Family that lives on $270 per month.

The thread title is misleading. Their monthly spend on groceries is $270. That doesn't include all their other living expenses. They are also receiving Centrelink payments.

I didn't watch the video. I was just going by the text next to it. They would still have electricity and gas service charges, phone, maybe internet, house/car/contents insurance, rates, transport costs, clothes, etc etc. I always take these stories with a grain of salt.

I have grown up with similar family mentality about savings.
Fairly certain that while growing up, family income was much lower compared to it

I didn't watch the video. I was just going by the text next to it. They would still have electricity and gas service charges, phone, maybe internet, house/car/contents insurance, rates, transport costs, clothes, etc etc. I always take these stories with a grain of salt.

Yep, exactly

$270 is quite do-able without living off beans and lentils. Our household of 5 shops once every 4 weeks, and we usually get the bill under $350, and that's with a few luxuries (Chips, Bikkies, Dips, Cheeses, bacon for weekend breakfasts etc) and food for 2 cats and 2 dogs. Admittedly nearly half of our evening meals start with either mince, sausages, or eggs from our chooks, but we put the effort in to be creative with what we've got and nobody feels deprived. There's some really great budget cooking websites out there.

No thread about this yet? You guys are slipping! :cool:

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8864036/australias-tighest-family

They seem to be happy I guess but I would rather work and buy what I want than live this tight. Apparently they only bring in 40k a year but have their house paid off.
For a family of 4 people the Lady in question from the Mans side of things would be one Lady you would hold onto,but with a income like that plus the centerlink payments for the kids,with only the insurance payments rates water maintenance they would be saving money,it will be interesting to see what happens now that the media comes into play..

I saw this the other night, what stood out for me was the fact they paid off their home. If they want to live lean and mean, good on them.

The big question after watching this for me was..... but they have teenagers, at least one think?? that shop for clothes at second hand stores, nothing wrong with this.

But hey guys, I still have one teenager at home and there is no way in this world would she be wearing second hand clothes. How would this effect their psyche?? Its such a cruel world when their peers are wearing the latest fashion etc. How will this effect the children growing up, perhaps insecurities along the way???, perhaps some think this is not an issue, but I do...

MTR:)

But hey guys, I still have one teenager at home and there is no way in this world would she be wearing second hand clothes. How would this effect their psyche?? Its such a cruel world when their peers are wearing the latest fashion etc. How will this effect the children, perhaps some think this is not an issue, but I do...

MTR:)

and clearly the elder one does not like it the way she said 'flip phone' and 'yes, I pay for everything' !

and clearly the elder one does not like it the way she said 'flip phone' and 'yes, I pay for everything' !

Yes, noticed that.
One thing saving money, but perhaps have to spend it later visiting a shrink, cos somehow "they did not fit in".
My partner and I had same reaction.

But hey guys, I still have one teenager at home and there is no way in this world would she be wearing second hand clothes. How would this effect their psyche?? Its such a cruel world when their peers are wearing the latest fashion etc. How will this effect the children growing up, perhaps insecurities along the way???, perhaps some think this is not an issue, but I do...

I was thinking that too. They probably got hammered the next day at school. Kids saying the drink out of the garden hose and dad cuts your hair lol.

After it was on I said to my wife I was going to dilute her hair conditioner. I got a pretty filthy look. :D

What dilute hair conditioner, what a waste. Just stop washing your hair:eek:, solution solved, I reckon you will save $150 pa, mind boggling, there must be other ways to save more pennies

What dilute hair conditioner, what a waste. Just stop washing your hair:eek:, solution solved, I reckon you will save $150 pa, mind boggling, there must be other ways to save more pennies

I don't even know why she has hair conditioner, she goes and gets her hair done at the salon every week anyway! :eek:

Wimmins! tsk tsk.

Yes, earning more. The guy works one day a week as a pastor!

See that is exactly it. I'm happy to do my 5 days and just buy and live however I please. Work really doesn't bother me. I invest and work so in the future I have choices rather than to dilute hair conditioner!

Back