First Home Buyers

IV, I thought your properties were in Melbourne (purchased recently?) where there has already been a significant boom in construction/supply?

When do you expect the first rate rise to occur?

Property doesn't seem like the best vehicle for a trade like this given the high entry/exit costs, surely there was a resi construction company or something like that you could have bought instead?

I don't like buying properties in FHB land. I think you really need economies of scale to pull it off well due to the high cost of developing in Victoria for low-cost items.

IV, I thought your properties were in Melbourne (purchased recently?) where there has already been a significant boom in construction/supply?

When do you expect the first rate rise to occur?

Property doesn't seem like the best vehicle for a trade like this given the high entry/exit costs, surely there was a resi construction company or something like that you could have bought instead?

5 were purchased in 2007, one sold in 2010, two purchased in 2013.

The two recent purchases stack up very well on net yields vs interest. They are generating a cash return of around 7% or higher (without calculating tax effect issues such as depreciation).

Any capital growth will be multiplied by the leverage factor of 3.3 (30% deposit required to obtain the borrowing interest rate of 4.1%).

Therefore total return will be yield (since it is cash flow positive) + (capital growth x capital growth multiplier).

As interest rates rise I will start to offload the worst property first (which is one bought in 2007) and continue to offload as interest rates rise. With 6 properties the number that would be sold would be dependent on the quantum of interest rate rises over the cycle.

However I would hold a minimum of two as I would not like to be priced out of the market and my properties are all just medium priced apartments.

As to the first interest rate rise, I don't know when this will occur. I am guessing somewhere around 2015, but this is just a guess.

Entry costs are high, exit costs not so much, but of course there is CGT payable on exit.

Back