Friend is a tenant and has a BIG problem. Any ideas?

I have a friend in Brisbane with a big problem.

She is renting after a nasty divorce, and has been in the house for two and half years with a lease ending in mid-December. She was not aware of her rights and the owner told her a few weeks ago he would be selling the house and she would need to find a new rental because the new owners would either want vacant possession, or they would put her rent up. (I know both these are absolute rubbish, but my friend panicked, and didn't check with RTA.)

She is a very clever woman, but has a LOT of other stuff happening in her life (work issues, mother issues, brother issues, ex-husband issues, children issues - all causing grief right now - and she just panicked and thought she had better find a new place to rent).

She found a suitable unit where her small dog would be accepted and in desperation signed a lease. Three days later she realised she had made a terrible mistake and asked the landlady if she could change her mind, offering her the two weeks in advance and even all of the bond if necessary. Landlady told her no. Told her she was up for rent until she found another tenant.

I know this is perfectly legal and my friend knows she cannot do anything other than keep paying double rent until the unit has been rented. She has never been given a key and my concern is that this landlady could be very picky with who she finds, knowing she has six weeks cash in her hand and is legally entitled to rent from my friend until it is let.

Landlady said she has already sent the bond off (self-managing) and I suggested my friend call RTA on Monday to see if it is lodged yet, but ten days is not up anyway. All monies were paid in cash.

All the landlady has really lost (my understanding) is three days but I understand she has probably lost a week, plus any other prospective tenants she had. I would have ripped up the lease, or possibly taken a week's rent, but perhaps I am too soft. My friend is stressed to the eyeballs, and needs to minimise her losses.

I suggested she not pay any more money, that six weeks is ample time for the landlady to find a suitable tenant. I know legally she is bound to keep paying, but I fear the landlady is possibly in no rush, and could be turning away tenants she would normally accept because she is holding six weeks' rent and has time to be more fussy than she would have been otherwise.

I also suggested my friend call the RTA to see if she has any way of finding out if and when the place is rented, or the landlady could just keep all her money and not let on that she has found a new tenant and is double dipping.

I suggested too that it is my understanding under the new laws that the landlady has to have a very good reason to stop my friend sub-letting to someone she finds herself, though this would not be ideal. At least it could minimise her loss, but could bring further issues she really doesn't need.

I also suggested she lodge a form claiming her bond, so that at least the landlady has to somehow show the RTA the reason she is claiming all four weeks of the bond, and she might have to prove to the RTA that it is not let.

I would also think that if my friend refuses to pay any more money, she would have good case if the landlady takes her to tribunal, because I think six weeks in the Brisbane market is more than enough time to find a new tenant. I believe the tribunal would agree, but who knows?

My friend knows she made this mess herself, and the reason for my post is to get any ideas of how best for her to limit her losses.

I am wondering if she has not been given a key, if that helps her case?

I have told her that her current landlord has blatently lied to her by telling her she needs to leave before he lease is up and that her lease is ironclad, and that a new owner takes over the lease, and also cannot raise her rent. She now knows she could agree to leave early if it suits her, or if he offers her some compensation to leave early.

Of course, she could ask him if she can leave now, but I feel very sure he will want it ALL his way and he would insist that she stays until he wants her to leave. I suppose she could ask him, but I reckon he will not release her early unless it suits him, and the place is not even on the market yet.

I couldn't sleep last night because I was so upset for her and so mad at the existing landlord, and the new landlady who will not allow her any leeway, even though my friend has made a very generous offer of nearly $3000 to be let out of the lease.

If this landlady finds a tenant this weekend, my friend may only lose one to three weeks, but I worry that the landlady will try to keep all the money.

Have your friend start looking for applicants for the new place.Insist she gets a key so she can show the place herself. If the new landlady declines any applicant, your friend may be able to show the tribunal new LL is being unreasonable.

Does she have anything in writing the current LL wants her out? She may be just able to leave now, without penalty. Sounds like they will want your friend out eventually, at least now she has a place to go to.

Have your friend apply to the VCAT and take her current LL to court. Inform the court she has found a new place as required, and wants to be released.

The landlord has denied the tenant free access to the premises according to the term of the lease. ( no key )
The landlord has breached
lodge immediately
seek voiding of the lease
and complensation for being denied access to the premises

Last edited:
The landlord has denied the tenant free access to the premises according to the term of the lease. ( no key )
The landlord has breached
lodge immediately
seek voiding of the lease
and complensation for being denied access to the premises

thankyou.

to the OP - most landlords really don't like locking horns with angry lunatics who have knowledge of the law. Present yourself as such, and they'll let it go quicksmart.

Hi Wylie,

She must contact the govt dept on Monday, explain what has happened and let them tell her what rights she has.

Then she or they, contact the LL and read them the riot act.

A lot of LLs don't know the rules and say what suits them, time for some DD.

Load up both barrels and let them have it !!

Thanks everyone.

