wndow rot.jpg

light.jpg
Sometimes your Building and pest inpections just wont come up to scratch
Personal inspection can be a must

Three obvious things overlooked by our inspectors recently were

Window rot
Indoor gas heater - repositioned outside of the building
and a home made electrical power point outlet - outside

The power point was quite amusing, dangerous, but amusing.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with building inspections?

Bricks & Mortar said:
Window rot
Indoor gas heater - repositioned outside of the building
and a home made electrical power point outlet - outside
Timm just wanted to know did you pay the bill for the inspection.
good luck willair..

Bill

Yes, I have already payed the account,
Haven't pursued it as were tied up with the renos at the moment
and personally think it a bit like locking the gate after the horse has bolted.:(

Thats pretty bad. I would definitely be calling the people responsible for the inspection and asking for a "Please explain". :eek:

Not as bad the above example, but curious nonetheless, when buying our PPOR last December our building inspector told us he could not find a TV aerial either on the roof or in the roof cavity.

No big deal - however we plugged a TV into one of the aerial points in the lounge room and we get perfect TV reception on all channels.

see_change said:
How long before you saw the place was the building inspection done ?

See Change

We spotted them whilst doing a reno.
Inspection report in May, settled 12/07/06.

REPORT SAID
CARPORT:Fungal decay external beams replace
FRONT WINDOWS: No Visible Defect (this is where all the problems are DRY ROT throughout the bottom windows)
REAR WINDOWS: Fungal decay to windows minor (beading missing and windows are in good repair)
I'm guessing the building inspector is a new kid on the block

Does your building inspection include electricals? My understanding is that a building inspection includes only the structural integrity of the house, not powerpoints or electrical items generally.

In an old house, it might be a good idea to get an electrician to take a look at any suspect installations.

Having oberserved a few building inspections, I have to say that the building inspector would have to go through the house at least twice if not three times (preferably a few days apart) in order to see everything or almost everything.

What we have found to be good practice is to do our own visiual inspection in as much detail as possible and point out any areas of concern to the building inspector.

Use the same approach with pest inspection. Learn the basics of looking for evidence of termites and let the pest inspector know of anything that is worrying you.

Remember, both pest and building inspectors have a long disclaimer at the bottom of their report. Long and detailed enough to make you wonder why you just spend $180 for the privilege of..well...a little more expertise than your own? Use the building inspector as an expert advisor. I wouldn't buy a house without one. However, I do inspect as much as I can. Don't just blindly trust them. They are human too and can even miss the obvious.

Scout said:
Does your building inspection include electricals? My understanding is that a building inspection includes only the structural integrity of the house, not powerpoints or electrical items generally.

Remember, both pest and building inspectors have a long disclaimer at the bottom of their report. Long and detailed enough to make you wonder why you just spend $180 for the privilege

They are human too and can even miss the obvious.

Their disclaimer regarding electrical read as follows:
• All Electrical, Plumbing and Gas fitted items is only a visual inspection. Should any further information be required, it is recommended that the client seeks Licensed and Qualified trades people to evaluate.

Their visual should have "seen the light" (excuse the pun)....considering that wiring from the light means it's not earthed and out to the elements, electricution is not possible but probable.:mad:

I wouldn't expect them to pick up that three inside lights weren't properly earthed.

Their cost was close to $600 not $180, and their incompetence was not just limited to the above three mentioned items

We also had a leak in the bathroom which caused the kitchen wall to be effected.

The garage was operated by four extension cords combined together to reach the roller door mechanism (the power unit operating the door was in fact not under cover and out to the elements) also a danger zone.

.........I'm sure my wife would remember a few more!;)

I wouldn't argue that they are human and can make mistakes, but some of these could be lethal and you don't need a degree to find them.

B & M,

When we were selling our renovated PPOR a few years back the purchasers building inspector turned up for the inspection. He wouldn't stop talking about how good a job we had done and what a great old house.....blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, he erected his ladder and climbed up to the manhole to inspect the roof space ( we thought ) only to shine a torch around whilst remaining on the ladder and then promptly climbed down again. He never ventured under the house at all and was there for maybe 15 mins in total. We were happy of course as he had overlooked a few obvious minor problems but we couldn't help but think of how many major problems he would miss on other properties.

He told us that property inspections now took most of his time and building had taken a lesser role. He also said that he had done over 200 inspections that year already ( this was in Oct ). The mind boggles.........talk about easy money.

When we bought our new PPOR we relied upon a building inspection. There were a few things overlooked..........leaking shower causing rot to architraves and stud frame, crack in brickwork over lintel above sliding door, and a few others.

I don't hold any grudges. For me it's swings and roundabouts.

It would be interesting though, in your case, to know whether electricals are the responsibility of the building inspector. And those front windows were obviously overlooked..........I would persue that one for sure. :mad:

Jared

We had the opposite problem when we sold our PPOR ten years ago. We had planned to stay there forever, so everything had been done properly. Building inspector was so nit picking, his report included the gem "cubby house not up to building standards".

What a hoot!! Buyers' solicitor was a family member and caused us a lot of angst, so we demolished the cubby house - end of problem.

They have since ruined a classic house with an ugly extension. Makes me shake my head when I drive past.

Wylie.

B&M

these guys have to get accredited by a builders board, maybe you can get at them via their code of ethics?

I find inspection reports are always, tip of the iceberg, type stuff. Standard phrase indicating problems that you need to pay more to find out about. I find I get more out of face to faces with them when they are doing inspection, they don;t normally kike it, but too bad.

Roger

Back