Granny flat design - feedback pls

I have a small problem. One side of the building, where the sliding door is located, is about 0.8m under the natural land as shown in the picture. I'm going to put two steps in front of the sliding door. However, I'm not sure what I can do with the remaining 'hole'. I want to cover it up for safety reasons.

I thought of few ways to handle this..
1. Sloping the land. It doesn't work well because the slope will be too steep.
2. Place some timber sleepers - It might invite termites.
3. Placing solid concrete long flower pots against the wall and fill the rest with dirt - I'm not sure how practicals it is.

Anyone got any thoughts?

i would build a retaining wall. The studwork looks like timber, you dont want to put soil or flower pots then soil up against that. Dig some more soil away so you have a little more room then build a retaining wall with stacker stone or H4 treated sleepers with drainage behind to keep the moisture away - that is what I would do.

I agree. Retaining wall with ample drainage behind. And make sure the water can get away down past the side of the house. I would gravel between the retaining wall and the slab leaving 100mm of slab exposed for visual termite inspection. Show us a wider photo as I can't sense where the boundaries are or how the slope runs.

Do you have a contracted builder doing the work?

Thanks Rockstar & knightm.

Hopefully attached two pics shows more details. North-West corner is the highest point and then it slopes diagonally.

Yes.. I have a contracted builder doing the work. Due to certain mix up he didn't account for the cut & fill costs.

My immediate worry is the cost to build the retaining walls. They are not cheep.

I don't also want to 'cut' any more as it would reduce the land area. What should be the minimum distance between the retaining wall and the building?

Attachments

• GrannyFlatEast.jpg
    GrannyFlatEast.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 125
  • GrannyFlatNorth.jpg
    GrannyFlatNorth.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 121
Thanks Rockstar & knightm.

Hopefully attached two pics shows more details. North-West corner is the highest point and then it slopes diagonally.

Yes.. I have a contracted builder doing the work. Due to certain mix up he didn't account for the cut & fill costs.

My immediate worry is the cost to build the retaining walls. They are not cheep.

I don't also want to 'cut' any more as it would reduce the land area. What should be the minimum distance between the retaining wall and the building?

Id say a meter from the slab for access but there's no minimum legal distance.

Last edited:
Thank you all. This is my current thinking (please see the attached draft).
1. Add a retaining wall close to the fence. Say about 0.5m high.
2. Slope the remaining land towards the house and add slow growing turf (may be Empire Zoysia).
3. Add pavers where tenants would frequently walk (path way to the entrace, cloths line & outside sliding door).
4. Add weed mat and gravel in narrower areas.
5. Relocate about 4m high pine tree in front of the entrance.
6. Add small hibiscus flower trees for privacy and visuals.

Any thoughts or different ideas would be highly appreciated :)

I belive it is about two weeks away from completion. Happy to take anyone for a visit. Just PM me.

- devank

Attachments

• LandscapingV1.jpg
    LandscapingV1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 122
Looks like a good solution from what I can see. Just try and shed that water away from the slab where possible. Looks like you're up for some soil removal. Try and keep the topsoil to put back under the turf and gardens. ie: scrape off topsoil, then excavate and remove subsoil, then respread topsoil over planting areas. You will reap the rewards with healthier growth.

My builder said that it would cost extra 2.5K to remove the soil! So he is suggesting adding paver close to the house and then add sleeper retaining wall as shown in the attached pdf.

Attachments

• AvoidSoilRemoval.pdf
    8.1 KB · Views: 143
Yes, to avoid removing soil you could run a sleeper wall and step up to the outdoor paved area rather than cutting it all out to be level. I would still be gravelling next to the slab. If you pave it make sure the water can definitely get away as you don't want water in the house. Your picture scares me as there is not enough width before the sleeper wall and I don't know what that angled paver is for? Like Brazen says, you need to have it wider around the house. I would go for minimum 500mm with a good 100 - 150mm deep of gravel and subgrade sloping from high to low point so water can easily get away. If you pave it you may need a box drain to take away water during storm events. Gravel will be the cheapest option. It might be worth engaging a decent landscaper - at least for advice.