Macca, are you meaning read the riot act to the existing landlord who has lied to her and caused her to get into this trouble, or to the new landlady who has really done nothing wrong, but has possibly not issued a receipt (checking with my friend), possibly not lodged the bond (but still has time to do so), and has not handed over the keys.

I think my friend could have a good case if any of the above three things have not happened, and I will be suggesting she call the RTA first up tomorrow.

I also suggested she lodge the form claiming her bond back so that at least the landlady cannot get in first, and might have to justify why she is claiming the bond.

I'm thinking my friend should issue a notice of intention to leave so that at least she has done the right thing in wanting to back out of the lease. RTA can confirm this in the morning.

I just wish she had called me (or the RTA) before jumping in to the new lease, but with the other crap she is dealing with, I totally understand that this was just the final straw in a string of disasters she is dealing with and she wasn't thinking it through before acting.

I just wish she had called me (or the RTA) before jumping in to the new lease, but with the other crap she is dealing with, I totally understand that this was just the final straw in a string of disasters she is dealing with and she wasn't thinking it through before acting.

Seeing as though you know your way around the RTA in Qld quite well, couldn't you offer to deal with the other parties on 'her behalf'. Couldn't she make you her power of attorney, so you can act for her in an official capacity in this real estate section of her life, and she can get on with sorting out the rest of her life.

Have just had oldest son visit, who is working for a PM office. He has given me the site for her to request an urgent QCAT hearing, hopefully within four days or so.

He said that if the landlady has not issued keys, my friend needs to lodge application to QCAT to get out of the lease anyway, so I think QCAT is her best bet tomorrow morning, asking for an urgent hearing.

I am hoping that with having not received any keys, the landlady has actually breached her responsibilities. Not sure yet whether my friend got receipts for two weeks rent, and four weeks' worth of bond.

Either way, the landlady will have to prove her case to take ALL of the bond and I will ensure my friend doesn't accept losing all her money unless absolutely necessary.

I would think that QCAT might limit her losses at six weeks at worst, even if the landlady takes longer to find another tenant, because six weeks is plenty of time to find a tenant, plus the fact that I believe the new landlady has not done things correctly anyway.

I'd also like to get hold of the current landlord and give him a piece of my mind.

Getting any sort of authority for me to deal with this would take longer than getting an urgent QCAT hearing. I just hate to think of her losing $3000 when she has lost so much due to her @$$hole ex-husband already. Just what she doesn't need right now.

I know the RTA boss from childhood (but have only seen her once in probably 20 years) and would be happy to make a call. Obviously things will take due course, but I just also think that if this friend goes in with correct knowledge and the landlord and landlady know that she has a contact up high, they might just back up a bit, realise she has access to the correct laws and information, and they might stop bullying her.

Seeing as though you know your way around the RTA in Qld quite well, couldn't you offer to deal with the other parties on 'her behalf'. Couldn't she make you her power of attorney, so you can act for her in an official capacity in this real estate section of her life, and she can get on with sorting out the rest of her life.

Wylie,
knowing some of the other things you have on in your life at the moment, DONT DO IT!! give her the tools and information, but dont take on the problem as your own. Another time, it would be fine. But now, you should try to stay on the sidelines.

Hi Wylie,

I believe that she needs to know her rights for both positions.

I feel that both landlords are being a bit harsh and if she was up to date with her rights she could probably give both of them something to think about.

I hope the QCAT can see her soon and I am sure they will help her to know which way to proceed from there.

I think not having keys is a red herring. It's not that the landlady has refused to give her one, but that your friend doesn't want to occupy the property, so I wouldn't push that line. Besides which, this argument all falls apart when the landlady says "fine, here are your keys". ;)

Your friend should issue a Notice of Intention to Leave (on her new premises, not her current one) immediately, and lodge a claim for the bond, and yes, the landlady will have to prove good faith efforts to obtain another tenant, such as advertisements placed and a log of enquiries and inspections.

With regard to where she's been living, she has a lease until December, so she should just sit tight and scratch "find somewhere else to live" off her to do list for now, and focus on getting some of her other issues sorted.

Also check that the new landlord has done absolutely everything right, because any of the following common errors can invalidate the lease:

* not giving the tenant a copy of the lease (18a) prior to her paying a holding deposit (or handing over any money),
* not including lessor's address AND phone number on the 18a, and
* not giving the tenant a copy of Renting a house or unit in Queensland
(Form 17a) at the time of signing the lease,

amongst others.

Thanks Perp. Have spoken to friend tonight. She signed the lease but has not been given a copy, nor has she been given the keys, but I think she said the lease was to start a few days after she signed, so the keys were probably to be given to her on the start day. That is when we hand over keys if the lease is signed to start later than the signing of the lease.

Not sure if she was given a booklet. That is worth checking too. Thanks.

Friend said one week was deposit, one week rent in advance and four weeks bond. I will make sure she reads your post before she calls RTA or tries to book an urgent hearing.

