Houseboats?

The best boat is always somebody else's - that's from someone who has owned a couple. The first season is great, but then you realise the maintenance often needed by a boat. Much better to hire one when you want to use it. Most people don't end up using their boats much.

The two happiest days of boat ownership:
1. The day you buy it.
2. The day you sell it.

If you want one of these for holidays, you're probably better off hiring when you need it.

yeah, Ive heard the if it floats, flies, or F*(s
then to rent it

which is true for most boats,

but wouldnt something like this be more like a house, ie pay rates of $1000 per year, ie maintenance, and you'll be set?

I had a great day out on the harbour on Sunday - the navy celebration thing was on last weekend.
A mate of mine owns a 36 foot ex Cockatoo island workboat built in the 1940s. It's a great old thing and I borrow it every now and then to take people around the harbour.
At the end of the day, I drop it back and give the bloke some money for diesel and that's it. Perfect.

When I had my last boat, people I took out for day always said, 'Hey, next time you get it out of the water to do the hull, give me a yell and I'll come and help.'
I used to slip it every year. It was a 1927 built, 38 foot timber cruiser and that hull was huge when it was sitting on a slip.
I always called every single person who had said they would give me a hand and they were always busy.

We have hired a houseboat a couple of times and they do make for a nice holiday. They would cost a fortune to keep though, I imagine.

Would I want to live on one? I wouldn't, I like my 125 m2 of house with another 125m2 of storage space. Each to their own, other people might love the tiny space. Notice the ad doesn't show the bedrooms or the bathroom........what does that tell you?

The two happiest days of boat ownership:
1. The day you buy it.
2. The day you sell it.

If you want one of these for holidays, you're probably better off hiring when you need it.

I've seen a few purchased via equity in a property. Always makes me sigh!

My parents lived on a house boat for a while before they had kids. I think they hired it. I met a girl once who inherited $20000. She hired a house boat and shouted her friends and partied for 3 months until the money dried up. We inherited a dumpy boat that had been stormdamaged in the ocean. The kids in the street used it to play pirates. It used to fill up with water and stuffed up the paving. Ended up getting rid of it. I would rather hire a boat but my husband is a bit tempted to get a little tinny...

My parents lived on a house boat for a while before they had kids. I think they hired it. I met a girl once who inherited $20000. She hired a house boat and shouted her friends and partied for 3 months until the money dried up.

I like her guts and quirkiness!!!

Partying for 1-2 nights anyone can do,

3 months!!! now that is a damn good effort!

Friends of ours got married and invited 8 friends (2 couples + 4 singles) away on a 10 berth houseboat on the Murray for 5 nights for their honeymoon ... yes, we got to go on their honeymoon with them :eek:

It was a blast - one of the guys brought a ski boat, which we towed along side, the kitchen on the boat was nicer than our own, plus a BBQ out the front, spa up on the top deck, comfortable lounge with full entertainment unit.

I think this is the one we hired: http://www.houseboats.com.au/pages/unforgettable-fleet/unforgettable-4.php ... and that was one of the cheaper models!

Definitely wouldn't want to own one though.

Avoid!

It is enough to have to maintain window and floorcoverings, plumbing, cabinetry, electrics and so on. Imagine plonking your house in the water so it can warp and rust, and oh there is an engine that requires maintenance too. No thanks!

10 berth houseboat on the Murray for 5 nights .

I've done that with 9 others out of Echuca. Had a ski boat and a tinnie towing behind. Great fun and very cheap too when divided by 10 people. And for keen water skiers, the water was always flat as it's protected from wind by the trees and river bank.

See ya's.

Back