Gee Cee To Ballina /Byron Oct 08

Enough pessamism! Only LIVE ONCE.:cool:

Fly into Ballina next Month with one of my 9 yr old twin boys.
Picking up a campervan for 6 days and CRUISING. Bit of bonding time :D
I know that Byron Bay Rocks Sat night . If it is warm to Hot. (The weather not the girls):p

Any suggestions at where else to go. I was thinking Thursday night Evans Head. Fri / Sat Byron Bay then just cruising till late Tuesday arvo when we fly back to Sydney:(
Any input appreciated muchly:)

Nimbin is pretty country and a bit of an eye opener too.

Gold Coast theme parks would win any 9 yo.
I went to them expecting to hate them but despite my best efforts I quite enjoyed them.

I wouldn't have thought the big banana is worth driving 3 hrs from Byron for, the Big Prawn in Ballina is good enough.

A few things around Byron (my home town)
* Whale watching from the Cape - September they're all heading south and come quite close in these days compared to 20-30 years ago when they still remembered the whaling station.
Another good place to view is the small lookout above little wategos beach, I've seen humpbacks 200m offshore here. or there are whale watching boat tours now I believe.
* Villages: Bangalow, Channon, Nimbin, Mullum, Lennox, Brunswick Heads. Check at info centre near the Rails pub for market dates.
* Camp ground & coast walks at Broken Head are good (self contained units).
* Minyon Falls for rainforest
* Climb Mount Warning

Dosn't realy matter! try sitting on a warf with a fishing rod, best bonding time ever!
as long as you'r with them, s,pose, they just want their dad, not big bananas, or prawns, or rides, just their dad.

Enough pessamism! Only LIVE ONCE.:cool:

Fly into Ballina next Month with one of my 9 yr old twin boys.
Picking up a campervan for 6 days and CRUISING. Bit of bonding time :D
I know that Byron Bay Rocks Sat night . If it is warm to Hot. (The weather not the girls):p

Any suggestions at where else to go. I was thinking Thursday night Evans Head. Fri / Sat Byron Bay then just cruising till late Tuesday arvo when we fly back to Sydney:(
Any input appreciated muchly:)
Gee-Gee,Uki and the road back to Nimbin is worth the drive,have alook around MT Warning National Park it's been a while since i have climbed MT Warning but when i took my Wife and Daughters up to the top was a special day for us and from the top you can see as far as your eyesight can allow,,The Channon Markets every second sunday is in the area about 45 minutes drive from Uki is like going back in time into the 1970,s nothing wrong with Nimbin good food and people,the Nimbin Hotel
front Bar is an eye opener i always find some interesting people to talk
too there in Nimbin..good luck willair..

Mt Warning is quite a physical 2.5 - 3 hr climb up a winding track that rises 1156m. The last 100m or so is almost vertical (you pull yourself up a chain). I've done it twice before dawn to see the sunrise and as spectacular as the view is, I wouldn't recommend it for 9 year olds unless they can stick with a physical task for several hours. If you do have a go, take lots of water (it is hot in the rainforest) and also food to eat when on the summit.

Whenever I visit the area (quite regularly) I always visit nimbin and spend up at the Nimbin Artists Gallery. I have a fairly open mind about many things and have been offered drugs there more time than I care to remember (once I had not yet even got out of my car). You will likely see drunk people (regardless of the time of day) and seeing people pulling cones in broad daylight is also not out of the question (seen that). Again, with 9 year olds??? Otoh, if you want to put them off drink and dope forever - do it!

In regards to Ballina and the immediate surrounds:

• My fave Ballina breakfast is at Shelly's on the Beach Cafe. Near the surfclub @ East Ballina
  • Ballina Maritime Museum is a must-see. Inside, among many other things, is a full raft from the 1973 Las Balsas Expedition [longest raft voyage in history from Sth America to Australia, almost twice as long as the famed "Kon Tiki" expedition)
  • If you and your boys fancy a round of golf - Teven Valley Golf Course. Very picturesque - 9 greens / 18 tees.
  • great walks around town by the river, north creek, and north wall. The north wall walk is lit and very good at night
  • Raamons = great pizza (just down from RSL)
  • Mexican Del Rio = great mexican food (just down from Raamons)

Willair has mentioned The Channon Markets. I think you should really try to get to them (or to the Byron Shire Markets). There is nothing like a real hippie market (and those two are the best).

