High Yielding Shares Again

So which half does better for you? The ETFs or the direct shares? Because if you find that one or the other does better for you over the years is it not logical then to focus all the resources on the winner?

It's a very long game China.....will let you know in 30 years.

So which half does better for you? The ETFs or the direct shares? Because if you find that one or the other does better for you over the years is it not logical then to focus all the resources on the winner?

No, because some years some will do better than others, but as it's cyclical you won't know in advance which are going to outperform. And those that do, don't do it consistently over very long time frames

This chart from vanguard illustrates it better:

https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/adviser/tools/adv/assetclass/AssetClassTool.jsp

1. Individual stocks can lose in one day what the index might lose in a year
2. Individual stocks can make in one day what the index might make in a year

Buying individual stocks gives you the chance to get the highest returns, but also a risk of the largest losses. With an index tracking fund you won't get the highest nor the lowest returns

No - because things generally go in cycles. While some become super cycles, most out performance of a company / sector / strategy is generally followed by under performance purely for the fact that there is less upside left.

Of course there are notable exceptions to this rule but the generality still stands.

This is why index investing works - you are buying tomorrow's big winners alongside the losers so it all evens out in the wash. If you could predict the big winners with any accuracy that would be a better option but the number of people who can consistently do this is tiny and there is no certainty that they weren't just the lucky ones who were able to step over everyone else as a result.

I suggest having a read of "A Random Walk down Wall St" to get a better handle on the powers of prediction and randomness.

No - because things generally go in cycles. While some become super cycles, most out performance of a company / sector / strategy is generally followed by under performance purely for the fact that there is less upside left.

Of course there are notable exceptions to this rule but the generality still stands.

This is why index investing works - you are buying tomorrow's big winners alongside the losers so it all evens out in the wash. If you could predict the big winners with any accuracy that would be a better option but the number of people who can consistently do this is tiny and there is no certainty that they weren't just the lucky ones who were able to step over everyone else as a result.

I suggest having a read of "A Random Walk down Wall St" to get a better handle on the powers of prediction and randomness.

+1

Just look at recent winners from the GFC. People like John Paulson who made a fortune betting against subprime loans and then betting heavily on Gold are now running funds at heavy losses.

What does this say? Was there an element of luck involved in their bets since they can't seem to keep repeating their winning bets consistently? I will let you be the judge.

Cheers,
Oracle.

1. Individual stocks can lose in one day what the index might lose in a year
2. Individual stocks can make in one day what the index might make in a year

Buying individual stocks gives you the chance to get the highest returns, but also a risk of the largest losses. With an index tracking fund you won't get the highest nor the lowest returns

totally agree.

And with individual stocks you need to pay the most attention to those individual stocks which might interfere with your day job.

Thank you for all the responses regarding ETFs vs. individual stocks. I am certain that in the next dip, I will be adding ETFs to my holdings. VAS and VHY.

I think you will get plenty of chances to do so. After a prolonged period of complacency, volatility has been predicted as the new norm over the coming months.

At today's closing prices, I am feeling the love again.

Anz (I know you're invested in) and Nab faired well going ex - dividend today. Wow and Bhp were good climbers too. Hold out for some profit, then get into a plan where you compound without worrying about price action.

pinkboy

At today's closing prices, I am feeling the love again.

You have entered a marathon by investing in blue chip stocks, not a sprint. There is no need to evaluate performance after each single step you take. Wait until the mile markers (big dips or rises) at least.

Anz (I know you're invested in) and Nab faired well going ex - dividend today. Wow and Bhp were good climbers too. Hold out for some profit, then get into a plan where you compound without worrying about price action.

pinkboy

Characters................

Not dissimilar to people checking out surf reports, cricket scores hourly, horse race results, soccer scores, Facebook profiles - I just like checking out stock prices.

Its different to those things because those are all one off occurrences. You need to have faith in long term compounding growth if you want wealth.

There's nothing wrong with checking stock prices frequently. The only problem with it is if you are prone to get strong urges to react (buy or sell) to the daily price fluctuations.

Dca

Just set up DCA again.

$6k/month into the high yield Australian share index fund and $3K/month into the Australian commercial property index fund.

Set and forget for the next 3 years and if I have the courage buy more if either fund dips significantly.

Not dissimilar to people checking out surf reports, cricket scores hourly, horse race results, soccer scores, Facebook profiles - I just like checking out stock prices.

That's the realistic way to look at things- because if everything is predictive as some think,and periodically you get the sharp quick pullbacks then you see them before they happen,because large deviations happen every week just work out your own trading style some in the media internet print are considered geniuses with the highest levels of academia and still get it wrong every time..

Back