Grant to move regionally

I wonder what the 1500 'public sector' jobs they are wanting to relocate to regional NSW are? :confused: Obviously not from frontline jobs with the RTA/Maritime, BDM (now part of 'Service NSW') electricity workers, corrective services staff (O'Farrell closed most of Grafton Gaol), etc - I know people working in these areas from regional NSW towns who have taken redundancy and say that more staff are to be slashed.

I wonder what the 1500 'public sector' jobs they are wanting to relocate to regional NSW are?

Many regional areas are desperate for public sector staff and it's not always just in very remote places.

A couple of years ago I stayed with friends for a couple of nights who were holidaying at a high population seaside holiday location 1.5 hours from Adelaide and through them met their friend who was working there as the hospital director for the hospital and regional services.

He told me they had been without a community mental health nurse in the district for 2 years. He tried to entice me with the job with no luck and then asked me to spread the word of the vacancy to others.

A year later I followed it up with someone that is involved with some of this type of staffing and they told me that not only had the position not been filled many others remained unfilled long term as well.

That's just one type of health in one location. There are many more locations and types of staff - outside of health - that are required outside of cities.

If my business wasnt firmly entrenced in Sydney I would move to a regional area on 20-50 acres in a heartbeat

That's just one type of health in one location. There are many more locations and types of staff - outside of health - that are required outside of cities.

I live in regional NSW and I have no doubt that many types of staff within health and other industries/organisations are required here. That's why it angers me when I hear of NSW Premier O'Farrell making frontline public sector staff from various departments in regional areas redundant (although I admit that, despite hospitals being closed, I don't know any health staff being made redundant).

Many regional areas are desperate for public sector staff and it's not always just in very remote places.

A couple of years ago I stayed with friends for a couple of nights who were holidaying at a high population seaside holiday location 1.5 hours from Adelaide and through them met their friend who was working there as the hospital director for the hospital and regional services.

He told me they had been without a community mental health nurse in the district for 2 years. He tried to entice me with the job with no luck and then asked me to spread the word of the vacancy to others.

A year later I followed it up with someone that is involved with some of this type of staffing and they told me that not only had the position not been filled many others remained unfilled long term as well.

This is a pretty common story for regional healthcare. Big big scholarships for doctors who commit to spending time once qualified in remote locations.

Where I live the doctors get paid obscene amounts (the ones who work at the hospital) - simply because the alternative is having no doctor on call (which is difficult at a hospital!). Most of the doctors come up for a few weeks at a time then head back to a capital city (ps please lets not turn this into a dr salary thread...).

Getting the skills out into regional areas has always been difficult. If they can entice the labour into the country for administration centres, it works out much cheaper for the government.

I live in regional NSW and I have no doubt that many types of staff within health and other industries/organisations are required here. That's why it angers me when I hear of NSW Premier O'Farrell making frontline public sector staff from various departments in regional areas redundant (although I admit that, despite hospitals being closed, I don't know any health staff being made redundant).

I was probably referring more to the smaller towns, rather than the large regional ones with large populations.

I wasn't commenting specifically about what's happening in NSW either.

Again on SA... I know my organization recently cut jobs in health but they were those in middle management and and those not directly involved with patient care - so no significant impact if any on patient services.

All of these redundant positions did not necessarily mean the people in these jobs lost their job either. They were offered redundancies and those who didn't accept were offered other vacating positions on the same pay regardless of the position accepted - level and pay remained the same.

Most redundencies in the SA public service are like this or through attrition..

Back