How would you create this income?

I havent posted one of these threads in a while thought now might be a good time to do one...

The idea is to evaluate different strategies in a hypothetical situation. Here is the situation (its nice and easy at this stage);

Ms & Mz ICGC

$2m CAB

Minimum Income Req'd (Passive) $200K NET

How would you create this income?

*Capital erosion allowed (but preference is for this to not happen)
*Timeframe - Immediate income for XX years
*Waiting for discussions on what passive means :p

XBenX said:
*Capital erosion allowed (but preference is for this to not happen)
*Timeframe - Immediate income for XX years
*Waiting for discussions on what passive means :p
For me passive means NOT IP - it means blue chip shares or Listed property trusts (LPT).

1) Buy $2M basket of LPTs yielding 7.5% to 9% - distributions are partially tax deferred - so only pay tax on part of the income
2) Set up margin loan for $2M so max gearing is 50% (most LPTs allow 65%-70% gearing)
3) Assume LPT distributions increase at CPI or 3%pa
4) Assume margin loan interest is 8%pa
5) If/when distributions don't cover income requirements transfer funds from margin loan a/c.
6) Never sell shares - never pay CGT.
7) When tax bill arrives pay it from margin account (effectively use it as a LOC)
8) Capitalise margin interest on margin loan a/c
9) The increase in distributions will eventually pay off all the tax & interest accumulated in the margin loan and gearing will stay below 50%.
10) Capital will not be eroded.
11) This assumes the requirement for $200Kpa does NOT increase with CPI.

An alternative to this is put 15%(ish) into a cash account (earning 5% ish) and drawing down on that instead of setting up margin loan.

A lower risk alternative - don't borrow at all - sell enough shares annually to cover the shortfall in income (& pay tax). Hopefully, they've increased in value enough so next years distribution is slightly bigger. In a perfect world the yr 1 shortfall would be $30K (assuming a yield of 8.5%), so sell $30K of shares, in theory they will have risen 3% (or CPI), so they will have gone up $60K. This may erode capital, but should last for 20 yrs or so.

All of the above scenarios depend on tax rates, %age of LPT distributions that are deferred, CPI, interest rates etc.

They may be considered fairly low risk ways of earning a passive 10% net over a long period without eroding capital.

A higher risk way -
1) Buy $2M basket of blue chip shares, preferably high yielding with reasonable growth, banks, LPTs, Telstra, retailers - yielding approx 7% gross, and with an allowable gearing of 70%.
2) Set up margin account for $4M, so gearing is max of 66%
3) Let dividends pay part of margin interest - let the rest of the interest get capitalised.
4) Use margin account for living expenses - like a LOC. Keep good records.
5) Rely on growth in shares to keep to LVR down to below 66%
6) Never pay any tax, unless dividend income exceeds margin interest payable.
7) Increase margin loan as required.

Assuming stocks return 11%pa including dividends, this will have a max gearing of under 70% before it starts to reduce the margin loan.

Another alternative - buy $4M shares with 50% gearing, and let the dividends pay off all the interest. Draw down on margin account for living expenses. Hopefully the shares will grow faster than you can draw down living expenses and keep the gearing low.

The bottom line is - play with Excel and make reasonable assumptions.

KJ

Of course, none of this is advice.

Heres a rough way of doing it ..

- I've been fairly conservative with some of the variables.
- Tax is completely ignored
- Property refers to non commercial, but could conceivably be an entire block of units.
- Shares refers to LPT's, Managed funds, or even a self-managed 'capital preservation' type strategy like the '5-minute investor'. Or a nice mixture of course.
- All shortfalls are made up out of cash reserves, everything over 200K is re-invested back into cash (or could be given to charity).
- Total portfolio LVR is always less than 60%
- Property LVR is capped at 75% and I havent bothered adding to the porperty portfolio along the way, which is something I would do.
- Property growth includes inflation .. i have assumed for the next couple of years, well chosen property should at minimum keep pace !!!!
- Property actually takes a complete pounding in this scenario

Rough strategy: Shares for income, property for growth and leverage, cash as a safety buffer.

This ignores the cashbond alternative too.

All .. please, cruise through this worksheet and tell me what you think. Really looking forward to see if anyone finds it useful as a crude modelling tool.

T.

Attachments

• Scenario.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
KeithJ,

thank you for that informative post.

I have a few elements of your plan in place without having a well thought out plan at all.

I have cash (though a lot less than $2m), I have a margin loan account with Leveraged Equities 8.15%, and I hold LPT's (Macquarie stuff).