Oh man.. everything costs money! I got the first quote and it is $5900.00.

As Rockstar's suggestion, I asked the builder to replace the pavers (next to the retaining wall) with gravel. Cost came down to $5400.00.

Any other ways to reduce the cost?

I'm thinking of replacing gravel with red woodchip. At least it would look bright when it is advertised :)

Oh man.. everything costs money! I got the first quote and it is $5900.00.

As Rockstar's suggestion, I asked the builder to replace the pavers (next to the retaining wall) with gravel. Cost came down to $5400.00.

Any other ways to reduce the cost?

I'm thinking of replacing gravel with red woodchip. At least it would look bright when it is advertised :)

Hey devank,
Sheesh thats a lot. Try scoria or cowra-gold...they're a bit crunchy to walk on but I like a crunchy walkway. Another (non-crunchy) option is 'crushed granite' which can easily be laid down and packed, then hosed down to let the cement harden to a solid finish. You need the edges to be secured or raised for this option to work long-term.

P.S. 'Australian Native Landscapes' or most landscaping suppliers deliver these by the tonne.

Cheers,

Serge.

Finally (it took almost 6 months thanks to the rain) the granny flat is ready.
Few internal photos are attached.
Hopefully it will be advertised this week.

Attachments

• Sitting.jpg
    Sitting.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 201
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Bath.JPG
    Bath.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 191
Finally the landscaping job was completed yesterday. It costed me 4.5K.
Few pics are attached. Sorry.. there are taken with my phone under not much sun light.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and advice. Final product is a combination of all.

Good news is we had a open house last week. A couple with a kid moved in today :D

Attachments

• 1 path.jpg
    1 path.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 2 Turf.jpg
    2 Turf.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 3 retaining wall.jpg
    3 retaining wall.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Looks good.. personally I think you could have done with half the amount of stepping stones... (your allowed gaps between them :D)

Few pics are attached. Sorry.. there are taken with my phone under not much sun light.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and advice. Final product is a combination of all.

Good news is we had a open house last week. A couple with a kid moved in today :D

Congratilations m8 :) May they be happy tenants in their brand new granny flat.

Just to close off this thread, here are the financial details. I finally managed to put all together thanks to the 'tax time' :)

Draftsman - $3,380.0
Private certifier - $2,021.0
Builder fixed Cost - $97,668.00
Additional Soil removal - $2,146.54
Electrical Board upgrade - $2,200.0
Landscape & other - $4,612.00

Total = $112K.
Rent reduction from the main house = 500-480 = $20.00 per week
New rent from granny flat = $350 per week
Other ongoing cost = water bills = Roughly $1500.00 a year.

Well done mate. :)

So your gross return on the 112k is around 6.5%.

Any idea on what the 112k investment has added to the total property val?

So your gross return on the 112k is around 6.5%.
I'm not sure how you calculated that figure.

Before the Granny flat this property was valued 600K.

So old gross return = (500 X52 / 600,000) = 4.33%
Gross return on 112K investment = (350-20) x 52 /112,000 = 15.32 %
New gross return = (480+350)*52 / (600,000 + 112,000) = 6.06%

Net return is a different story but it is cash flow neutral now.

Now it is valued only 650K by ANZ. GF is also considered as 'extension' due to lower LVR for dual occ. Other lenders may value more though.

I have a bit of issue with the neighbour.
He asked me to replace the fence for privacy reasons. He wanted me to organise it. So I said ok. After getting 9 quotes, I got back to him with a rough price and asked if he was happy to go ahead. He called and screamed at me for not getting back sooner!

He claims that he asked 10 months ago but I know that is a lie because my 3rd son just turned 10 months old. Definitely he asked later date than that.

He claims that this new higher fence is required because of the new Granny Flat development. He claims that the land is raised and also the side walkway is now a main entrance to the granny flat.

There is no windows or doors facing his land.

I had no benefit in doing this fence apart from keeping the neighbour happy. Now, I think he wants me to pay for the whole thing.

Any thoughts?

Back