AMP
ANZ
RIO
Lend lease
Brambles
publishing & broadcasting
coles myer
western mining corp

Ok, here's the numbers on "do not hold a top 20 stock if it falls 20%". In this case, stop is placed at 20% drop from all time high. Let's look at the widely held WOW, a recent and topical example.

High 38.92
Stop 31.13

This stock subsequently fell to $29, so maybe the stop protected capital...let's see.

Stock was acquired in 2011-12 at $25. Stop has now triggered CGT on $6.13, say 47% for top bracket and applied 50% CGT discount this leaves capital per share of $29.70, and now on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, if you had done nothing, current share price $33 and another dividend to be paid in April. I'll pass on this method of "capital protection" for long term investing. The key is picking the stocks of course, for spec stocks yeah, I'd want a stop...but I don't buy specs.

1. I did not sell WOW and in fact bought more even after knowing its troubles with Masters.
Just like if you hold a property portfolio you may have favorites which you may hold for longer, and others that you may sell after reaching a certain profit level.

2. 20% is not a magic number. Just that it need 25% growth to recover to previous level, which could be achieved in a year. If it falls 50% need 100% growth to recover. This may take few/many years. A $ today is more valuable than a $ after 10 years even if did achieve the 100% growth.

3. based on individual circumstances and your research, you may set your stop loss where you are comfortable with. When the market is moving up maybe relax your stop loss rules. When market is moving down may be tighten the stop loss gradually. Allow better ones to run for longer and keep a tighter stop for riskier ones.

4. even if you set stop loss/conditional orders some of them gets purged due to changes at ASX. Some of the stop loss orders may not work even when triggered as the price fell too fast.Also if you set it too close it will get triggered too often.

Yep, all straight forward and pretty standard stuff.

I am not clear on why you are posting asx top 15s without analysis. Can you please clarify to point you wish to make? If it is about assumed loss of capital because a name isn't in the top 15 anymore, you will need to provide some commentary by stock. As mentioned, many are acquired, taken private, broken up etc. This does not neccesarily mean loss capital for stock holders, often quite the contrary.

Yep, all straight forward and pretty standard stuff.

I am not clear on why you are posting asx top 15s without analysis. Can you please clarify to point you wish to make? If it is about assumed loss of capital because a name isn't in the top 15 anymore, you will need to provide some commentary by stock. As mentioned, many are acquired, taken private, broken up etc. This does not neccesarily mean loss capital for stock holders, often quite the contrary.

Yep, stocks can go up, down or sideways.
Indexes can go up, down or sideways (see Japan nikkei).
Regardless of what anybody say.

Geez, that's it ? Ok fair enough. I was hoping you would actually make your point with the lists provided, go stock by stock and provide present value of each of those holdings. Anyway, I don't want to be narky so will leave it at that :)

Last edited:
Thanks PB and Erko. Overall portfolio - BHP and WOW - only about 5% down so within a few whiskers of break - even. Would you guys hold on for a profit?

BHP 's ex-dividend date is coming up in about two weeks time so there should still be more upwards momentum to go in its price. Great interim result reporting today with the news of a record interim dividend payment coming. Will the current bull run end shortly?

a bit more of this and China's animal spirits will be restored and it will be time for another punt!

I think I will wait for an overall market decline before the next punt. This current punt has taken far too long and has been far too hair on end , white knuckle for me - was down 20% at one point.

I think I will wait for an overall market decline before the next punt. This current punt has taken far too long and has been far too hair on end , white knuckle for me - was down 20% at one point.

Hopefully it has been educational mate.

Thanks PB and Erko. Overall portfolio - BHP and WOW - only about 5% down so within a few whiskers of break - even. Would you guys hold on for a profit?

I hold both and am not selling either. That's not advice though...you will need to come to your own view.

If I can make a suggestion, it would be to rethink your investment process going forward. Have a clear investment case for each holding - if you don't have one, just DCA into the index. I do both. A long term, income focussed view will help. I too took an on paper dusting on WOW BHP and SVW, but each of them are only 4-5% portfolio holdings. I had no intention of selling them. When these stocks were going south, MFG, ELD and my US holdings were soaring, and the rest of the portfolio was chugging along nicely. I took the opportunity to pick up a pile of VAS when the ASX hit the wall in October and then jumped on STO and WPL when Energy tanked, and CWN when it was getting caned at $12. My gross return Mar 14-Feb 15 is tracking around 17% including about 4% div FF (grossed up 5.7%). Now just waiting on more divs to roll in, and more capital to hit my account for the next opportunity....if nothing stands out, i'll just go to the old standbys, VAS/VTS until something does. I am just accumulating month by month, year by year.....always grabbing more and compounding :)

Last edited:
Hopefully it has been educational mate.