My question relates to "tax deferred". Does this simply mean that "tax deferred components" from a Macquarie CountryWide Trust distribution are taxable in subsequent tax years i.e. part is taxable in 2004/2005 year and part in 2005/2006 year"?

Edit: Just answered this myself

http://www.asx.com.au/markets/l3/PropTrustsTaxDef_AM3.shtm

They are distributions of capital (not taxable) but reduce the cost base of your holding for subsequent CGT calculations when (if) you ever sell.

Am also having difficulty with LPT's that go ex distribution without stating whether any of the distribution is franked (some say we will advise of franking credits 2 months after it goes ex-distribution) . I am right on the limit of the exemption to the 45 day franking credit rule i.e. just under $5000 franking credits for my personal account during 2004/2005 and don't want to be pushed over by a surprise franked element from an LPT distribution. I could always switch entities but the issue keeps coming up given am also following a strategy of buying stocks when dividends are announced.

I note your strategy relies in part on never selling. This would avoid payment of any deferred tax on LPT distributions. If I never sold my ex-divvy shares (or at least held for 45 days) there would also be no need to worry about exemptions to 45 day franking credit rule.

Ajax

Last edited:
Ajax said:
thank you for that informative post.

I have a few elements of your plan in place without having a well thought out plan at all.

I have cash (though a lot less than $2m), I have a margin loan account with Leveraged Equities 8.15%, and I hold LPT's (Macquarie stuff).
Ajax,

The strategy is similar in some respects to the Navra strategy of living off capital, but uses a conservatively geared margin loan a/c instead of IP equity.

Ajax said:
My question relates to "tax deferred". Does this simply mean that "tax deferred components" from a Macquarie CountryWide Trust distribution are taxable in subsequent tax years i.e. part is taxable in 2004/2005 year and part in 2005/2006 year"?

Edit: Just answered this myself

http://www.asx.com.au/markets/l3/PropTrustsTaxDef_AM3.shtm

They are distributions of capital (not taxable) but reduce the cost base of your holding for subsequent CGT calculations when (if) you ever sell.
As you've answered, the cost base is reduced, so if you sell then you pay CGT later (hopefully with 50% discount) instead of income tax today, so you end up better off in terms of c/f and tax payable.

Ajax said:
Am also having difficulty with LPT's that go ex distribution without stating whether any of the distribution is franked (some say we will advise of franking credits 2 months after it goes ex-distribution) .
I believe it's rare for LPTs to have franking credits. They are usually set up so all income must be passed straight on to shareholders and they pay no tax themselves. I'd guess that is because they were set up before franking credits could be claimed by the shareholder. The tax deferred component/percentage varies every year - is that what you mean ?

You should have received this week the Macquarie Property newsletter - it had an insert about a new unlisted Property Trust stating the forecast yield of 8% and rising & a tax deferred component - 100% deferred for 1st 2 yrs, followed by about 90% and 72%.

KJ

Great stuff guys - some very interesting ideas. Good to see higher yielding alternatives compared to what is usually discussed on the forum.

Thanks - Gordon

An amusing scenario,,, pelican, a crab & a Jellyfish

Mr Pelican has an idea, that he and the help of Mr Crab can create a massive windfall. But without the help from Mr Crab Mr Pelican will just keep siting on telegraph poles looking for his dinner on the local bridge.

Mr Pelicans idea is faultless, He has already organised 30 OTP beach side units. He has already sold all his property OTP, while his delayed settlement of two years come to an end on the Land. Mr Jellyfish currently owns that land and is rubbing his tenticles together and hoping Mr Pelican can not make this settlement date. If Mr Pelican can't make settlement all that hard work of getting the DA & BA approved by council along with all the signed unconditional contracts on the pre sales will be lost AND no doubt uterlised by Mr Jelly fish.

Mr Pelican was very slack with paper work & used a Bad Broker/Bank/ solicitor as well. The Bank and Mr Pelican HAVE been lazy and somehow stuff up the timing of the proposed settlement. Mr Jelly fish is so excited he tells Mr Pelican " thank you but I have now decided to keep the little space of beach land". And due to your lateness your deposit as well.

So enter Mr Crab with his 2mil dollars. But Mr carb wants a lot of fish at completion of the units if he is to help Mr Pelican. But Mr Pelican Needs Mr Crab so bad or he losses Big time.That extra fish would be another 1million dallars of the profit. Yes that is 1/3 of Mr Pelicans Catch and Mr crab only had to sign a form to get it.

This story is based on many true situations that arise every month. You just need a good Broker or solicitor who hears about them & you need to let them know you have the cash ready to help out the Pelicans.

OV

Back