Investing in Businesses

Hello all,

I’ve always been intrigued by the concept of investing in businesses, but what does this mean, and how does one go about it?

• Start my own. Not really an option for me. This is not investing per se in my book but rather a way of replacing my current income.
  • Buy an existing one. OK, sounds good. But can one buy a business for say $200,000 - $500,000 that will run itself? Will a bank lend for that?
  • Join a syndicate or group, provide funds to others to begin or buy a profitable company. Where on earth do I find opportunities like this?
Cheers

TB

I’ve always been intrigued by the concept of investing in businesses, but what does this mean, and how does one go about it?
  • Start my own. Not really an option for me. This is not investing per se in my book but rather a way of replacing my current income.

To me, investing in businesses means buying shares and being a part owner of these businesses..... Simple....... I'm also starting my own business and I see that as an investment. It's will provide additional income for purchasing more IP's and more shares and more managed funds etc....

• Buy an existing one. OK, sounds good. But can one buy a business for say $200,000 - $500,000 that will run itself? Will a bank lend for that?

I've been looking for the last few years for a business that I can throw money at that will run itself. There aren't many targets to choose from. My bank will lend em, however I'm yet to find a suitable target business that can fulfill the following needs:

• Gush moola from trading day one.
  • Fill bank account daily with lots more moola.
  • Feed my family of four people, three times a day, 7 days a week while continuing to produce astonishing amounts of moola.
  • Provide even more moola for overseas holidays to exciting travel destinations every few months.
  • Need nil to minimal supervison.
Oh well , the search continues....:p

• Join a syndicate or group, provide funds to others to begin or buy a profitable company. Where on earth do I find opportunities like this?
Cheers
TB

I like going to the pub... (secret men's business) My wife has noticed this and said you should buy shares for the pub. Got me thinking.....I've been investigating hotel property syndicates - I just asked the manager of my local watering hole a few questions. He gave me some details and I will do my Due Dilligence.

Hello all,

Cheers

TB

Running businesses is one of the best investments going, because the value and the profitability of it are all under your direct control.

Buying them is not too hard, but the borrowing levels are different than for property; most lenders are looking at around 60-70% LVR's so you need to come up with bigger deposits. Existing businesses can be bought using LoDoc and NODoc if you have an ABN already. Accountants need to be consulted for the details for your circumstances.

Also, smaller businesses are not "run themselves" propositions generally. I would say that unless the business is turning over at least $1 mill it is not a "hands-off" proposition.

I ran Prop Shops at golf clubs for 25 years. My last one had a turnover of around $400-450k per year. It netted me around $80k, but the hours were minimum 60+ per week. Work out that hourly rate! I couldn't leave this business in the hands of a manager; not enough profit. So that's agood indicator I think.

But the benefits were hidden; I got to run many living expenses through the business, so the real profit was greater, as to pay for those expenses with after-tax money would have required a much higher paying employeee salary, working for a boss under his/her terms and so on.

But you can start with a small business, work hard for a few years and build it up, then look to moving up in levels. Fish and chip shops, cafes etc are good for this, but are work intensive.

But it can depend on the business. For example; laundrettes can be hands-off if they are big enough.

I am currently in negotiations to buy a business costing $150k plus stock (another $100k). This is not big by any means, but it will provide an average income, easy hours, lots of tax perks, and will be the springboard for another, bigger one in a year or two, and so on, until there is enough businesses or a big enough business to have it managed.

But I don't expect to be totally hands-off; it's fun running them, and I would always like to keep a small hand in the goings-on.

The profits will be used for living expenses, and re-investing back into the business, and the wife's income will be used for more investing in property.

The purchase will be done using existing equity and another loan for the balance. Basically; I am buying a job.

Providing funds to others to buy businesses is risky. I wouldn't do it; especially if it is a start-up, unless you know the person and the nature of the business intimately.

The same goes for investing in businesses with others.

Have a look here: http://www.businessangels.com.au/

Best and cheapest way to finance a business is to use a LOC taken on the equity in your property.

The majority of small business owners work a lot of hours for a return they could probably get with a decent JOB. Thats because most don't know what they are doing.

Being a great plumber has nothing to do with being a great business person.

Passive income and small business rarely exist together. As LAA sys, not enough cream to pay a manager and even if there is most managers are hopeless and need looking after like an overpaid employee.

Unless the business has systems but thats a whole nother story.

Last edited:
Easiest way is to finance through equity built up in your properties.

You won't be able to buy a cheap business that will run itself for a good profit, expect to make changes, implement systems and work your *** off. I've heard franchises can be tough, they usually require you to be an onsite manager or the big ones lease the franchsise to you, and after say 20 years they will take it back, including all the goodwill you have built up.

There are plenty of startups looking for investors, but i wouldn't trust my money with them personally (i need control of my money). If you want to go down the path of business then I'd recommend buying something small or starting your own. Read alot of books and be dynamic about your business plans. It's an always ever changing job but once setup with the right systems in place and it turning over a nice bit of profit into your back pocket each week you can move on to another one and another one.

The fundamental analysis in buying shares in any business (listed or unlisted) should be the same: revenue growth, profit growth, ROE, PE Growth, debt ratio, interest cover, etc

Cheers,

The Y-man

Just though of some more stuff. Not to do with running businesses; but the mindset of business owners.

1. Played golf with a bloke yesterday who is around 60 or so. Turns out he owns 5 businesses on Pier 39 at Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran.

They are all smallish; dount shop, chocolate shop, burrito stand and forget the others. He's had them for many years, slowly added on to the number.

I said: "you must be able to get a bit of free time away these days after all this time?"

He said; "I go in early and do all my work before the shops open (10.00am) and the staff do the rest. I only work if there's a problem".

2. Many of the members at a golf club where I worked as a young bloke were wealthy, had their own businesses, and were older. They still worked because they wanted to; not because they needed the money.

Last edited:
They still worked because they wanted to; not because they needed the money.

Love it! This is where I want to be!

Currently exploring ALL avenues to get there - property, shares, managed funds, business, job, etc.

I guess my question about business is part of my wider search for the tools to get where I want to go...

TB

Back