guess its a matter of pay up or swim across.

The ferry is about $220 for a vehicle and two people.
It has some of the worlds best beaches. I think it won an international best island award just recently.

The fact that the island isn't connected to the mainland is what makes the place so special. It is fairly quiet on the roads, everyone is really friendly, helpfull and courteous. There are plenty of holiday homes worth >$1m there because of the exclusivity the cost of getting there provides.

As for investing there, I don't know the market there at all. We were there between Christmas and New Year and there were lots of people holidaying and there didn't seem to be any holiday homes that weren't booked out. As always do your research and if it adds up then go for it. Access to the island will only get cheaper/easier in my opinion and it's a great place to get away.

Gools

Market would largely be for holiday accomodation - thus very seasonal. Different market to straight residential letting, different strategy required.

I like KI - and agree that it has some of the best beaches in the world (were there the week before Christmas 3 or 4 years ago and had an incredible beach all to ourselves!)

I like KI - and agree that it has some of the best beaches in the world (were there the week before Christmas 3 or 4 years ago and had an incredible beach all to ourselves!)

How can you be sure ?

Some of the biggest noahs in the world patrol those waters.

It'd want to be pretty darn hot and pretty darn shallow (no more than ankle deep) before you got me flappin' about like an injured seal in those waters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I agree with all of the responses. Not a hotspot for investors and I hope it remains that way.

Certainly a hotspot for peace and quiet, friendly natives, deserted beaches, great fishing, wildlife and very affordable sea change. (5 Acres - 200m absolute beach front - $250k)

This is where I will hang my retirement shingle to see out the rest of my days with the little lady.:D:D

Cheers Chrisv

i know people living there, its a very nice and relaxing place to live. In some ways it can be easier to move there from interstate as it is frustrating to be so near and yet so far from your friends in Adelaide unless you own a boat or are willing to stump up the ferry fees regularly. so be prepared for the effort to rebuild your social circle with locals either way.

so be prepared for the effort to rebuild your social circle with locals either way.

This will not be a problem since we would have to do this wherever we go. We are moving from a Pilbara mining town back to civilisation. It will be nice just to live without airconditioning and hot water coming from the cold tap.

On KI they get excited when somebody gets booked for turning without indicating. :eek: Here we rejoice if we can get throuhg a week without getting the car rifled. :mad: It is easier to remove everything from your vehicle and leave it unlocked. At least you do not end up with a broken window.

Anyway, in the words of the inimitable Big Kev......I'm excited!!:D:D

Cheers.

Chrisv.

I know of a family who experienced massive capital growth there, with a couple of blocks of land on American river in just a couple of years. They went up 4 x what they paid.
Incidentall, I'm not certain about the current situation but locals used to get 50% discount on the ferry but they had to purchase their return fare on the island, eliminating the option of buying cheap tickets for friends or relatives on the mainland.

Back