Kings Beach is my favourite beach.......just south of Broken head........cossies are optional :eek:.

My misses prefers Brunswick Heads......nice fish & chips there.

Protestors Falls is a special place and Minyon too.

Channon markets are excellent......... but don't inhale.;) The pub there is also nice and very quiet most of the time.

cheers

dm

I'm picking up my daughter and SIL at Coolangatta and we're all going down to Byron to stay for 3 nights in November.so I'll take some notes, thanks everyone. Any other options for cheap accommodation in Byron, everything seems to be very expensive with 3-5 night minimums. I will check out the caravan cabins mentioned. Theme parks, I took my son, fiancee and her child to Dreamworld/Whitewater world expecting just to help out, ended up going on the Mick Doohan ride, the giant drop and the tower of terror. Absolutely mind blowing - didnt know I could swear and scream so much. Oh well, you have to push the envelope.

Dosn't realy matter! try sitting on a warf with a fishing rod, best bonding time ever!
as long as you'r with them, s,pose, they just want their dad, not big bananas, or prawns, or rides, just their dad.

Spot on!

I took my 7 year old son out to learn how to paddle on the wave ski on the Bay two days ago.

The Bay was as flat as a bath, crystal clear (a little cold) warm sunny day.

We had a ball. And absolutely free.

Some more stuff to try.....though there might be age limits....

if you are going to hang glide anywhere in Australia, may as well be Byron. I did a tandem there a couple of years ago.....amazing stuff floating above the cape and landing on the beach.

same for joy flights from Tyagorah airstrip. think there is a range of Tiger Moths etc that will take you for a few loops over the Bay.

kayak and snorkel tours out to the rocks off the bay.

bangalow markets are interesting. there was a guy there a while back who had this climbing frame that had $50 at the top, which was yours if you could get to it. brilliant little earner as he had a queue of kids and oldies paying to try it.

learn to surf classes at Byron. very popular with the Scandinavian backpackers ;)

same for learn to windsurf classes.

Be prepared to pay double for everything around Byron. just the way it is.

Mt Warning is fantastic and well worth the hike, getting up can take anywhere from 38minutes to a few hours depending on your fitness. Doable with kids (always see families up the top and when climbing), definetly pack food and drink though.

If you go to Nimbin - go to the bakery (on one side of the pedestrian crosing) - beats any bakery I've tried in Sydney or Melbourne (and all their stuff is straight so no need to worry), no matter whether you want a pie or baked cheesecake, or lemon tart. All brilliant.

Mt Jerusalem national park is also a lot of fun for hiking - often over looked, we only discovered it when we got lost driving between wedding photo locations, easy to access from the back of Uki.

Mooball cafe (if its still open after relocation of highway) is also a good laugh and does good food (chicken snitzel burger and mango ice tea especially).

Suggestions if you have the money...

Thursday...
Call in Tourist Information Office for maps
Museum - agree good
Waterslide may be operating at Ballina (only a little one but can wear the boys out) leave for later in day.
Fish park at Ballina - rods supplied in price
Big Prawn
Ferry across to South Ballina Beach - continue onto
Amazingplace - Wardell Road Alstonville (Big maze to walk around and cafe, personally haven't been but it won a tourist award)
Evans is a quiet town until holidays (surf beach & river) can stay at Silversands Caravan Park

My husband thinks Shaws Bay Caravan Park at Ballina would have more things for kids to do eg play in sand, fish, walk out the end of the wall, watch boats, swim in Shaws bay (note water gets deep quickly). You can sit at back of Shaws Bay Hotel & watch kids. {amenties block may be basic unless they have upgraded but kids shouldn't care}

Friday & Saturday
You could drive to Byron Bay via Nimbin (hmmmm if you wish to give your children a lesson on why not to take drugs Nimbin could be a good place to visit and I suppose all Australians should visit Nimbin).

