High Yielding Shares Again

I think I will try holding a small parcel of VAS longer term - simply because that seems to be the recommendation of many people both on this forum and elsewhere.

China, I would even be cautious with this. I would never drop in half a mill at one time. What suited my risk profile was DCA over a long period of time (since 2004). I also invest with money I can afford to lose due to a high income. I also invest predominantly for yield and am not relying on capital growth to fund my lifestyle although when it happens I certainly don't lose any sleep!

Don't do anything stupid with your hard earned.

Why don't you just leverage a bit into an IP like everyone else?

It can be a rinse and repeat process but you need to set stop losses. You can't and won't be successful on every trade but you need to make sure that the losses on the unsucessful ones are minimised.

China, I would even be cautious with this. I would never drop in half a mill at one time. What suited my risk profile was DCA over a long period of time (since 2004). I also invest with money I can afford to lose due to a high income. I also invest predominantly for yield and am not relying on capital growth to fund my lifestyle although when it happens I certainly don't lose any sleep!

Don't do anything stupid with your hard earned.

Why don't you just leverage a bit into an IP like everyone else?

I am continuing my search for a good comm IP. However, I would like to build up a share portfolio to the extent that the income from the share portfolio can service vacancy for the IP. I will probably work for another five to six years wherein there will be active income but after that I dont want any risks that could arise from comm IP vacancy and jeopardise my departure from active work.

I am continuing my search for a good comm IP. However, I would like to build up a share portfolio to the extent that the income from the share portfolio can service vacancy for the IP. I will probably work for another five to six years wherein there will be active income but after that I dont want any risks that could arise from comm IP vacancy and jeopardise my departure from active work.

China, I sense that you are flitting between a variety of strategies. Why not do what many on here have done. Buy a couple of IP's (maybe even lower range com IP's) and ensure that you have the down side covered. Gradually invest in shares - do it a step at a time, not all at once!

Building sustainable wealth takes time.

You may like to find a mentor (ie a successful investor) as well. Someone you can trust to run your ideas through.

Regards Jason.

I would like to think that I am refining my strategies all the time and hope to learn from trades gone wrong. The current problem with the large BHP holding has certainly caused me much angst and provoked thought. It is particularly disturbing because I had bought into the previous dips over the past year on a technical signal and had been successful. It goes to show that succesful trading and shares are not a rinse and repeat process.

Don't you think without having a sound proof strategy in place which has gone through the test of time it was bad idea to put half million dollars into something?

Don't assume you have an edge in the market just because you have beaten it in the short term. Anybody can do it..it could be just pure luck than skills. There are people who do this for a living with much much higher budgets and resources and they still fail to beat the market over the long term.

So IMHO unless you are absolutely 110% sure about you knowing something that the market does not know (everybody has access to the same charts you are looking at along with all the technical indicators) don't put large sums of money otherwise there is every possibility you will end up losing a lot over longer term period.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hi China,

Why not several commercial IPs? Why only one?

I haven't bought commercial yet but my thoughts were that several would be safer from a vacancy and risk/diversification perspective...

Do you get better yield with more money down into a single large CIP?

Is it time to start buying???

If you're following what seems to be the most consistent advice from the thread (to my eyes), which is to gradually purchase / DCA your way in to Vanguard index / managed funds, then I think the best time to start buying is "now".

The assumption being that as you are holding for long term, and mainly looking to provide better income than a bank product, any time will be good, even if there's temporary downturn, as long as you are dollar cost averaging, it will still provide income and eventually (5-10 year horizon) rise.

I'm summarising this because that's essentially the takehome message I got from reading it.

If you're following what seems to be the most consistent advice from the thread (to my eyes), which is to gradually purchase / DCA your way in to Vanguard index / managed funds, then I think the best time to start buying is "now".

The assumption being that as you are holding for long term, and mainly looking to provide better income than a bank product, any time will be good, even if there's temporary downturn, as long as you are dollar cost averaging, it will still provide income and eventually (5-10 year horizon) rise.

I'm summarising this because that's essentially the takehome message I got from reading it.

Good one TV!

Back