Exempt Developments - NSW

what's really involved with exempt development?

does this mean you get the smart sheds installed/joined by yourself or some tradie, without any approval from Council or PCA?

just say I have a property with an existing 35m2 outbuilding that was probably used as garage or shed in the past, ie council approved as outbuilding. Can I convert this 35m2 shed/garage to a recreation room under exempt development?

Yes - no approvals required for exempt developments.

The exempt development is up to 20m2 only - but you are allowed two of them in this category. You would need two separate structures for the 35m2.

I'm not an expert in the area - but a lot of garages are converted to recreation rooms without approval - I can't imagine there would be any issue with doing it. It would not involve much to convert it back anyway.

We have an old Dairy (original) which we are considering doing up into a basic one bedroom granny flat. There is currently power and access to water however there is no sewage connection. We were considering running it down to main residence sewage. In terms of council what should we be considering? If the structure and floor plan remains the same are problems from Council or when seeling likely to be a problem. I'm not sure of the dimensions but will grab them now and post later.

We have an old Dairy (original) which we are considering doing up into a basic one bedroom granny flat. There is currently power and access to water however there is no sewage connection. We were considering running it down to main residence sewage. In terms of council what should we be considering? If the structure and floor plan remains the same are problems from Council or when seeling likely to be a problem. I'm not sure of the dimensions but will grab them now and post later.

Unfortunately its over 50m2.

Still keen to do it!

You can check http://www.garageconversion.com.au/ for ideas or call Sergey for quick chat.

I would think a price tag of $30k-50K for the conversion.
There is about $5-7K alone for the drawing and private certifer approval fees alone. Council takes a $4k-18K for Contribution depend on which council.

Don't forget the basix requirement for insulation, water tanks etc adds up to the cost before place becomes deemed livable..

hope this helps.

Bumping an old thread.

Can you have these attached to the back or side of an exisitng property or have them connected by a walkway or breezeway

Back