Excess water rates

Tenants, in their Tenancy Agreem't undertake to pay excess water rates. Does this extend to excess water attributable to a burst mains (between the meter and the house)? Or is it up to the owner to pay or seek rekief from the Council? :confused:

We are applying to the Council for relief (used about $3k in as many months) and had two "repairs". Just thought I'd ask... :p
Thanks willair

Last edited:
I expect my tenant to keep the yard green, so I pay excess water rates. That would change if I saw a bunch of bare assed kids playing under the hose all day though.

T

Something similar happened at my PPOR. In this case the relief valve on my hot water service had been leaking (although I hadn't noticed it, not until I got a huge water bill and went looking). Had it repaired and rang the water company to get some $ back. They said in my case I couldn't because the leak was visible, however if it had been a burst underground pipe then they would have refunded the excess.

fatboy4 said:
We are applying to the Council for relief (used about $3k in as many months) and had two "repairs". Just thought I'd ask... :p
Thanks willair
$3K in water rates? Something is seriously wrong.

I hope your tenant does not have a hydronponic farm on the premises :)

I would have thought that an amount this size was vastly excessive, and indicated a metre or plumbing problem. In that case, I'd be getting the council to check out.

Unfortunately (for the sake of this thread) the one prroperty where I've had this problem was a DHA rpoperty- and DHA pick up excess water bills. There's been a HUGE variation in some of the bills- and the lawn is still dead. So I don't know about the procedures for chasing tenants- other than getting the council to ensure that the reading is correct.

fatboy4 said:
Tenants, in their Tenancy Agreem't undertake to pay excess water rates. Does this extend to excess water attributable to a burst mains (between the meter and the house)? Or is it up to the owner to pay or seek rekief from the Council? :confused:

fatboy
BCC will consider relief for a plumbing problem.
No, it is not the tenants' responsibility.
$3k of water - wonder your yard wasn't washed away.
Lplate

geoffw said:
I would have thought that an amount this size was vastly excessive, and indicated a metre or plumbing problem. In that case, I'd be getting the council to check out.

An easy way to check if you have a water leak is to check the meter before going to bed and record the reading.

Check it again in the morning and see if there has been any movement.

Assuming no-one has had a squirt during the night and flushed the toilet, it should stay the same.

If there is a difference between the 2 readings, you have a leak.

Fatboy4,
Thats a lot of water,one simple way to find if the problem
is inside your property,or outside the fence line is to
turn off the water metre,if the metre still runs then the
fault may be in the metre box or the leak is in the main line to the metre
at least the garden must look good.
good luck
willair..

Thanks for the replies guys. The soil is basically sand and the tenants and manager didn't notice a problem until a paved path subsided. The mains leak was "fixed" but there wasw another leak and 3 months later, a massive bill.

We have had the line replaced.

I guess the lesson is to check the repair as was suggested and not to assume that the property manager will do this (although they should).

We have applied to the local council for relief. We'll see whjat happens.

Thanks again :cool:

Back