I hold both and am not selling either. That's not advice though...you will need to come to your own view.

If I can make a suggestion, it would be to rethink your investment process going forward. Have a clear investment case for each holding - if you don't have one, just DCA into the index. I do both. A long term, income focussed view will help. I too took an on paper dusting on WOW BHP and SVW, but each of them are only 4-5% portfolio holdings. I had no intention of selling them. When these stocks were going south, MFG, ELD and my US holdings were soaring, and the rest of the portfolio was chugging along nicely. I took the opportunity to pick up a pile of VAS when the ASX hit the wall in October and then jumped on STO and WPL when Energy tanked, and CWN when it was getting caned at $12. My gross return Mar 14-Feb 15 is tracking around 17% including about 4% div FF (grossed up 5.7%). Now just waiting on more divs to roll in, and more capital to hit my account for the next opportunity....if nothing stands out, i'll just go to the old standbys, VAS/VTS until something does. I am just accumulating month by month, year by year.....always grabbing more and compounding :)

Sounds good. Will keep in touch going forward. Looking forward to entering VAS / VTS

Geez, that's it ? Ok fair enough. I was hoping you would actually make your point with the lists provided, go stock by stock and provide present value of each of those holdings. Anyway, I don't want to be narky so will leave it at that :)
Well I get something out of those lists. They are the top shares by market cap at that time, which means they were at least reasonable companies back in the day. However, the fact that some no longer exist for whatever reason reinforces the idea that shares in reasonable companies are simple set and forget purchases. They will require ongoing monitoring and decision may need to be made at some point. How much monitoring is unknown. I know that's obvious for some people but some of us don't know too much about share investing at all.

I think you mean to say that shares in reasonable companies are not set and forget investments, and the list reinforces that.

Which it does not as previously pointed out. Far more work needs to be done on each of those holdings to draw any conclusion. Refer nifty fifty as an example.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating never selling anything, I have exit points for a lot of positions myself, and am always looking at my portfolio ..just that buy and hold does work over the long, and very long term.

Refer the "ghost ship"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304199804577477131145378546

Today I purchased a small parcel of BHP @ $27.30.

My reasoning:

Most recent dividend was USD$0.62c. If we keep that base for 2015 (Interim and Final) and the AUD stays around the 80c mark, gives us a forward dividend of $1.55ish.

($1.55/$27.30) x 100 = 5.67% FF.

Investors havent enjoyed a dividend yield like this in 15yrs.

I could be right, I could be completely wrong - but for now, thats my uneducated insight.

pinkboy

So.....what do I win? :D

pinkboy :cool:

Franked divis? :)

Next year we should have an ASF style annual stock picking comp, 5 only based on 31/12/15 close to 31/12/16 close for fun.

My gross return Mar 14-Feb 15 is tracking around 17% including about 4% div FF (grossed up 5.7%). Now just waiting on more divs to roll in, and more capital to hit my account for the next opportunity....if nothing stands out, i'll just go to the old standbys, VAS/VTS until something does. I am just accumulating month by month, year by year.....always grabbing more and compounding :)

^^ This is what I am doing too (minus the VAS/VTS). Just waiting on the divs to roll in, so I can just keep adding to my holdings.

I have every pay date, amount to be paid etc all mapped out and know exactly how much will hit my account and when. It works really well to know you can get the divs in, then buy more of another share and get it's divs too, and so on and so on. Im making the most I can this year as this will be majority of my funds next year.

Hindsight says I should have been doing this the last 10years, but then I would be without the property I have today.

Only been purchasing shares for 1 year this week. Bring on the rest of the year I say!

pinkboy

The only problem is my capital inflows aside from divs are lumpy. I get like 150k in private company divs towards the end of the year, and the odd 10-20k at times throughout the year. I don't tend to sit on capital, when it comes in it buys stocks :) this is my problem but also means I keep pushing for more business income to buy more stocks again. There have been times when stocks I wanted were in the zone but I didn't have capital available...they will come around again though.

Back