Granny Flats and Section 94 Contributions Explained

Is there a S94 contribution in Wyong council area?

Also, should the contribution apply if the granny flat is "attached" - an existing house is split by the wall into 2 parts for 2 tenants?

Thanks!

Also, should the contribution apply if the granny flat is "attached" - an existing house is split by the wall into 2 parts for 2 tenants?

Thanks!

Can someone, please, help with either or both questions?
Cheers,
Sahi

Thanks!

Hi Sahi,

Question 1: I dont know. Best way to find out is to call them and ask whether it applies to granny flats AND if so, is there a cutoff (if the cost of works, for example, is under $100,000).

Question 2: Generally, ATTACHED GRANNY FLATS are exempt; but again it's best to call them and ask.

Wyong Council Section 94 Contributions

Here it is from the horse's mouth, email received from Wyong Council today:

As discussed, Section 94 contributions are applicable to Complying Development Certificates and Development Applications issued for secondary dwellings (such as granny flats), as defined under the Affordable Housing SEPP.

Secondary dwellings (granny flats) are considered by the Department of Planning to create an additional demand on the essential works required to support future development. As a consequence, Section 94 contributions within certain districts will be applied in granting Complying Development Certificates and Development Applications for granny flats under the SEPP.

Section 94 contributions for Complying Developments for secondary dwellings are currently not applicable to the contribution districts of Toukley, The Entrance, Wyong and Warnervale/Wadalba, but these areas will be revised to include this requirement when each of these specific contribution plans are reviewed. However, the requirement does apply to Development Applications for secondary dwellings in these 4 areas, as in all other areas within Wyong Shire.

I reiterate that Council has recently commenced work on an Affordable Housing Strategy.

So, there are 4 areas of the Wyong council that are exemp (still - although this will come under review).

Better news from Gosford council below

Thanks for posting that up brazen.

I can confirm that Kogarah City Council does not require Section 94 contributions for development consents issued in relation to secondary dwellings/extended family units.

do the contributions vary based on what is being put in? some old places have an outside toilet. What if you built a new gf around that? would the contributions be less cos there is no change to sewer arrangements onsite?

do the contributions vary based on what is being put in? some old places have an outside toilet. What if you built a new gf around that? would the contributions be less cos there is no change to sewer arrangements onsite?

I'm not an expert, but I perceive that the answer would be no. The contributions don't really have anything to do with the sewer arrangements onsite. I believe it is a charge to help Council with infrastructure due to more people living in the area. :rolleyes:

The contributions don't really have anything to do with the sewer arrangements onsite. I believe it is a charge to help Council with infrastructure due to more people living in the area. :rolleyes:

^ ^ ^ what she said.

From one council's website (Wyong in this instance, but they're all operating under the same Act): http://www.wyong.nsw.gov.au/building-and-development/development-contributions---section-94/

Section 94 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, allows Council to charge contributions on Developers for public infrastructure necessary as a consequence of new development. Contributions may be in the form of cash payments, transfer or dedication of land to Council, or the provision of a material of public benefit (generally known as works in kind).

Here it is from the horse's mouth, email received from Wyong Council today:

So, there are 4 areas of the Wyong council that are exemp (still - although this will come under review).

Better news from Gosford council below

I went through the process with the Wyong council and paid S94 as my property is outside of the 4 areas Alan has specified. They do not care whether the GF is attached or detatched, they do not care about construction costs. The formula used is based on a fixed amount and factor based on number of rooms in the development.

http://www.echo.net.au/newsitem/granny-flat-fees-be-waived-council

"Council voted unanimously to remove section 94 developer’s charges and section 64 sewage charges, though Councillor Basil Cameron expressed grave concerns there would be no real ‘enforcement mechanism’ to ensure granny flat rents were affordable."

It was great news Serge and my GF application was approved a few weeks ago and I have almost completed the reno which involved mainly fireproofing downstairs. Also had to reduce the downstairs area to under 60sqm by splitting bed 2 into a hall and a storeroom (non habitable). The existing area was 63sqm and, although they were willing to approve it as a GF, I would have had to pay full contributions to get it through as is. :mad:

It will cost me around 10k all up. I was looking at around 15k in contributions prior to the council decision to waive the fees.
Have attached some pics showing the Fyrchek and Fire mastic sealing of all gaps. Had 2 fire inspections passed already and should have the final inspection next week for occupancy cert.

Attachments

• 11102011693.jpg
    11102011693.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 11102011694.jpg
    11102011694.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 173
It was great news Serge and my GF application was approved a few weeks ago and I have almost completed the reno which involved mainly fireproofing downstairs. Also had to reduce the downstairs area to under 60sqm by splitting bed 2 into a hall and a storeroom (non habitable). The existing area was 63sqm and, although they were willing to approve it as a GF, I would have had to pay full contributions to get it through as is. :mad:

It will cost me around 10k all up. I was looking at around 15k in contributions prior to the council decision to waive the fees.
Have attached some pics showing the Fyrchek and Fire mastic sealing of all gaps. Had 2 fire inspections passed already and should have the final inspection next week for occupancy cert.

aaahaa! well done Rockstar :)

What was the total cost for fire-proofing the granny flat portion? Was it an existing dwelling or had you just built this? Sorry I should know your situation from previous PM's but my mind is blank atm :eek:

Oh, and is the total cost with you doing the work, or did you pay someone to do it pls?

I ask because I get a lot of people wanting me to quote for internal (attached) granny flats but as you know it depends on the geometry/layout of the house.

Cheers m8.

Hi Brazen,

I know the minimum required sqm for a granny flat is 450sqm. If you have a house with lets say 700sqm, is it possible to build 2 granny flats? Or with 1000sqm can you build 3 granny flats?

Also, do you know the section 94 laws in the Hunter Region - i.e. Muswellbrook and Newcastle.

I know the minimum required sqm for a granny flat is 450sqm. If you have a house with lets say 700sqm, is it possible to build 2 granny flats? Or with 1000sqm can you build 3 granny flats?
The answer is "No" - although I like your attitude :)
If you had 1,000m2 block and it was possible to sub-divide, then potentially you could have a house & granny flat on each block.

Also, do you know the section 94 laws in the Hunter Region - i.e. Muswellbrook and Newcastle.
Newcastle area comes under 2 x separate councils: Lake Macquarie & Newcastle itself.

Lake Macquarie does charge Section 94 contributions.
Newcastle does not charge them if the GFlat costs less than $100K.

Muswellbrook is the same as Newcastle = $0 if development is under $100K, see:
http://www.muswellbrook.nsw.gov.au/...LAN - ADOPTED COPY - EFFECTIVE 1 JAN 2010.pdf

Thanks Propertunity,

How much does subdividing cost?

All my mum's side of the family live in the Lake Macquarie region but I plan to invest in the Newcastle region - so no costs for me.

How much is it in the Lake Macquarie region - my family have heaps of land which I'd like to build on with townhouses and granny flats in the future.

Thanks Propertunity, How much does subdividing cost?
It depends......on many, many things. If everything is easy - services like water, sewer etc, then maybe $20K.

How much is it in the Lake Macquarie region - my family have heaps of land which I'd like to build on with townhouses and granny flats in the future.
I was quoted between $8K - $11K in Section 94 contributions just to be allowed to build a GFlat at the back of an existing house.

*edit* LMCC is one of the council areas that developers avoid like the plague, if they can, because they are so hard to deal with. They come across as very anti-development.

Last edited:
Back