front and side fence issue

Hi all

I will like some advice in regards to my situation - front fence which encompass front and side fence (1.2m high) which connects to my garage wall.

Not sure if I'm explaining correctly but here is an example-
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-underdale-111305375 - THIS IS AN EXAMPLE ONLY - the 1st picture on the right (wooden slates) to garage pillar.

My neighbour on my left has just recently done his and wishes to seek payment for the common side fence with me. As part of the development for this estate, a front fence is required as part of the look.

The problem is my neighbour did not serve the form 1 to me, never provided any quotes to me or discussed the matter - the main thing is there was no consultation. The tradies just rocked up and finished the job - basically dig a foundation for the front fence and 4 pillars (blue board) with wooden slates.

For the side, the 1st pillar connected to steel posts (the ones used to hold the good neighbour) fences, holes been dug using post hole digger and wooden slates.

I'm disputing the amount being requested required ($800) for the side fence partly the materials used as compared to my side fence constructed with neighbour on right (foundation dug, bessa blocks and precast pillars, powdercoated alumn tubes though built in 08) was around $1400.

Any advice?

Cheers
Irawin

Seems like they are trying to trick you.

As far as I know, the most you have to pay for a common fence is for the rate of a timber paling fence.

If they have not discussed anything with you about the design, construction materials, how much you are willing to contribute, then don't pay anything.

Does the estate have rules on what type of fence you are allowed to put in?
Did your other neighbour pay half of your costs when you put the right side fence in?

Ask them for the quotes they got before getting the job done.

Hi
The job is already done!

The materials used is fine by the development. What gets me is the lack of communication, no quotes to look at, what materials been used, the look and the cost!

Neighbour on right paid half and was happy to do so as I provided all details and discussed abt cost.

If they didn't issue you a notice to fence, and give you quotes and have already started (or finished) the job, you are not required to pay anything (in Qld).

This happened to us. I have tried to search to find a recent post I made about this, but cannot find it.

We had this happen with an IP. We sought free legal advice and were told we had no need to pay one cent as the neighbours had already started, had not issued the notice, not given us quotes. We would have been happy to pay our half of a standard fence had they asked us before building their Rolls Royce expensive fence (and asking us for half).

We paid them half the cost for a chainwire fence to match the other three fences around our house. They were not happy, but we wanted to do the right thing. They told us they would stymie any future development plan but they cannot stop any development that falls within the BCC rules, so that just amused us more than worried us.

If you want to do the "moral" thing you could pay for half of a standard fence for the area, but you may find that doesn't appease them anyway.

picture added

Thanks for all the feedback and link.

I have attached the picture of the finished work, will like some feedback if this cost $1600 to build especially anyone who has recently build a side fence, or tradie to verify quote.

The work quoted (MS word, no name of tradie, contact number etc, anyone could have done this)

-Excavate where required to level ground around proposed fence.
-Supply, install & finish (woodland grey paint) galvanised steel fence posts in concrete post footings
- Tie in proposed timber fence neatly with existing fence pillar
- rubbish removal

Length of side fence is 5.5m and there are 6 post (1 behind garage wall).

Side fence high 1.2m cascading, Fence post 50x50x3mm (2.4m length) ~ $43, give an take use 4 pieces (including waste) - $169.

Wood (i believe used for decking) - say $5/lm x 5.5m x 10 = $275 (saw non painted version for $3 and $6 for painted ones)

Half of 1st pillar (blueboard construct) with foundation dug and cement - can't estimate this $

Looks to be using post hole digger and bag of premix concrete, Labour for side fence?

Looking at the link: it seems that I don't have to pay at all, quoting the Jackson and Jackson vs Takacs, well at least the neighbour was being notified by the Jacksons. I wasn't even being notified/consulted!

Cheers
Irawin

Attachments

• IMG_20120915_113312[1].jpg
    IMG_20120915_113312[1].jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Added quote and pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20120915_161047[1].jpg
    IMG_20120915_161047[1].jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20120915_103336[1].jpg
    IMG_20120915_103336[1].jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 186
I would go out and buy a box of Cadbury Favourites and leave them on their doorstep with a note 'Thanks for the fence!'

pinkboy

Refuse to pay for such a terrible job.
Have a go at how uneven and inconsistent the spacings between the slats are.
Tell them you don't want the posts on your side of the fence.

Thanks guys, I have printed out the Fences Act SA (1975) and the link provided by Legal Services Commission and will provide them to my neighbour for discussion.

I have also spoken to someone at Legal Services commission this morning and the advice was I do not need to contribute to the cost as the Notice of intention (form 1) was never served to me.

I still will like if forum members can assist to advise if the side fence does cost $1640 to build!

Cheers
Irawin

I still will like if forum members can assist to advise if the side fence does cost $1640 to build!

Cheers
Irawin

You will never know.

People value their time differently, so if the fence builder thinks he is more valuable than others, he will charge more.
If the customer agreed and paid, that is the cost.

You could probably get the same fence done for less, depends on market conditions.

Just a question.

Did the same fencer do the neighbors front fence and was it done at the same time?

Reason I ask it there is a high likely hood that the neighbor is paying for the lot with this one quote presented to you, so trying to get you to pay half for all his fencing.

To get some comparable is indicative prices simply phone some other fence mobs describe what you are after and ask them for an approximate price per meter. I do this all the time before getting people out as it wastes my time and their time if they are way outside the ball park. You will have to talk them around and obviously put off those, that absolutely insist on coming out, but it just needs some phone calls.

On the calcs you have done the materials run to about $500 so for a fencer $800 -1000 for the job.

Cheers

Just a question.

Did the same fencer do the neighbors front fence and was it done at the same time?

Reason I ask it there is a high likely hood that the neighbor is paying for the lot with this one quote presented to you, so trying to get you to pay half for all his fencing.

That is my suspicion for me to pay for HALF FOR ALL his fence (front & side). He had the foundation dug off for the front fence first, once dried. They build the 4 pillars (blue board) and then came back another time to do the side fence.

On the calcs you have done the materials run to about $500 so for a fencer $800 -1000 for the job.
Cheers

Can you please clarify this, are you saying that it costs $800 to $1000 labour just to do the side fence alone??? Ouch!

That is my suspicion for me to pay for HALF FOR ALL his fence (front & side). He had the foundation dug off for the front fence first, once dried. They build the 4 pillars (blue board) and then came back another time to do the side fence.

Can you please clarify this, are you saying that it costs $800 to $1000 labour just to do the side fence alone??? Ouch!

If materials are $500 then it is save to assume that the total charge by a fencer would be $1000 - That is for labour and material.

So your contribution should be about $500.

Cheers

Back