How to cover water stains

IP has several brown ring stains on ceiling in two bedrooms. Looks like some major leaking in the past and mould.

I have just finished painting the house. Thoroughly cleaned ceiling. I Painted over them with Zinssar stain blocker oil based. Then two coats of ceiling paint. A week later the brown rings have come through and look worse or are more obvious than before.

Are there other products I can use to stop the stain penetrating?

HD ACE

Not sure - but it did cross my mind too. Looks like I will have to get over my fear of heights and check it out myself. (I did ask hubby to check it out before I painted - he didn't, thought it unnecessary).
It bugs me having to do things twice that could have been avoided. Measure twice cut once they say.

I heard somewhere you can paint over the stain with an oil based paint over the stain and the water mark/stain won't leach through. I'm assuming it would still be ok to paint over the oil based paint with the water base paint that I'm assuming you're using but not sure how well this would work.

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know.

Good luck with whatever way you go.

You should do 2 coats of zinnser oil based sealer before your top coat. If you get penetration still then you still have a water leak.

we have used zinnser too (we needed three coats). It stinks but is good stuff for hiding stains :D
You need to let it dry really well between coats.

Back