First Sun Caravan Park is in town on main beach at Byron
Clark Beach Caravan Park (Half way between main beach & the pass)
You will need to book either of these parks now.
Lighthouse walk - actually lots of walks to do in and around Byron.
Kayaking with the dolphins
Lighthouse
Lots to do in Byron big back packer community (lock everything up)

Sunday/Monday/Tuesday
I would head up to the Gold Coast with the kids and take in 2 theme parks -Dreamworld, Seaworld, Wet n wild or Movieworld [usually you can get a cheap deal if going to 2 parks, maybe able to buy cheaper tickets via NRMA etc. I haven't been to the parks for years.
Outback Spectacular is apparently good (meal & horse riding show at night).

(Coffs Harbour is too far away & not that great IMHO).

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Incredible Posts and information on holiday. Thanks

WOW!
I would like to thank Everyone that has responded to my holiday post. So much info. This trip we have a campervan. And yes will just concentrate on the villages / markets / national parks and /Pubs. As well as just having a good time :

My boys have been flying around Aus since they were 2 yrs old.
( The first trip was quite a few years back, GO ANNA picked us up from the city and gave us the full guided tour all around Melb & areas) Great Day!
Since then each boy has been taken out of school a couple of times a year to travel with their dad . Over that time we look at property, do basic talks on life. And just sort of cruise the beach or country side. When you get home You feel Soo Refreshed. :)
I never really had any time with my father. He was either at work, Asleep or at the pub.

Guess that is why I feel the few years as a dad to bubs then boys / Young Men really needs to be special :D

Gee Cee
Greg

What ever you do don't eat at the big prawn - the food tastes like that prawn looks!

My family lives in Woodburn (30km south towards Evans Head) and the locals (and truckies) know that the food is not that crash hot!

Also warning - be very careful driving at night on the main highways as trucks fly through there and are ruthless to drivers in cars! They are pushy and will tailgate very close trying to force you to drive faster, becareful some turns can be very hard especially with trailer on! Also the area is notirious for having speed camera's everywhere, so best bet to take it slow!!

Great time

Thanks to everyone that posted information. We picked up our campervan in Ballina. Spent the first night at Evans Heads and hit the bowlo for tea. Only a 100metre walk from the caravan park. So could have a couple of drinks.
Next day headed up into the mountains , through Lismore and on to Nimbin for lunch.
(Can still smell the fresh air:D) Drove all around the mountains and checked out a lovely dam & picnic area. Then more driving across mountains to Byron Bay. Stayed right on the beach at Byron Bay just behind the pool in a lovely caravan park that has just been re-furbished. Close to the pub & town area. Place was rocking Friday and Sat nights. Weather perfect. Did the big walk from town up to lighthouse and back. Certainly tired out the 9 year old & me as well.
Next day checked out Tyagarah airstrip and the beach just east of there.
" Hey" No one told me it was a nudies beach :p Anyway will make good news item for school :eek:
On to Kingscliffe for the night.
Next day took the new Tugan bypass up to Mt Gravatt then back to Gold Coast via eastern backroads and on to Coolangatta. Surfers was very busy as cleaning up after Indy weekend.
Last day met Rockstar and checked out his development.
Then flew back late to Sydney. Home to the boss.
Great time had:)
Now for Tassie early in 2009.

Gee Cee

Beach Bum

Next day headed up into the mountains , through Lismore and on to Nimbin for lunch.
(Can still smell the fresh air:D) Drove all around the mountains and checked out a lovely dam & picnic area.
Now for Tassie early in 2009.

Gee Cee

Beach Bum

Glad you had a good time CC. That probably would have been Rocky Creek Dam you went to......it's lovely there isn't it. You would have driven right by our place on your way.

We're off to Tassie too in January.......figure it's the best time temperature wise......less shock for us Northerners.

dm

Thats the dam. Lovely spot and so well maintained. Did not realise we could get across from Nimbin to the coast over the mountains. A guy at Nimbin tourist bureau gave us a map. :)

Gee Cee

Greg

Back