Is this positive spin??

This article was printed today via eNewsWire which is provided by IndustrySearch.com.au

Housing undersupply needs a policy response-builders

12/03/2009 - The release of the Commonwealth Government's National Housing Supply Council State of Supply Report adds weight to the case for removing obstacles to building activity, Master Builders Australia Chief Executive Officer Wilhelm Harnisch said on Wednesday.
Click here to find out more!

Harnisch welcomed the Report as a useful initiative of the Housing Minister Tanya Plibersek which provides valuable information to the building industry and policy makers.

The State of Supply Report confirms the analysis by Master Builders Australia that a lack of building has led to a massive undersupply of housing. The Report estimates an undersupply of housing of 85,000 in 2008 growing to 203,000 by 2013 and 431,000 by 2028.

"The large and growing undersupply demonstrates the potential for housing to play a key role in stimulating the economy if obstacles to building activity can be removed," said Harnisch.

"Reducing taxes such as stamp duties and developer charges, speeding up development applications, and increasing the supply of land would all remove current barriers to building activity."

Master Builders Australia's views on removing impediments received support from the Council's Report, which concluded that "measures to increase land supply and reduce the cost of urban infrastructure to homebuyers would likely stimulate an increase in production and a reduction in the price of new housing."

Master Builders Australia also strongly endorsed the Council's view that the government needs to consider "the incidence and impact of taxation on land and housing," and that the "infrastructure provision and charging regime is 'ripe for review'."

"In the current economic environment, early action to remove the barriers to building activity can not only stimulate the building industry, but help to head off a destabilising bust-boom-bust cycle," said Harnisch.

Source: AAP NewsWire

Link here. http://www.industrysearch.com.au

/News/Housing_undersupply_needs_a_policy_response-builders-37389

I was wondering whether it is a bit of a beat up or dinkum. Anybody out there with knowledge??

Cheers

Chrisv.

I was wondering whether it is a bit of a beat up or dinkum. Anybody out there with knowledge??

Nah, it is fair dinkum - we have been building 45,000 homes too few for both our organic population growth as well as our large immigration intake.....and been doing so since 2007 I think it is.

Once the GFC is put to bed in a couple of years this will lead to massive undersupply of new stock and potentially construction costs IMO.

NOT 2L8,

Anything published by an industry body/lobby group that references another report should be viewed with some degree of skepticism, until at least you have had a chance to read the original report.

Not common sense - just good native judgement.

And no...I haven't read it.

ciao

Nor

Edit: (Chapter 6 for the conclusions/key findings)

Back