Frustration -Granite benchtop ruined

hi skater? where did you get the el cheapo granite? i was looking to put granite or lookalike in a unit i'm doing for tenants but after reading all that, i'm wondering whether to just stick with plain old robust laminex? but if you have a cheapo one that doesn't have to be nurtured, i'll look at that.

It came as a package with the kitchen. Bought from a place here in Sydney that sells them to renovators & developers. Very cheap kitchen that you install yourself. Looks lovely!

No worries then, since I don't drink vodka.:D

Yep, you should be fine then! :p

Actually, I dont either but the hubby tends to splash it (lemon juice) around a bit, which is how I found out it creates the problem! And why we should never use the citrus based cleaners on it.

Yep, you should be fine then! :p

Actually, I dont either but the hubby tends to splash it (lemon juice) around a bit, which is how I found out it creates the problem! And why we should never use the citrus based cleaners on it.

That's interesting because I'm sure I've spilt citrus on mine too. Like I said, it gets treated rough.:eek:

Word back from the supplier is that it was some kind of vinegar / acidic based solvent.

He can supply some sort of product which will penetrate and hopefully mask the stain / bleach mark

He indicated that spillage which is cleaned up in a timely fashion is not a big problem but where it is then left for a time (overnight) you will get this sort of problem.

The reason we started installing granite tops was because the laminate tops were being damaged with hot pans, water etc:( Seems I am no better off using the granite:mad:. I guess the common element is tenants!!!

Cheers

Reading through this thread I am starting to really like my laminex benchtops again.

OK, I always liked them, I could never justify granite or the epoxy mixes even when I thought they were indestructible.

Now, I definitely cant.

Dave

Reading through this thread I am starting to really like my laminex benchtops again.
I'm with you, Dave. I like quality things and pay extra for all sorts of other fittings in my house, but I don't get the appeal of stone benchtops. I probably have the cheapest benchtop in my suburb - and I'm happy with it. :) I may "upgrade" to stone if we ever sell, because people "expect" it in our area, but I don't understand why people like stone so much.

Edit: Actually, I love my PIZZA stone. Was feeling very hungry and just made a pizza for lunch on it... mmmmmm yum

OK, I always liked them, I could never justify granite or the epoxy mixes even when I thought they were indestructible.

Now, I definitely cant.

Dave

Am with you there BB - we asked around at several kitchen & bench places, as well as friends & workmates and in the end decided laminex was they way to go for us too because of our lifestyle basically.

We do a LOT of entertaining and dont always remain um 'focussed' (theres the pesky vodka again) at all times & didnt want the hassle of watching out for hot stuff, water, cleaning fluids etc on the benches. Have had a few 'events' on the laminex & all good with no marks or scratches.

Cheers
Stella

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I work at a company that deals with natural stone - we don't do bench tops but, at the end of the day, it's the same stone, just different applications.

Granite bench tops are definitely more resilient than laminex bench tops but they really do need to be looked after.

To the OP, I would be surprised if you can truly disguise the 'bleaching' your tenants have left on your bench but anything is worth a shot. If you can hide it then I would suggest looking in to some heavy duty sealers which should help prevent things like that effecting the stone in the future.

I know a couple that tried to clean their granite bench top with one of the 'Easy Off Bam' detergents and, due to the acidic contents, it ate away at some of the underlying minerals in the stone.

Something to keep in mind is that, while granite is a very dense material, it's also made up of natural minerals and each of them can be effected in different ways.

Hopefully this hasn't put anyone off installing granite bench tops in their properties though. As long as the stone is sealed and looked after it should, literally, last a life time.

Y-Man, are you talking about the little 50x50mm tiles, or smaller?

I'd be interested to hear about what you think about these. Why did you decide to go with tiles?

Our tiles are like 20cm X 20 cm.

Can't imagine going with amything small - too much grout to clean. As it is, you just bung bleach on the splashback and bench top in one hit....

Why? I didn't do it! I promise! :p It was built that way by the people we bought the house off. :)

Attachments

• DSC02751.jpg
    DSC02751.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 111
I had a similar one on my granite benchtop - not sure whether mine is real granite or el cheapo, but the marks are similar!

In my case it's caused by George Foreman steamer being used for 2 weeks every night to cook dinner. Oh the shock and horror when I lift it to clean the benchtop :mad:. I think it's caused by the trapped heat + water residue.

Good thing is I managed to get rid of it with glass cooktop cleaner (the black glass one). You can get them in supermarkets. It's not perfectly gone (about 90%) but it's only noticable under strong light.

Thanks for all the info, I guess I always thought of granite as a safe easy care product. Didn't even think about acidic cleaners etc damaging it.

I've seen plenty of burn marks on timber and laminex tops, how good are the man made materials?

Has anyone had problems with other expensive bench tops?

cheers
Graeme

Back