Help Should I use a Quantity Surveyor first IP

Hi all,

I just purchased my property last year and stumbled onto this forum and Rental depreciation.

I have been reading up quite a bit and decided to find out when my IP was built. While I'm quite new to this I think I work out with the assistance of the lady at the counter that it was built in 16th July 1986.

which means I can claim Building depreciation at 4% for 25 years, after doing some calculations I only have 1 year to claim.

I'm just trying to work out if its worth it, the kitchen is pretty ancient, we recently brought a new oven (Previous owner parents) 1 year ago, installed some spit system air-cons would be about 3 years old and I have just fixed my above spa pool totaling around 1g.

Advice is much appreciated, I think this site is great and have learn so much in the past week

I'd do one even with only one year to go ... mine only cost a few hundred dollars so worth the investment for the return! The cost is a tax deduction anyway, so what have you got to lose?

Definataly worth it, that 1 year will most likely pay for the cost of the report, than you will get the claim for the other items for a few years more!

Definitely worth it. Do ask around a few different companies, but I found Scott (who posts as "Depreciator" on the forums) was very helpful. Might help to give him a buzz.

I have a 1971-built property, moderately renovated in 2001, that I had a QS report done for - was absolutely worth it. Gives me 1000s of depreciable dollars every year.

took over a IP in late december did a QS last month could not beleive the savings on my tax
IP built in 2003 with a furniture package.

Back