How to fix a crack in a wooden door jamb?

The main door to my apartment has a crack in the door jamb (see attached photo).
I noticed the door wasn't closing automatically, like it should. An electrician was on site so he tightened the screws a little bit (the door wasn't his problem but he happened to be there). He said we need to get longer screws so the screws get further into the meat of the wood.
Can this be done, or do we need to replace the whole door?
The door does have plenty of chips it, in general.
It's old and the door, jamb and frames are all made of wood.
We will be getting the common areas of the property painted as soon as possible (or, knowing strata, within the next 2 or 3 years!).
So, is the door worth repairing? I am asking as we would be paying to get it painted as part of the paint job, so it might be worth it just getting a new door?
Thanks.

Attachments

• WP_20141031_017.jpg
    WP_20141031_017.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 205
  • WP_20141031_016.jpg
    WP_20141031_016.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 178
No more gap and paint.

It's wood, splits happen, gaps happen. That split is tiny anyway.

If you are going to put in longer screws, just pre drill the hole first so you don't split it any more.

The jamb is cracked. Is it your front door? Should you have a solid core door with a minimum of -/--/60 rating?

One swift kick from an intruder and their inside your unit.

No more gaps is for gaps not structural repair work. Time for a new jamb as this is the side which holds up the door.

I normally drive a few nails into the side to close up that gap....but a new door jamb is the best solution I think also.

The jamb is cracked. Is it your front door? Should you have a solid core door with a minimum of -/--/60 rating?

No more gaps is for gaps not structural repair work. Time for a new jamb as this is the side which holds up the door.

As the tradie said, you can just screw further into the more solid bit of wood.

Otherwise you could just drill through the hinge and add a few more screws.

As for being able to kick the door in I doubt it. In any case it will be much easier to just break your window to gain access.

Longer hinge screws are not going to achieve anything. You need to put a couple of screws in from the edge of the jamb to pull the crack together. Remove the screws from the hinges and locate of couple of long screws in the edge of the jamb and in between the hinge screws. Crack will be closed up and the hinge screws will hold tight again.

Tools

Thanks Scott.

Oh noooooooo

Here we go again.

Yet another fight with the strata.

I'm going on holiday soon. I'll worry about this when I get back. I don't want to deal with the matter halfway and be stewing over it on my holiday.

By the way, the door actually has windows in it. So, an intruder could also just smash the windows, stick their hand in and open the door. No need to kick the door down!

Longer hinge screws are not going to achieve anything. You need to put a couple of screws in from the edge of the jamb to pull the crack together. Remove the screws from the hinges and locate of couple of long screws in the edge of the jamb and in between the hinge screws. Crack will be closed up and the hinge screws will hold tight again.

Tools

Thank you.
OK, let's try this.
I'll talk to the handyman about it.

Does anyone know how much a new door will cost?
Door, jamb, frame and everything.
I'm sweating just thinking about the fight I'll have to put up for that!

try Doors R us

Tools

Agree with too Tools - however if you can put the replacement back onto BC it would be a better option.

I take it that you have bought into an old block of units MGE. My concern would be that a fire order may be in the wind, so lots of compliance issues and special levies to come.

Thanks Scott.
I'll start worrying about it after my holiday.
Then I'll book another holiday.
I only booked a short holiday this time, because I don't really need one right now.
I sure will later.
Sigh, thanks.

Gumtree is pretty good for doors.

I got my front doors from gumtree at a fraction of the price compared with new.

Doors tend to be pretty standard sizes too.

If it is only 20 years old what sort of place is it?

You call it an apartment but is it a unit in a multi story block or are they single level on ground type units?

miss green eyes

Not your problem, get body corp to fix
Thats what you pay all that extra money for every year

Hi Scott,
Define 'old'?
My block is less than 20 years old.
What's a fire order?
I'll google that.
Thanks for the heads up.

A fire order is an order issued by council to comply with the building regulations. As the unit is 20 years old it should be BCA compliant. it may predate the BCA (1990) but not Ordinance 70. The fire order specifically relates to the fire safety of the occupants eg fire doors, exit lighting, hose reels, extinguisher placement, smoke spill systems, paths of egress etc.

The requirements will vary depending upon the type of building that you occupy eg multi storey vs villas. Door opening into a foyer/stairway or external/open space etc.

Strata management and body corporate should be addressing any non-conformance issues.

Hi handyandy,
It's a unit in a small multi storey block.

Scott - my building post-dates the bca 1990 i guess, as it was built after that.
I'll google what you have provided later, thank you.

Macca and dec - hahahaha!!!! I bought a unit thinking life would be easier as strata would take care of the common areas.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
I organise alot of it myself, and in fact have to fight strata and the exec to get even the smallest of repairs (like the light) repaired.

I will think through my options.

Back