Fire Hydrant

Hi guys & gals,

Any issues that I should be aware of with having a fire hydrant in front of the house besides it bursting? Property is in a residential court. Thank you in advance.

Don't park infront of it:
NJ-Gloucester-hose-through-car-759095.jpg

IIRC the law states you can be fined if you park within 1 meter of a hydrant, and you can see what the brigade can do if they want... they could have just used on of the 90 degree outputs instead, but then they would be rewarding whoever parked their car illegally!

Not sure what a residential court is. However it is in your best interest to ensure it is not hidden by bushes / trees or any other object for that matter. This also goes for the hydrant indicator usually a post with the marking of HR or HP may even be a cats eye. Mind you these markers could be on poles / fences etc, except the cats eye.

If a residential court is like a secured estate (gated community) the maintenance is I dare say the Body Corp responsibility and again its in your best interest to ensure these are maintained throughout the estate.

Gated communities are usually private and thus hydrants do not show on water maps for the fire service so time could be lost in an emergency in finding a hydrant.

Not many people like hydrants in thier footpath, driveway or garden its funny how this can change in an emergency.

Brian

I have one out the front of my PPOR and I maintain it.
Keep the round cement block clear of grass and have even re painted it white
so its seen more easily.
I even lift the small flap and clear out all the dirt that builds up over time.

If my house is on fire and Im in side I don't want the brigade running
around looking for one and then taking more time to clean the ballcock
to get there hose connected.

I do know of a property a few streets away who paints his green to match
the grass so it can't be seen.

fire plug - SA

Hi

Bumping up an old post - looking at buying a property with a tree (not significant and fire plug) in front of the property. I have emailed the council to ask them the process of 1) removing a tree in the foot path owned by them and 2) will I still be able to sub-divide the property in a duplex front facing houses because of the fire plug and awaiting their response.

Just like to know if any one has any experience with either issues? bad idea to buy a property with a fire plug or hydrant in front of it??

Cheers
I

Back