Worked today and got a text from friend saying "Not an optimistic advisor at RTA. She said I can either contact Qcat tomorrow or file an intention to leave and then a claim for bond. She didn't think any of the other things such as no keys/lease or renting booklet mattered as I signed lease. Will call Qcat in the morning but will also have filled out intention and claim for bond ready if I have to send it off."

I'm thinking of calling Tenants Union for her tomorrow and maybe RTA to see if I get the same answer regarding the fact that the lease and booklet have not been given to my friend.

I called Tenant Union for my friend while she was at work yesterday. Was advised that the landlady is in breach if she hasn't sent a copy of the lease and/or keys and the booklet within 14 days, which is today. She risks a $1000 fine. Passed this information on to my friend and hoping she will pursue this aspect.

Tenant Union, when I explained the situation so it was clearly understood (took a few tries :)) suggested that she lodge an application for an urgent QCAT hearing, probably will be within two weeks. Chap said because my friend doesn't want to live in the new place, and never moved in, that to give notice of intention to leave is not what she should do, but go straight to an urgent hearing.

Today she gets an email from the agent/landlady saying she must pay another two weeks' rent. I suggested she not pay another cent. She said QCAT said she must do the right thing under the terms of the lease..... but the landlady has NOT done the right thing, and I told her about many cases here on SS where tenants stop paying. At worst, I would think the landlady will claim some of the bond.

I am strongly suggesting no more money go to the landlady but that decision is up to my friend. If it means she is in breach of the lease, then that also can be said of the landlady/agent.

Landlady turns out to be a real estate agent, and the place is owned by her son.

I emailed yesterday to enquire if the place was available. Got a return email saying yes and did I want to see it. I emailed back saying was it going to be open this Saturday...... No.

I suggested to my friend that she offer to hold an open house. If they refuse, she has more case to prove they are not doing all they can to find a new tenant.

The other biggie is that the agent said, in the email saying how she is trying to find a tenant, and asking for another two weeks rent, that as soon as my friend advised she wanted out, she put the sign back on the balcony and also put it in re.com, domain etc.

It is indeed on those sites, with "available from 20th May" :eek::eek::eek:

My friend advised she would not be moving in on the 9th May. I believe this fact means my friend has lost 11 days and I believe the fact that that date is on the listing will go against the landlady/agent. I have printed out a copy just in case she realises and changes the listing.

Any other thoughts, good people of SS?

Wylie

Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.

Some people work to solve problems and some people work to create problems.

Being a REA doesn't always mean the person understand property management.

Playing devil's advocate - The REA could be stressed too as it is her son's property so he may need the rent desperately too.

Will be interested in the outcome.

Regards
Sheryn

I'm wondering if it is worth offering to the agent NOT to report her and have her risk a $1000 fine in exchange for a accepting the two weeks already paid with no further liability?

I know I've waded in to this debate late but it seems the landlady is well within her rights to do what she is doing.

The tenant has signed a lease. Part of her lease obligations is that if she leaves early she has to continue paying rent until a new tenant is found.

She has not received keys because she has informed the agent she does not want to occupy the property. So this is the same as receiving the keys and returning them.

Copies of lease documents etc are not going to help. They are a side issue. The landlady has really done nothing wrong that I can see and has followed the law.

Your friend has admitted they made the mistake. QCAT might help by limiting the time taken to find a new tenant if they think the current time is unreasonable. But I think that's about it.

I don't disagree tubs... but the landlady still needed to give my friend a copy of the lease within 14 days, which she didn't do, regardless of whether my friend had keys. She can be fined 10 points (?) and risks a $1000 fine.

Landlady is a real estate agent, and should know better. The house belongs to her son. She didn't hold an open house to get it rented quickly and she put in the advert that it was available 11 days after she was told my friend would not be moving in.

My friend knows full well she made a costly mistake, she knows she has to pay until it is rented, but the agent has not acted within the law, and I hope my friend files the forms to have her lose points and/or fined.

Heard yesterday that the place is now leased. Agent offered to refund the full bond, but didn't offer to refund any of the second lot of two weeks' rent that was paid :rolleyes:

My friend has "reminded her" about that.

What got up my nose was that the agent expected my friend to do all she was obliged to under the law, whilst the agent herself didn't complete her side of the contract. How fair is that?

Anyway, it is all over, red rover. My friend has said she will call me before she makes any more real estate decisions. Unfortunately with her having a horrid ex-husband causing constant grief, an ill mother doing the same and a brother who isn't interested, it comes down to having nobody to bounce ideas off.

With the current landlord telling her a bold face lie, she just panicked.

I have advised her to get ready for the current landlord to try to scare her again and have suggested she have her answers rehearsed. He is going to get a shock when his plans to sell and have her move due to his telling her the buyers will either kick her out or raise her rent are thwarted.

Wylie,
How do you know if the current owner sells, that the new owners will not kick her out or put up her rent?
Maybe you could buy it?

Back